SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Christmas package for relative in military in Afghanistan ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Christmas package for relative in military in Afghanistan
Need ideas, please!
AndreaSews
star
AndreaSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/3/09
Send Message

Date: 11/24/11 8:43 PM

I need some ideas! I am hoping some of you may have had some experience with this. A young cousin of mine was just sent to Afghanistan in October. They are fairly isolated, as they are not yet in a camp with internet. He was able to speak to his dad briefly today via a satellite hookup, but were disconnected 3 times in under a minute.

I'd like to get a package off to him for Christmas. His Dad is sending movies, music, and pictures on a memory stick. He recommended cookies and snacks, things they can share with the other guys. They are 8 men in his unit or group. I will bake some cookies, pack some containers of nuts, maybe some toffee popcorn.

I'm not sure what else to send - his Dad didn't have any other ideas. If anyone knows what the kids over there need or like to get in packages from home, please let me know. TIA!

------
Happy Sewing,

Andrea
Babylock Evolve, Singer Featherweight, Janome, and a very old Kenmore hiding in the closet

AK
AK
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/2/04
Send Message

Date: 11/24/11 9:57 PM

In case you don't already know this, I wanted to tell you that there are special priority mail boxes from the USPS for sending things to our troops overseas - my PO usually has them, but you don't have to use the ones marked for APO use to get the reduced shipping rate - the
regular 12x12x5 1/2" boxes should get that same rate ($12.95 rather than $14.95). You will need to complete a customs form. And some things cannot be sent.

These may help-

USPS APO Guidelines

APO boxes

There is a group called "Any Soldier" that has lots of information on what to send and how to do it. They were set up for people to end things to military personnel they don't know, but the site should be helpful for you, too.

HTH

AK
AK
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/2/04
Send Message

Date: 11/24/11 9:59 PM

Here is a link to Any Soldier.

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Date: 11/24/11 10:49 PM

Per the "Any Soldier" link, is says for safety reasons, you can't send homemade (baked) items...sucks....

Per Soldiers Angels website: (from their 6 months of Christmas wishlist)

Socks (must be cotton--boot-style or athletic, or tactical)
Instant hot chocolate and apple cider (individual packets)
Blankets of Belief
Gift cards from Walmart to purchase other needed items for the packages
Christmas cards/letters

http://www.angelsstore.org/category_s/1.htm
is the link to their pre-packaged care packages...one thing to remember...NO PORK PRODUCTS allowed

decks of cards, deodorant, shaving supplies, foot powder, gum, hard candy (no candy that can melt), dental care supplies, mini hand held games and batteries.....trying to remember everything I've sent over the years.....

calling cards, chapstick...erm......

Knit Cap (dark colors only)
2 Pairs of Socks
Hand Warmers
Foot Warmers
2 Packs Kleenex
1 Tube of Chapstick
2 Tins of Tea
Instant Soup

I can keep listing if you need more ideas.....

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

dfr2010
star
dfr2010  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/27/10
Send Message

Date: 11/24/11 10:50 PM

Beef jerky! Soft TP. Gum. Cigs (even if he doesn't smoke). Hard candy. Hard plastic containers to keep all snacks somewhat safe from rodents. Good coffee. Some lip balm. More beef jerky.

Did I mention beef jerky?

ETA: Do NOT send *scented* soaps/deodorants/shampoos ... the insects will not leave you alone if you use those.
-- Edited on 11/24/11 10:51 PM --

------
I don't really make mistakes ... I create "learning opportunities"! Murphy says: The better you match the thread to the fabric, the more likely you will need to rip some stitches out! I spend more quality time with my seamripper than I like ...
Yes, I DO love fabric!!
Happy owner of a band of Brothers: LX-3125, CS-770, CE5500 PRW, a PE-770 emb ... and now Kenmore 158.18032 and 148.12190
Blogging my "learning opportunites" at http://sewingmissadventure.blogspot.com/

AndreaSews
star
AndreaSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/3/09
Send Message

Date: 11/25/11 8:42 AM

Thank you all for such great ideas! You have all been a huge help.
***I'll definitely include beef jerkey, lol!

------
Happy Sewing,

Andrea
Babylock Evolve, Singer Featherweight, Janome, and a very old Kenmore hiding in the closet

AK
AK
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/2/04
Send Message

Date: 11/25/11 1:16 PM

Zip lock bags because they are good for keeping things clean and dry.

CurlySu717
CurlySu717  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/26/06
Send Message

Date: 11/25/11 2:17 PM

I've heard the most needed/wanted items are chapstick, socks, and magazines. Depending on how long he's been gone, even magazine that are several months old will be new to them, and they can pass them around and share them. Based on my DH's magazine preferences, I'd suggest Sports Illustrated, Popular Science and/or Popular Mechanics, and Wired.

------
"To love another person is to see the face of God!" ~Les Miserables

www.lillianbettyandsibyl.blogspot.com

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to AndreaSews

Date: 11/25/11 2:24 PM

I read that the environment is brutal on earbuds and headphones so we donate those for shipping over. As a camper, I know it is hard to find unscented products, so those would be good.

Bicycle shops and outdoor stores like rei have a variety of small items.

We bought bandanas from rei that are infused with insect repellant. Can be worn traditionally or tied around ankle, forearm or attached to a hat. What about coiled mosquito wrist bands.

My safari hat with built in solar fan kept all the bugs away from my face when I was Camp Mom. One of those tine fans that are worn on a.neck strap should be similarly effective.

Cooling neck bands.
Box of individual ampules of non-medicated natural tears.
Small magnifying sheet in protective cover.
Premium blister type band aids that are made to absorb, protect and seal wounds.
Individually wrapped alcohol swabs for personal use or cleaning electronics.
Tyvek envelopes for mini totes, separating electronics,etc
Magneat for headphone cord management.

Travel sized down pillow with tyvek envelope covers and a couple of pillow cases.
-- Edited on 11/25/11 3:48 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

AndreaSews
star
AndreaSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/3/09
Send Message

Date: 11/26/11 11:11 PM

So many creative ideas, thank you all!

------
Happy Sewing,

Andrea

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Christmas package for relative in military in Afghanistan

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Vogue Patterns 8604

photo
by: konniekapo...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1224

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.