Member since 10/26/06
Date: 11/27/11 6:25 PM
So...in what could have been a Thanksgiving disaster... I was setting the table and I put tapers in my great-grandmother's candlesticks and lit them. Then I went back into the kitchen to pull the last tray of rolls out of the oven. I heard a soft thud and the cat jumping down off something. ...Then I remembered the lit candles!
Fortunately, the candle blew out when she knocked it over, and my house didn't catch on fire. But wax got splattered all over the tablecloth. How do I get it out? Picking at it doesn't seem to be doing any good.
Also, on the same subject, how do I get old wax off the candlesticks? And what products do you recommend for polishing brass? (The candlesticks have brass on them.)
"To love another person is to see the face of God!" ~Les Miserables
Member since 12/27/06
Date: 11/27/11 6:31 PM
Try putting the tablecloth in the freezer. In my experience the wax will really, really harden and then pop right off.
I know there are other remedies for wax, but that's what I do. I also do that with candlesticks, but I am sure there must be a better way for those!
Member since 8/24/02
Date: 11/27/11 9:52 PM
I echo what Elizabeth said, but would like to add that for those little bits that don't come off, place a paper towel on them and using the Wool setting on your iron, touch your iron to the tablecloth. The paper towel will absorb any excess.
I used to have brass candle sticks; (or maybe I still do. ) and I used a product called Brasso. It's great stuff, but it is considered toxic. If you want a non-toxic cleaner, here's one:
Quote: I used the first one and it does work well; you have to rub though!
brass or bronze: polish with a soft cloth dipped in lemon and baking-soda solution, or vinegar and salt solution. Another method is to apply a dab of ketchup on a soft cloth and rub over tarnished spots.
Kitty's lucky she didn't catch herself on fire! And I'm sure she'll pay more close attention next time and not jump up on the table.
-- Edited on 11/27/11 9:53 PM --
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine
SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/
Member since 4/1/08
In reply to CurlySu717
Date: 11/27/11 10:07 PM
Ohhh, that is a happy ending. A friend's son and DIL forgot about their candle centerpiece and it burned a hole right through the center of their heavy oak table.Luckily they woke up before it spread any further.
More recently, a birthday gift with a beautiful gossamer ribbon was set in front of my friend while she was reading her birthday card. Everyone was so busy chatting it took a bit to get her attention. She was on the kitchen side of the table and was able to get it to the sink. I started to get up and once I saw her pretty over the sink sheers catch the flame I was pretty amazed at how quickly I made it around the table and into the kitchen. Soaked a towel and wrapped the curtains in it and laid another wet towel over the still dangerous birthday package. In the meantime, the friend who had given her the package was cautioning us that we should be careful not to damage the present inside! !
Those flameless candles are looking pretty appealing.
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.
* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Candle + Kitty = Trouble