SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Losing Weight...Victoria's Secret...etc. ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Losing Weight...Victoria's Secret...etc.
No spice here...just general ramblings..
JillyBean333
star
JillyBean333
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 10/20/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/28/11 3:45 PM

As is always the case this time of year, I need to lose a few pounds...and as I'm now over 40 it's getting tougher. So I've been out on the internet again reading about various ways of eating and I'm starting to get really angry. First of all, everyone has become SO obsessed with food. One of our Thanksgiving guests this year has gone low carb and she brings her own food (fine...um Turkey is low carb) and that's fine....but she's sitting there eating salad just full of ham, bacon, cheese, a small amount of lettuce and then covers it with salad dressing. UM...I'm sorry...how is that healthy?

Then there's your raw food people. Never eat anything that's not a fruit or a vegetable and never cook it (I guess I'm just a cold person and hate the idea of never eating anything that's hot). Vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free people, and trust me I'm allergic to fish...so I guess I'm no different. I think it's just the insane obsessing from everyone that's driving me nuts.

So I guess this just brings me to my next thing. Victoria's Secret. I blame them. It's the idea that women need to have 3% body fat to be beautiful and I'm sorry, but it's gross. I don't even understand how/why men can even be turned on by someone who's ribs are showing and who's hip bones are sticking out and who looks like they've been through some kind of horrible famine. But whatever, it obviously sells...and makes women want to starve themselves.

Anyway, I give up..not on the healthy eating thing...but I intend to eat a very varied diet with much much much more healthy fare than I have been eating and I refuse to turn into some obsessed person who can never again enjoy an ice cream cone. On the same token, I'll probably never even aspire to fit in anything Victoria's secret. DH a few years ago went in and bought me something nice (in a size Large) which would have fit me fine from any other store on the face of the planet....but from there...um...no.

Anyway, sorry for the rant...but it just gets sadder and sadder every year.

------
JillyBean
http://craftysupreme.etsy.com

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Subject: Losing Weight...Victorias Secret...etc. Date: 11/28/11 3:48 PM

I feel your pain lol.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 11/28/11 4:25 PM

With the Internet and Cable, it's all in your face all the time too.
At least I have noticed that the Jersey Girls and that type have so many competitors now that everyone is getting less than their 15 minutes of fame--maybe they'll get none eventually? I also think our generation of movie stars like DeNiro, Pacino, Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson may be the last with such long careers.
Real people with real lives like the hoarders, alligator wrestlers, and hog-chasers are much more fun! Just refuse to read movie mags or watch the Hollywood gossip shows.

We love Biggest Loser, think it has helped acceptance of those with weight issues and will be going down to the kids next. I have definitely gotten "squarer" over the years, even tho the weight remains constant. We have to learn "healthy" comes in sizes too.
Re VS--sizes mean nothing these days. I can wear 3 sizes. Places like that change things to 0+ to con women. Remember the Seinfeld episode where he even changed the waist-size patch on his jeans so he could still be a 34?!
-- Edited on 11/28/11 4:30 PM --

Plantwizard
star
Plantwizard
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 2/14/03
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 11/28/11 4:28 PM

Let's not forget that those scrawny Victoria's Secret models get their boobs courtesy of silicon or padding and serious push up action. I hate to break it to men, or should I say boys, but boobs generally require a certain amount of body fat.

My 20 year old daughter who is 5'7' and a competitive swimmer came home once from a store stocking designer type stuff (she was fantasy shopping since she's a poor college student) bitching about how even the size large didn't fit her shoulders and boobs. Any normal objective woman would look at her body and be jealous and normal red blooded guys would start to drool. Something's seriously wrong when she has trouble finding clothes. She can however, wear Victoria's Secret bras and panties.

So yeah there's something the matter with our attitude towards food and bodies. I know the low carb thing has worked really well for Debbie Cook but Learn to Sew is struggling with it. I think you've got the right idea with moderation. Too bad I'm not good with moderation!

Jan

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 11/28/11 6:09 PM

I don't think it men that buy into the sizing thing.
I think it is the women who buy into all that advertising hype. After all most of us are not that thin nor have we ever been.
The idea being that if we buy their stuff we will look like their models.....right
You would think some smart advertising person would have figured out that the market place is made up of bigger women and start pandering to us.
We could start a revolt?
I have also thought about the people who design clothes, it is easier to design things that don't have to go over any bumps than it is to fit hills and valleys.

------
Ada

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 11/28/11 6:15 PM

So yeah there's something the matter with our attitude towards food and bodies.

Sure is when 68% of the population is overweight or obese.
-- Edited on 11/28/11 6:21 PM --

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Plantwizard

Date: 11/28/11 6:18 PM

Quote: Plantwizard
Let's not forget that those scrawny Victoria's Secret models get their boobs courtesy of silicon or padding and serious push up action.

And let's not forget - you can bet those ads have been manipulated to remove any hint of imperfection, whether due to a blemish, hair out of place, or a slightly saggy bit.

As far as the picky eaters - unless they have a serious/deadly food allergy, I'd say it's kind of rude to bring your own food, and eat nothing else. Even if you say nothing, someone will notice your plate isn't full or has only your item. I know the real focus should be sharing time with family and friends, but still..... Although I must confess that there have been times that I've eaten the "wrong" thing at a holiday meal, and had a struggle behaving myself afterward - it was just soooooo goooooooooood being bad! Maybe they are afraid that they won't regain control after letting go for 1 meal?
Immelu
star
Immelu  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 5/6/06
Send Message

Date: 11/28/11 7:34 PM

there's a book out there called Intuitive Eating> People who are concerned with this topic should read it. It's a bit repetitive, but the concepts are ones that everyone should pay attention to...but doesn't.
-- Edited on 11/28/11 7:35 PM --

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 11/28/11 8:17 PM

Quote: JillyBean333
but she's sitting there eating salad just full of ham, bacon, cheese, a small amount of lettuce and then covers it with salad dressing. UM...I'm sorry...how is that healthy?

Because proteins, natural (animal and plant) fats, and fiber *is* healthy. I've lost over 75 lbs in the last 7 months eating pretty much that type of diet - low carb, high protein, good fats. My usual lunch salad is very similar to what you described above. And yes, good fats do exist and your body needs them. Manipulated low-fat this-and-that are NOT healthy, no matter how much the food manufacturers, and the government which is in their pockets, try to push it at you otherwise.

This type of eating plan isn't for everyone, but don't knock it for those who like it and do very well with it. I will eat this way for the rest of my life, and only wish I had done the research and modified my diet years ago.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/28/11 8:22 PM

Jilly (and everyone else), this ad from Fruit of the Loom should cheer you up:

"Flawless" video

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Losing Weight...Victoria's Secret...etc.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 1257

photo
by: Naehfreund...

Review
Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.