SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Poofy holiday skirt - need pattern! ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Poofy holiday skirt - need pattern!
in search of pattern
errantpear
star
errantpear  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 6/27/10
Send Message

Subject: Emma Watson brocade skirt - need pattern! Date: 11/29/11 10:38 AM

Hi there! I'm looking to recreate this skirt modeled by the lovely Emma Watson in Teen Vogue:

Anyone know a good pattern to work off of? Also, I'm curious to know what other people are sewing for the holidays!
-- Edited on 11/29/11 12:50 PM --

edot
star
edot
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 1/9/06
Send Message

Date: 11/29/11 1:17 PM

looks like a mary katrantzou maybe? that'd be a good place for inspiration, anyway--she's awesome.
not counting the separation of the two front panels (you could also turn that into a box pleat in a single piece of fabric), I think you're basically looking for a modified dirndl skirt; just edit the gathers into pleats for a smoother waistline. A sort of stiff fabric will probably be important here--something drapey won't maintain that lampshade shape. And underlining might be a good idea here no matter what.
There are a couple current dress patterns that might work: V1273 has potential I think, though you'd probably want to increase the hem fullness. and bonus points for there being a waistline seam here, unlike...
M6463, which you'd have to futz around with a little (maybe just add a contoured waistband instead of the side bodice panels?). I think the central panel of this skirt helps control the poof, not to mention that it'll be more flattering to those of us (e.g. me) who don't look their best in all those CF gathers.
as for holiday sewing, I haven't decided what (if anything) I want to tackle. I have a couple of fancy options for parties already in my closet, so ... I may procrastinate again! I seem to do that every year.

------
"You have a better life if you wear impressive clothes." -Vivienne Westwood

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 2:58 PM

NL6872 would be a good place to start- adding the inverted center pleat as mentioned by edot, and underlining it -you might possibly need to add a little to the bottom circumference- I can't tell.

-- Edited on 11/30/11 2:59 PM --

------
You can judge the true character of a man by the way he treats the people
who can do nothing for him

errantpear
star
errantpear  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 6/27/10
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 3:42 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm trying to decipher if it could be done with your basic rectangular shape like for a dirndl skirt - modifying the gathers in the front to a pleat - or if there's some other type of pattern trickery used to achieve that shape.

edot
star
edot
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 1/9/06
Send Message

In reply to errantpear

Date: 11/30/11 5:09 PM

fair warning: I have never done this, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I'm not sure if you can achieve this extreme sort of bell shape with just a rectangle. I'm thinking that the pleat/s and/or dart/s that you'll want to control the fullness of the skirt will need some contouring and shaping to give you a minimum of bulk at the waistline. (Think of how the top of a darted pencil skirt has jagged shaping going on where the sides of the dart meet, like piece #2 in this B5566.) It might also help to peg the skirt hemline a bit, to keep the poof-look a bit exaggerated. Here's an older (1960s) McCall's dress pattern that gives you the idea.

------
"You have a better life if you wear impressive clothes." -Vivienne Westwood

Silknmore
star
Silknmore  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 5:47 PM

I was also thinking that a rectangle of fabric would work with the pleat in front. However it also appears that there are box pleats on the left side, so I wonder if it possibly has pleats all around and they meet in front. Please share what you come up with.

Annette

------
Silknmore
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/1/11 0:11 AM

D&G top and skirtEmma Watson

------

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/1/11 8:09 AM

A few years back, dressier skirts were being made with an elastic/butram at the bottom to give this look.
That might work too if you don't want the hips to look too wide.
M 6154 is a style I have for grandkids like this.

Silknmore
star
Silknmore  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 12/1/11 8:36 AM

From the front view, it appears that the front is not pleated, but is an overskirt, either with a full or partial underskirt. Either way, you could do a muslin to give it a try. Also will need a very stiff crinoline to keep it so poofy.

Again, good luck
Annette

------
Silknmore
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/1/11 2:16 PM

If this is an overskirt it is a very 1950's idea- like this: 1950's simplicity pattern
you may be able to find a viintage pattern that will fill the bill.
-- Edited on 12/1/11 2:18 PM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Poofy holiday skirt - need pattern!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Butterick 4807

photo
by: LakesideLa...

Review

Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.