SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > SILK velvet blazer ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
SILK velvet blazer
SpaceBolt
SpaceBolt
Member since 11/30/11
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 7:29 PM

Note: I'm a fabric newbie.

So I was looking at this blazer today in Banana Republic:

Velvet Blazer
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25789&vid=1&pid=875100&scid=875100002

..and on the tag, I didn't see anything that said velvet. So I asked the salesperson why it didn't have velvet listed as the material if it's a velvet blazer she had no idea. She asked the manager and she didn't know either. It did mention cotton, viscose, and some other stuff, though.

So I got back to my computer at work and found out that velvet is actually just the fabric, but it is made of fibers such as silk, cotton, linen, mohair, and wool.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet)

Anyway, my question is: If a 100% cotton velvet blazer from Banana Republic costs $250, then how much does a 100% SILK velvet blazer cost? Are they really rare/fancy/expensive?

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 8:14 PM

Silk velvet is kind of rare to find these days, and if you can find the fabric, it is usually very expensive. Lots of higher end velvet is made out of rayon, or a rayon/silk blend. I was able to find some silk velvet about a year ago from Fabric Mart, I don't remember the cost exactly but I think it was less than $20/yd, which is a steal. The nap of this velvet is definitely more luxe than the rayon/silk velvet I have in my stash.

I think it is just cost prohibitive these days to be making pure silk velvet. I can only imagine the fabulous silk textiles of the days of old....

If you're interested in buying some rayon/silk velvet, check out Dharma Trading. The last time I checked they had this blend for sale, ready to be dyed. I am NAYY with either Dharma or Fabric Mart, just an addicted and happy customer.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 8:22 PM

The questions you're asking (here and in your other thread) don't have single, simple, straightforward answers. There are lots of factors that go into these things that make them more complicated than just "cotton velvet = $250, therefore silk velvet =$XXX."

First of all, most silk velvet isn't 100% silk. It has silk pile on a rayon ground fabric. I believe there *are* 100% silk velvets, but I have personally never seen one (I personally have also never seen linen or mohair velvet, although I know they're out there on high-end upholstery).

Second, silk velvet has *incredible* drape. It looks lush and liquid, as you can see in this silk velvet robe. It has a very soft, flowy hand, which is quite different than you'd typically want in a very structured garment like a man's suit coat or blazer. Cotton velvet, OTOH, has a nice, stiffer body, wears well, and makes wonderful structured pieces like jackets.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to SpaceBolt

Date: 11/30/11 8:23 PM

If you have never put your paws on pure silk velvet, both base and nap of silk, you would drop your teeth upon doing so. If feels like the finest mink, snd the fibers are impossibly dense and lustrous.

Scroll down here to get some info on this fabric:

http://www.silksheetsguide.com/terms/

More than thirty years ago, I got s couple of yards of this stuff in Germany, and I paid an arm and a leg for it for a friend (not for myself). I have never even seen it over here, but I imagine that real fabric stores like Britex might have it.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 11/30/11 8:39 PM

Quote: Elona
If you have never put your paws on pure silk velvet, both base and nap of silk, you would drop your teeth upon doing so. If feels like the finest mink, snd the fibers are impossibly dense and lustrous.

This describes my silk velvet exactly. I went back into my history and it was only $15/yd. I bought 2 yards, wish I had gotten more! Absolutely stunning.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

SpaceBolt
SpaceBolt
Member since 11/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 11/30/11 9:50 PM

Quote: Elona
Scroll down here to get some info on this fabric:

http://www.silksheetsguide.com/terms/

Oh wow, the website says: Silk Velvet pure silk velvet is very expensive (close to $1,000 a yard) and not widely available. Most silk velvet today is a blend of silk and rayon.

I thought that silk velvet might be just a little more expensive than cotton velvet, but guess not. I guess cotton will do!
MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 10:52 PM

Why did I look?? Oh mercy, why did I look????

http://www.thesilkfabricstore.com/display.asp?searchFor=&book=1391&page=1&pgcnt=66&orderby=price

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 11/30/11 11:06 PM

I have silk velvet I purchased some years back and made into a top just last year. It drapes incredibly and is so lush. It is really really yummy to wear.
-- Edited on 11/30/11 11:08 PM --

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

SpaceBolt
SpaceBolt
Member since 11/30/11
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 12/1/11 0:51 AM

Quote: solosmocker

Fancay!
Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to SpaceBolt

Date: 12/1/11 11:48 AM

Quote: SpaceBolt
So I asked the salesperson why it didn't have velvet listed as the material if it's a velvet blazer she had no idea. She asked the manager and she didn't know either.

It's sad that people who work in a clothing store don't know more about the sewn up fabrics they are selling. I see the same thing in fashion magazines, incomplete or incorrect fabric descriptions.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> SILK velvet blazer

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Vogue Patterns 9949 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
McCall's 6503

photo
by: goosegirl

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.