SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Cutting mats! ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting mats!
$$$
sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 8:08 AM

I shuffled into hancock's to purchase one for a gift and it was $112 regular price marked down to $80! This is Fiskars large size (not super-sized). I remember buying one there several years ago of same size/brand/type for $30. Can someone recommend a good mat for way less?? i don't want to spend $80 on this individual--even though its the only thing she asked for...she is mostly a "pretend" quilter and probably won't use it much. I can say this bc the individual is my sweet daughter.

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent

Date: 12/2/11 8:11 AM

I think it's absurd what they are asking for these things nowadays. Have you tried Walmart? Perhaps it would be cheaper there.

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent

Date: 12/2/11 8:59 AM

I saw an 18 x 26 for around $27 on Alto's website. I was looking for a replacement mat for my cutting board, but the shipping to the UK was

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 9:04 AM

My cutting mat is not self healing- that cut the price by almost half.

I have had it for 5 years, with a medium level of use, and it is starting to show wear from constant cutting in the same place (I try to rotate it).

It does not seem to dull blades quickly. I'm not sure why self healing is so important- they eventually show wear too.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 9:12 AM

Try Atlanta Thread. I have purchased a couple of mats from them, their prices are pretty competitive.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 11:06 AM

I luckily have a wide kitchen counter bar for a board.
Anyone use Silicone mats for the ironing board?
Our Aldi has them for the kitchen and I was thinking they'd be good
for the interfacing, glue, etc. you get when working on the board.....

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 11:36 AM

Honestly, I love my ginormous clear/white one from JAs. If it's too big, I suppose you could cut it down. It's big enough for my very biggest pieces - after having it, I'd shudder to think of using something smaller. I got it on sale for something like $40. It doesn't seem to dull my blades excessively and I've used it plenty for 3 or 4 years now with little wear. Worth considering, I think.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent

Date: 12/2/11 11:50 AM

I have this from Joann Fabrics.
36 x 59 Cutting Mat

It is not self healing. I've had mine for over 10 years and it has been fantastic. I move the cutting line on the board so I'm not always cutting on the same line. Every now and then it gets a vigorous wipe down with a rough terry cloth. It is just now starting to show its age. We also use it on the dining table when we're playing games or I have some odd utilitarian task. I store mine flat behind the piano when not in use.

Wish I had had one like it when the kids where little, would have also made a great play mat for Matchbox cars and building sets.

I read the reviews which are mixed, from horrible to wonderful and will be checking the two that I just purchased for 29.99 for gifts to see if they are printed straight, etc. I think they are 50% off within the next week or two.
---------------------------------------
Looked at your post again and see that your daughter had a specific request. Do you have a JoAnn's? Those 50% coupons go pretty far on $112.00! And my latest brochure has an additional 20% off total purchase for seniors on a Wednesday only (read the fine print, and, I have no idea what they are calling senior)

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 12/2/11 10:54 PM

The one 7yr posted is just like mine. Love it!

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 12/3/11 7:41 AM

I have one of those Joann's white mats that fit on their cutting tables perfectly. I use my rotary cutter on it. I have had it for years. I also have the self healing mats and will use those when I am going to a class or cutting on my dining room table. I'm not afraid to abuse the white mat though.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Cutting mats!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6051

photo
by: Tee Jones ...

Review

Pattern

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.