SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Creative Sewing > microwavable potato bags ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
microwavable potato bags
do you need the special batting?
Sandra T
Sandra T
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/12/05
Send Message

Date: 12/4/11 4:18 PM

I'm sure I've seen this topic discussed before, but unfortunately I can't find. I was planning on making some microwavable potato bags as gifts for christmas, and conveniently Fabricland has the special Warm tater batting on sale. Less conveniently, my local Fabricland is out of it, and the staff tell me it's been on back order for ages. Before I start searching far and wide, I thought I check to see if others have used other quilt batting for this application, which I have on hand, or if the specialty batting is required. TIA for your advice!

fallight
fallight
Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/27/03
Send Message

Date: 12/4/11 4:34 PM

I only use the Warm Tater batting for my bags, 100% cotton fabric, and 100% cotton thread. As I understand it regular batting could contain material that is not 100% cotton and that material could cause arcing in the the microwave or could melt and catch on fire. Also, I send instructions with my bags letting the receiver know not to leave the bags in a running microwave unattended~~~I don't want to be responsible for anyone's house burning down.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/4/11 4:41 PM

I had to Google this term to find out what I was missing. Help me out here-what is the benefit of putting the potato in a bag? I just microwave my taters in all their naked glory.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Sandra T
Sandra T
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/12/05
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/4/11 5:08 PM

Well, according to the company which manufactures the batting, these bags help prevent the potatoes from drying out, and the result is a fluffier baked potato. I've never used one, so I can't corroborate their views, and some people get the same result using a slightly damp paper bag. For me the real benefit will be being able to put together some christmas presents relatively quickly without going to a mall.

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/4/11 5:19 PM

I'm with you...having one of those Ooohhh moments now
I bet you don't use these with yams though. Those suckers are sticky as heck.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Sandra T

Date: 12/4/11 9:06 PM

Sandra T, thank you. Now I get it. They would make a nice gift. One year I made bit warmers (for horse bridles) with rice.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/5/11 11:14 AM

Quote: marec
I had to Google this term to find out what I was missing. Help me out here-what is the benefit of putting the potato in a bag? I just microwave my taters in all their naked glory.

I have a potato bag, and the main benefit is that they taste like potatoes out of the oven, which I think always taste better than microwaved ones.

SO good. I was skeptical, but I love my potato bag.
fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 11:25 AM

I use the Warm Tater Batting from the Warm company for potato bags. I make Baked Potato bags for little gifts (kids teachers, ped's office staff)

DO NOT USE INSULBRITE if you are going to use the end item in a microwave, as Insulbrite has reflective metalized poly film in it which will catch fire in a microwave.

Sandra T
Sandra T
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/12/05
Send Message

In reply to fabrictherapy

Date: 12/5/11 9:21 PM

Thanks to all for your responses. I was able to track down some of the warm tater batting. My regular store was out, and said that it had been on back order for months. Another store in the same chain less than 15 km away had two completely full, never been cut bolts of it. Go figure!. It's preshrinking as I type, and so hopefully I will be able to get a stack of them done by the weekend!!!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 11:24 PM

What's the difference between the Tater batting and regular warm and natural?

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> microwavable potato bags

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2008-103

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2009-127

photo
by: Maree P

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.