SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Announcements > wish list: Refashion forum ( Moderated by Deepika, Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
wish list: Refashion forum
Refashioning all year round, not for contests only
ElizabethDee
star
ElizabethDee
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 12/27/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/11 10:36 AM

Having just been the lucky manager of the Refashion contest, and being so inspired and delighted by all the creativity and ingenuity of the participants, I am wondering if there could be a Refashion forum, so people could continue to inspire and draw inspiration from one another in this very on-trend area. I would even be willing to moderate it!

Anyone else interested?

Elizabeth

MidnightBleu
star
MidnightBleu
California USA
Member since 6/16/11
Send Message

In reply to ElizabethDee

Date: 12/5/11 11:39 AM

I think a "Refashion Forum" would be great! I mentioned to Elizabeth sometime ago I thought it would be great to have the "Refashion" as a recurrent contest to encourage us to go through our closets on a regular basis (that would be me). The contest was fun, challenging, and there is something very satisfying about not tossing (or even donating) an article of clothing that no longer works for you, but instead, turning it into something functional and wearable for today.

A "Refashion Forum" would give members who like the challenge of refashioning an old garment(s) into some new and wearable, a place where they could meet and discuss the issues they are facing with refashioning. I entered the "Refashion" contest in November. Reading how others dealt with their refashions helped me with mine. It inspired me to keep going. It's like having your own personal "Sewing Think Tank"! You have the collective mind of PR on your side. AWESOME! As huge as the impetus in the sewing world is toward repurposing clothing, it really would be great to access all the amazing creative energy represented by the members of PR. Viva the forum!

Another thought--When you are writing your review--wouldn't it be great if you could chose "Refashion" as your "Pattern"? I have, in the past, searched for refashions on PR with little success. Would that give us a section we could readily access for refashions?

GwenH
GwenH
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/26/09
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 5:44 PM

I'd love a refashion forum. Seeing the projects others do would be great inspiration. It's would also be nice to be able to share our projects with others of like mind.

It could also be a great place to share cool refashioning ideas we come across or comment on any of the many restyling and repurposing books that have been published recently. It's definitely a hot topic.

While it would be great to have a refashion tag, I don't think it should be in lieu of a pattern number. From the contest, I'd say there was a mix of using a pattern and winging it.

Thumbs up on this idea!

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 6:15 PM

Sure!!

Especially with you manging it

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

kathyann
kathyann
Intermediate
Maine USA
Member since 9/24/05
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 6:20 PM

I'm all for it! Refashioning is trendy, economical, environmentally friendly--what's not to like?

Choco Pie
star
Choco Pie
Advanced Beginner
SOUTH KOREA
Member since 10/4/10
Send Message

Date: 12/5/11 6:49 PM

Good idea! I've been looking at refashioning blogs lately since I have so many clothes I don't wear. I don't have the "eye" for seeing the possibilities in an unloved garment, so it helps me to look at pictures of what other people have done with their castoffs.

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to MidnightBleu

Date: 12/5/11 9:19 PM

Quote: MidnightBleu
Another thought--When you are writing your review--wouldn't it be great if you could chose "Refashion" as your "Pattern"? I have, in the past, searched for refashions on PR with little success. Would that give us a section we could readily access for refashions?

I think that's a great idea and one easily implemented. Why not email Deepika separately and ask for it.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

GwenH
GwenH
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/26/09
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Cook

Date: 12/5/11 9:27 PM

Quote: Debbie Cook

I think that's a great idea and one easily implemented. Why not email Deepika separately and ask for it.

So what happens when you use a pattern for your refashion? This sounds like your review would have to be made either a refashion or a specific pattern, when they can be both?

However, I do love the idea of being able to search on refashion in some way.
MidnightBleu
star
MidnightBleu
California USA
Member since 6/16/11
Send Message

In reply to GwenH

Date: 12/5/11 11:27 PM

When I suggested a "Refashion" instead of a Pattern, I just wanted a way to easily access Refashions. I couldn't find a way to locate Refashions (self-patterned or commercial) at present. Would tagging make refashions searchable?

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/6/11 0:51 AM

Great idea for a forum which is sure to draw lots of interest as we all find ways to economize. I would love this. As for the tags, perhaps Deepika could add the question "Is this a refashion?" to the review template and then add that tag to the search fields.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Announcements >> wish list: Refashion forum

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Slit Skirt & Pencil Skirt

Christine Jonson Slit Skirt & Pencil Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.