SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Why don't I like ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why don't I like
making christmas gifts
allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 12/6/11 3:08 PM

If I make clothes I can never try them on the person and unless you are really good at guessing most of the time the clothing will not fit or won't be flattering. Then you make a purse only to have the little girl look to see if there are toys in side and then throw it to the side when she sees none.

I am so synical ( so bad I can't remember how to spell it) this year I am making neice 2 a little dress with a big full skirt, maybe it will at least just be too big and she can wear it next year. neice 1 wants a t-shirt with "No Problem" embroidered on it. Ok No problem.......womens size 8.

I just want to make more cool things for DH and me.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to allycovey

Date: 12/6/11 3:37 PM

You should use your sewing machine, time and skills to make things that make you happy. Out of the nieces and little cousins that I have sewn for long distance, the ones that get repeats are the ones whose mothers help them try the garment on and give me feedback immediately. So far, all the measuring and questioning has yielded excellent long distance results.

Two of the nieces fell off the list because their mom just doesn't open packages for 3 to 6 months. The girls are very thin, so everything still fit and they really liked the dresses. My deal is that I want to be sure that everything fits very well, is flattering and that they really like it. Otherwise it seems that it would be torturing the poor kid if they had to wear something they didn't like or that didn't fit properly.

Some of the little cousins are on the list forever. Can you imagine my surprise last year to go to a family reunion and have my cousin-in-law take the time to dress her youngest daughter in an embroidered summer dress that I had made for her older sister about 12 years prior. The hubbie and I took them out for a special dinner as the in town families do so much for the out of town families (for the reunions). We were surprised that they needed to run home first, but okay.........................well, she spiffed the kids up and it was such a surprise to see the youngest in the special dress that was obviously a family treasure.

I just won't sew for anyone if they don't appreciate the love that goes into it. I've gotten the same way about baking and cooking too. The hubbie's old boss made a point each year of sending home his delight and thanks for the danish pastry that takes a lot of time and the special cookies tailored specifically to his diet and his love of cherries. And each year, when I sent the pastry in for the entire group, someone cleaned the platter before sending it home with the hubbie. Enter the new boss, no thank you, nothing. I'm a 3 times and your out sort of person. Besides no thank you on the third time, hubbie was left with a dirty empty platter. Considering that only one other person out of a group of 35-40 was bringing in something made at home, I thought it was rude. Now things go in quietly to select individuals and the group and the boss get the pastry ring from the local bakery.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Why dont I like Date: 12/6/11 11:48 PM

I'm right there on the notion of not wasting my time making for those who have no clue... If I am going to sew, knit, or bake for someone, it is the someone who values what they receive.

Taking that attitude has been helpful. No more muttering to myself that this one or that one did not appreciate what I did. That sort of thing takes the joy out it.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 8:54 AM

For your own sanity, do not make things for people unless they have asked for something or mentioned something they specifically like. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The receivers story: Before I sewed and dabbled in knitting, I had no idea what effort went into the gifts my SIL sent to us (sending hopes of forgiveness her way ) and know I did not give her the feedback she wanted. Things were set aside because they were not my taste or style, son claimed sweaters were itchy, etc. To be honest, I would feel a little dread because hand made meant an expectation of keepsake and seeing us use or wear the item. I have baby blankets that were never used because I feared ruining them. I understand my wrong thinking now, but I did not then.

As a sewist, my SIL still makes beautiful stuff that I will never use or want, but at least I can appreciate the work that went into it -- although I think to myself that she could have better spent her time making something she wanted.

So, unless you are willing to make something with no expectation and understand that once it leaves your hands you have no control over its use or nonuse, just buy something.

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Subject: Why dont I like Date: 12/7/11 12:23 PM

I don't make really complicated items of fashion any more. I go for practical - like aprons and fleece socks- or fun -like costume pieces for children. The socks always end up used even if the first time they use them is when that is the only clean pair of socks in the house!

Red hooded capes, poodle skirts, tutus, pinafores and sun bonnets, wedding veil trains for girls. Boys get cowboy vests, black reversable to red capes, chef hats and aprons, ninja stuff plus a part of their favorite characters identity. Kids love to dress up and I make them fit several sizes and be super washable. (S, M L so they can wear longer and washable for their mom!)

------
JanieV

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 1:28 PM

I really appreciate the input and your right no sense stressing myself out when they would probably rather have some little toy from walmart though..I am going to finish Pearl's little dress and Ireland's Tshirt (she asked for it) and call it quits.....

Ok I was goign to make my sister a cloak, which I know she would like. I just don't think I can get it done in time and the fabric would be quite expensive. So I ound one on-line to buy for her. I almost feel guilty, I think she will like it though.
-- Edited on 12/7/11 2:20 PM --

BettyMike
star
BettyMike  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 2/12/04
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 3:03 PM

I stopped making the SIL's and the niece-in-laws things when my nephew told me that instead of giving them something homemade for christmas I should get them season one of a tv show. No more "homemade" and no set of dvd's either.

------
betty/mikie

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 4:35 PM

I don't much like making things for other people, whatever the season, unless they co-operate with the process. I don't mean actually do anything, but discuss the item sensibly, get measured, choose the fabric etc. But there are no little ones in my family now. I guess toys and garments for the under 3s are probably angst free, but once children get old enough to be affected by our culture of expectation and entitlement - the giver is on a loser.

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 6:58 PM

Interesting topic. I have rarely sewed for others. I do, mend and alter clothes for family members - of course, they pay me in kind (help around the house with chores that I can't or won't do). This year I had thought about making some gifts, but as I looked into the pattern/the fabric/etc., I decided not to. Not sure if the recipients would have liked what I had planned to make, but ultimately I enjoy sewing for me. It's my thing - so to speak - and I sew for myself. Besides, holiday shopping - gets me out of the house and away from the sewing machine for at least a few hours

------
Kemish

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 12/7/11 8:03 PM

I agree whole heartly with KathySews.
Last year I did make 18" doll clothes for granddaughters and they were a big hit.
Oh an the cosmetic bags with embroidery for the daughters-in-law. I noticed that they are getting used.
The only person I am sewing for this Christmas is ME

------
Ada

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Why don't I like

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1033 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 8594

photo
by: blessedtos...

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

Buy Now
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.