SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > What do you Snowbirds pack up with your machine? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What do you Snowbirds pack up with your machine?
Essentials advice?
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/8/11 8:07 AM

First time escaping snow, of course the machine goes.
And a tote with basic needles, pins, scissors, etc.
What else do you take--pre-cut fabric etc?
Car will be full of presents, clothing, household extras not provided in the rental.

I will be near a DIL who wants to learn, near only a JA (which I don't like here for fabric finds) and WM for notions.

Now off to Fabric.com to build a little stash....!

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 12/8/11 9:10 AM

I take my sewing on-the-road to the cabin in the summer. When I'm sewing at home I keep a small box next to the machine for a few projects prior to leaving. Everything I use to sew those garment gets put into that box (seam ripper, chalk, needles, small rulers, shears, etc) rather than getting put away. I also do a scan of the sewing room and grab some elastic, interfacing, SAS, and other basic notions.

You are never far from Wal-Mart for those few items you are sure to forget.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb

Date: 12/8/11 9:38 AM

I grew up in NW Wis. and miss that cabin we had--mom and I sewing in summer on rainy days with pine scent in the air, fireplace going.
The small lake was 3/4 wooded then.
Now Minn. residents have built second year-round homes on all the land, forced taxes up and the 3rd generation out from their un-insulated hideaways. I read that Minn. lakes experienced the same thing.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/8/11 11:10 AM

This is a topic I have loads of experience in! We camp each winter, and by that I mean...we are out in the desert relying on solar panels, a generator, and propane. We do hook up to electricity every few weeks, and spend one month in a park in Tucson. But for the most part, we are on BLM land. I bring:

*my Elna, packed in her packing case with styrofoam inserts
*basic tools such as scissors etc
*projects packed in zippered plastic pouches containing pattern, notes from PR (no internet), fabric (not pre cut), interfacing, thread, zipper or buttons if needed.
*embroidery materials
*paint, screens, stamps

All of this fits into one corner of the under bed storage. I am planning to bring a travel iron this year. I think that is the size of a curling iron. I can only use the machine when we have enough stored power in the battery-that means I must plan my actual sewing time for days when we are not using a lot of power.

Have fun this winter and enjoy the warm sunshine!!

-- Edited on 12/8/11 11:11 AM --

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/8/11 1:39 PM

marec,

What an adventure! You need one of the old irons that can be heated over a fire.

Sounds like you both have great plans for the winter.

Gramma b, we spend a lot of time in Florida, vacation for us, and for me working at my son's office. I found out that I can sign on with the local Bernina dealer for an extremely reasonable fee to access the classes that are free to his customers and to use their community sewing room. Wonder if there is something like this available near your destination.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, marec, my favorite commercial from this fall's football season is the guy that trained the little hamsters to row in an aquarium to generate off grid power. He said the hardest part was the six months it took to train the rowing captain to say, 'Row'.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 12/8/11 4:17 PM

Quote:
Okay, marec, my favorite commercial from this fall's football season is the guy that trained the little hamsters to row in an aquarium to generate off grid power. He said the hardest part was the six months it took to train the rowing captain to say, 'Row'.

hahaaaa...I love that commercial!

------
completed.

PegL
star
PegL
Advanced
Missouri USA
Member since 2/18/04
Send Message

Date: 12/8/11 6:20 PM

We are also snowbirds and spend almost 4 months in Florida in our fifth wheel. I bought a Bernina, a replacement for my first Bernina which I sold and regretted thereafter, to keep in the RV. I work on quilting projects when we travel and have several pre-cut and ready to go in large zippered storage bags. I have a small fold up ironing board and small inexpensive iron that is kept in the RV too. I take a sewing box with scissors, thread, needles, variety of machine feet, rotary cutters, pins, rulers, and whatever else I think I might need or might come in handy. We have a king size bed with ample storage underneath it and that's where all my supplies are kept. I just completed a king size quilt that was mostly pieced during travel.

-- Edited on 12/8/11 6:22 PM --

------
"I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes--and six months later you have to start all over again!"

Pfaff 2170, Pfaff 7570, Pfaff 4852, Babylock Coverstitch, Bernina 1090, Bernina 1020, Gammill Quilting machine

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/9/11 7:30 AM

Wow--that's sounds almost like the old sewing days of treadle and kerosene lanterns. What planning to get your sewing fix! I think they only survived without PR because there was always a local community of crafters.

Your area?--I saw a TV documentary on Snowbirds who camp yearly on an old army base in the desert, with feisty 80-year old ladies who drive their own campers down every year. One kept a shotgun handy and had used it to ward off potential burglars when she was in a WM parking lot! They all competed to dance at their cookouts with the few men around.

7yr--
I remember my 3rd Grandma/neighbor when I was little, heating that iron on her old wood-fired stove. Of course, some of her pillowcases had iron-burn marks on them too!
-- Edited on 12/9/11 8:01 AM --

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 12/9/11 10:40 AM

Quote:
I saw a TV documentary on Snowbirds who camp yearly on an old army base in the desert, with feisty 80-year old ladies who drive their own campers down every year. One kept a shotgun handy and had used it to ward off potential burglars when she was in a WM parking lot! They all competed to dance at their cookouts with the few men around.

I think you saw a documentary about Slab City, in CA near the Salton Sea. Does that sound right? It is part homeless camp, part alternative hippie area, part snowbird. No, we don't stay there but have visited to have solar panels installed. Slab City is part Road Warrior and part Woodstock and part Senior Center.

------
completed.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/9/11 1:53 PM

We spent 4 years fulltime in our RV... that's where I learned to sew, I was bored! I can tell you that for me, the BEST thing I had along was a Sew Ezi portable table. They fold up flat, they allow your machine to be set in a well so your sewing surface is level.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> What do you Snowbirds pack up with your machine?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Other Simplicity 5685

photo
by: caper81

Review
Simplicity 2217

photo
by: Doobee64

Review
Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.