Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Christmas Cookies ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Christmas Cookies
All the Enjoyment and None of the Calories
Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 12/10/11 1:20 AM

When my family still lived in Germany, my grandmother used to make 22 different kinds of Christmas cookies. Her two very naughty sons used to try to raid the tins of cookies which she put in the attic, but this was a serious business as she was a fiery person and not above smacking them.

In those days and in that place little boys didn't often get cookies, not because the family couldn't afford them, but because they were being taught self-denial. For example, the boys had a choice of either butter OR jam on their bread, but never both. My father's favorite aunt, Tante Henny, used to let him have both. Note that she was his favorite aunt.

For a while I used to try to equal her output, although in place of some of the cookies I would make Christmas candies which she had never heard of, such as penuche. Since my father died I have never seemed to get to it, but I am trying to be better this year.

I spent this afternoon making Bourbon Balls. I used to make Rum Balls but DD doesn't like rum, and my late beloved friend Ruby, who gave me the recipe, used to say that bourbon was just as good, .

Anyway, I propose that we share some Christmas or other holiday recipes, and I will start off with Bourbon Balls.

ETA: ugh, typos.
-- Edited on 12/10/11 1:23 AM --

------
Barb

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08

Date: 12/10/11 1:30 AM

Bourbon or Rum Balls

2 c crushed vanilla wafers
1 c finely chopped pecans
1 c powdered sugar
2 T cocoa
2 oz light corn syrup
1/4 - 1/3 c bourbon or rum
More powdered sugar for dredging

Mix the wafers and pecans well. Add powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix well. Add the corn syrup and liquor, mix until even in color and texture. Roll in smallish balls, and let them rest on waxed paper. Dredge cookies in powdered sugar and put in tins to ripen. In a week, check and see if you need more powdered sugar to cover. Let ripen at least 10 days, 2 weeks is better.

Notes: I quadrupled this recipe today, and I am sure it will still not be enough. Good thing I bought more wafers. If you have someone in the family who is allergic to nuts, as I do, you can substitute another cup of wafers for the nuts. These are still delicious.
-- Edited on 12/10/11 1:31 AM --

------
Barb

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 8/8/07

Date: 12/10/11 6:21 AM

22? That's an impressive haul. My grandma used to get me, my Mom, and my aunt together and put out 12 in a day when I was a kid. When we moved, my Mom and I would bake.

Since I finished college, I've tried to follow in her tradition. I'm actually doing it today. I have a big pot of chili for my friends who are coming. I can't do 12 in a day, especially with the kids, so I've been baking here and there all week. Today we have mostly assembly.

My Gram's cookies were all fairly simple and nut heavy. She made these peanut butter balls coated in chocolate that were my favorite. They must have changed the recipe for Rice Krispies at some point though because once my Mom and I were making cookies on our own they always tasted stale once the peanut butter mixture hit them (they were crisp in my Gram's pb balls). Every year her list, my Mom's list, and my list have been different. I have to keep my nut cookies to a minimum and 100% avoid peanuts because my FIL is allergic. The last time I did my party I was pregnant with DS #1 and forgot to be careful and not cross-contaminate with nuts and my poor FIL got zero cookies which is sad because he loves them and though a man of very few words will go on and on about my cooking.

My list for this year is:
1. Alfajores--Argentinian brandy flavored shortbread sandwich with dulce de leche and coconut)
2. Spritz--my all time favorite no matter how fancy the others are
3. Florentines--lacy almond confection with lots of candied orange and iced with chocolate
4. Love Knots--little knot shaped iced puffy cookies
5. Gingerbread snowflakes
6. Rugelach--from Dorie Greenspan's Baking book--so good
7. World Peace Cookies--also from DG
8. Lemon pistachio biscotti
9. Ricotta drop cookies--lots of lemon and orange zest
10. Benne wafers--I love sesame, and it helps me feel like I'm still having a nut cookie, but it's safe for my FIL
11. Jam thumbprints--my 2 yo and I had a blast making these--we filled them with cherry jam and golden raisins with a little cinnamon
12. Coconut Oatmeal Lace--with white and dark chocolate decoration

Additionally, a friend is bringing some cut-outs for the kids to decorate and I always make Five Spice Gingersnaps from Gourmet Dec 2006 for the tree.

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 8/8/07

Date: 12/10/11 6:35 AM

Spritz Cookies--from Nick Malgieri's Cookies Unlimited

As I said, no matter how involved and fancy the others get, these will always be my favorite. This status was cemented forever when my DH bought me a new spritz gun 8 months before we started dating for my birthday. He knew I loved baking and was instructed by a friend to buy me a gift for my b-day party and he went into Crate and Barrel and rolled the dice. Clearly Divine inspiration led him to the spritz gun.

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups ap flour

2 cookie sheets covered with parchment or foil (no need to butter)

Preheat oven to 375. In a standing mixer beat butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until very light and fluffy--about 5 minutes. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Scrape down the sides and add the flour and mix until just absorbed. Finish mixing with a rubber spatula.

Insert a die into the cookie press and fill it with about a quarter of the dough. Press out the cookies out, leaving an inch all around each one. Chill the sheets for about 10 minutes (this is my step--it helps firm up the cookies and prevents browning which I'm not a fan of on spritz--you don't want to press chilled dough though because it won't go through the press). Bake for 10-12 minutes until *very* pale and when they are just firm to the touch. Try not to eat them all. "Milk's favorite cookie" has nothing on these.

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

mmc3673
mmc3673
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/10

Date: 12/10/11 7:07 AM

I agree completely with trying to carry on traditions. I remember being a child and going to my grandmother's house...she would start about a week before Thanksgiving and bake till Christmas Day. She would keep two 12-seat dining tables crammed full of cookies, candy, pies, and cakes. When you would see that first platter go on the table, you knew it was the holidays. In her later years she was unable to continue to bake in such a manner.

There was one particular cookie she would bake every year. Every year since she passed away I have made them for my father. She started baking them the year he was born (1947). He has not had a Christmas yet without those cookies and I plan to make sure he never does.... I am at work right now but will post the recipe when I get home.

Earlier this week I spent the day with my MIL and we cranked out about 20-25 dozen cookies that day...she has been doing this for approx 25+ years now, and as the years pass I can see me taking over this task for her due to health problems. So far this year I have only done approx 7 different items at my home, but have plans to do about 6 more. Needless to say, I have seen more sugar, flour, and butter in the past two weeks than most large families see in an entire year!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.....Things are always better with a little sugar

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10

Date: 12/10/11 9:25 AM

I would love to have a daughter, DIL or even better a GD to bake with! Alas, it's all men in my life.
These stories are great to read. Will return with a favourite recipe later.

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/30/10

In reply to Franksdottir

Date: 12/10/11 11:39 AM

Your post sure brought back some memories for me. When I was a round 12, I had a friend whose parents immigrated from Germany. Her mom used to start baking around Halloween and she would hide her cookies (she thought) in this huge suitcase in their cold (near freezing) storage crawl space. Of course when my friend had sleep overs, very popular at her house during the fall, we would raid the cookie suitcase. Her Mom had to keep remaking the same cookies over and over until Christmas.

My Angel Cookie recipe is really dear to my heart. My Mom made these for us when we were small and we loved them. She lost the recipe along the way. I thought I would never taste my beloved Angel Cookies again when low and behold about 15 years ago I stumbled across the recipe by sheer accident. (They have cream of tartar in the them - that is how I knew they were the real deal.) They then became my Gram's favourite cookie that I would bake for her and we would have them (at least one a week) with tea. This continued until she passed away at pushing 102 years old. Now we make them on DH's side for Christmas and they are my God neice's absolute favourite.

Angel Cookies
1 Cup of room temp Butter (don’t use margarine)
½ Cup of Brown Sugar
½ Cup of White Sugar
1 Egg
1 Tsp of Vanilla

Cream these ingredients together until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure all gets mixed well together.

In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients and then add to the wet and mix together well.

2 Cups of Flour
1 Tsp of Baking Soda
1 Tsp of Cream of Tarter
¼ Tsp of Salt

Roll them into balls (about an 1 inch) and press them down with a fork on an ungreased cookie sheet. You can also flatten the balls with a spatula (like a long skinny one used for icing a cake) and add coloured sprinkles if desired - which I have never done. You could probably roll them out and cut shapes too although I have never done this either.

Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes until just barely light gold in colour. Remove from oven. Cookies still might be quite soft so you can let stand in the sheet for a minute. If you do this the colour might also deepen.

PS - You can try use a cookie press but this dough is a bit stiff/heavy for that and you might find the press buckles a lot. I used to use a the old Pampered Chef cookie press as it made a nice size, pretty cookie. I went through 2 of them. The ones they have now make a much smaller cookie and just can't handle the dough. My SIL has an older electric cookie press that works prefectly for this.

Enjoy - and Merry Christmas!

------
Forgiveness does not excuse the behaviour. It prevents the behaviour from breaking your heart over and over again.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02

Subject: Christmas Cookies and Candies Date: 12/10/11 11:51 AM

I started baking last night. Or I should say I started candy making.

Brown Sugar Fudge recipe

Gluten Free Peanut butter balls

Today I will be making Almond Rocha and chocolate truffles. If I have time I will make butter tarts too.

Next weekend DD and I will be making gingerbread.

In the past I have made many more types of cookies and tarts, but I am too busy to do more than a few.

I give away about 3/4 of what I make.

I was lucky one of my bosses gave me a dozen Gluten Free chocolate coconut short bread cookies. They are delicious and very close to regular shortbread.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
SC USA
Member since 2/13/09

In reply to Franksdottir

Date: 12/10/11 2:27 PM

My aunt's Christmas card last year had a Russian Tea Ball recipe on the front of the card and inside a story about my grandmother (also of German ancestry--maybe typical tradition for German households?) baking a wide assortment of cookies and placing in the basement, then for the holidays, they would walk around and fill tins with a few each of the cookies made. The Russian Tea Balls are my favorite and so addictive--so small to just pop those puppies in my mouth....so much damage

I doubled the recipe today and I am one of those lazy cooks that pile everything into the bowl and mix (and pray it works) so my directions are simple!

Russian Tea Balls
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar sifted
2 1/4 cups flour, sifted
1/4 salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)

Form into 1 inch balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 mnutes. While hot, roll in powdered sugar. Cool, then roll in confectioners sugar again. Makes 45

Like I said, I like shortcuts. I put everything into the mixer and mixed thoroughly, baked and then let them cool slightly and put a bunch in a shallow bowl with an inch of confectioners sugar and shook to cover the cookies--and was done!

------
Carpe diem!

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 4/20/08

In reply to KensingtonCrab

Date: 12/10/11 3:55 PM

I haven't had Russian Tea Balls in years. I may have to try your recipe. I make Rum Balls using the same recipe Franksdottir does.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Christmas Cookies

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Anna Maria Mariposa Dress/Tunic
photo
Review by mim.tribe on 1/18/11
Read Review

Cake Patterns Espresso Leggings Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Espresso Leggings Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simple Things Little Kickers Digital Pattern (001)
Simple Things Little Kickers Digital Pattern (001)

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2320 Toddlers'
photo
Review by ashleyjewe... on 2/9/12
Read Review

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern
You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Details
Price: $22.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern
SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 6920 Pattern
Burda 6920 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8821 Pattern ( Size 16-18-20-22-24 )
Vogue 8821 Pattern ( Size 16-18-20-22-24 )

Details
Price: $25.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN