SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Too much? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Too much?
Would love your opinion
solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 7:40 PM

DH and I have been invited to a very posh New Years Eve/Birthday party in a great venue. This friend of ours is throwing a surprise party and cost is no object. Our friend is turning 60 and has just had a horrific cancer experience and this will be a special celebration. When she turned 50 the party was in a private room at the Bay Tower New Years Eve in Boston. I'll save you from the details but it was spectacular. Her hubby gave her a Presidential Rolex for her birthday. There were sequins and cleavage everywhere but all so tasteful. I don't expect this party to be any different.

Here's the deal. I have a lovely LBD that could work but everyone has pretty much seen it before. I love all the lace dresses out there and am thinking this one, with the exception of a longer skirt. Mini would be totally inappropriate on me. I am five feet tall, petite, and am genetically blessed with a small waist and the same figure I pretty much had at 25, minus a bit of perkiness. I like this dress for the following reasons:

* It has sleeves. 60 year old arms need sleeves.

* It has a v neck, great for lengthening me. I'll take length any way I can.

* It has a fitted ribcage/waist. This would flatter my best area.

* It has a full skirt. That would work for my big hips.

* Its red. Red is my best color and I only own one read thing, a sweater. Every time I wear it I get loads of compliments.

My daughters are Talbots conservatives. My own clothing has always been a bit more exciting for lack of a better word. DD#1 and DH will be there with us. Will I shock my daughter with this red lace dress? Is it too much? I am 60 FWIW and what people call "tiny". Your input is greatly appreciated, believe me.

Of course I found the perfect red lace at the perfect price, bought the lining, and am ready to go. Whatcha think for this ole babe? What do you younger babes think? Thanks so much.

-- Edited on 12/10/11 7:41 PM --

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 7:49 PM

With the longer skirt you are planning I think it would be very classy.

Riordan
star
Riordan
Advanced
Nebraska USA
Member since 7/7/05
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 8:10 PM

Yes! The red lace is lovely, and the dress is beautiful. (I love your blog and greatly admire your work and flawless taste!) I hope you go with the red lace and post pictures.

(I made a brown lace dress for my daughter's wedding--I was 62 at the time, full skirt, fitted waist, and I was happy with my dress and so was she. Similar figure to your description, although a bit taller.)

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 12/10/11 8:18 PM

Go for it!

My boss who is in her mid 60's is getting married for the third time next year. She is going to wear a red wedding dress.

My Mum is 77 and wears lots of red.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

gabrielle

gabrielle
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 3/27/02
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 9:12 PM

Do it! I think it would be gorgeous. I saw a photo of Helen Mirren recently in something similar, and she was lovely, sexy, and tasteful as ever.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 10:39 PM

Yes, I agree with the others. You are svelte, and petite--->it will look great on you. Now, let's talk accessories

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/10/11 10:48 PM

Absolutely. Sounds like you can carry it off - even in red!

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 12/10/11 11:11 PM

It looks and sounds far better suited for you than for the model in the picture! And, honestly, for a celebration as you described, it would seem that looking out over the assemblage and not seeing a sea of black would be refreshing. I perceive your choice as embracing the enormity and significance of the celebration.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 12/11/11 0:05 AM

I think it's great, with the longer skirt you describe. It would have better proportions that way.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 12/11/11 0:35 AM

Quote:
it would seem that looking out over the assemblage and not seeing a sea of black would be refreshing.
Exactly what I thought! Now how about a silver belt and pumps or flats to go with it?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Too much?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's 6460

photo
by: couturemom

Review
Miranda Day Bag

Miranda Day Bag

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.