SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Knitting Lounge > What Does Slit Mean?? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What Does Slit Mean??
Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

Date: 12/13/11 4:39 PM

I just started a scarf from the Lion Brand Fun Fur Print. It has me seed stitch for 4". This is on 16 stitches. Then the rest of the instructions got me confused.
Here they are:
(SLIT - work even in pattern on first 8 stitches for 3.5" and place stitches on holder. Join yarn to remaining 8 stitches and work even for 3.5" then work across all 16 stitches.

There's a little more. But I understand it.
What does it mean by "slit"? I've never heard of that word before!! There are 16 stitches, while I am knitting the first 8 stitches, what I am supposed to be doing with the rest of the stitches? I just don't get this! This is supposed to be a simple scarf! Yikes!

I will be going to get the Sally M. knitting book today.

Thanks!

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to Sewnsewmom

Date: 12/13/11 5:21 PM

Lion Yarn Abbreviations list

Knitting Help.com Abbreviations List

I don't see SLIT on either abbreviation list. My best guess would be that SLIT has something to do with slip stitches. Hopefully an actual knitting expert (which would not be me) has better insight into this instruction.

CMC

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 12/13/11 5:27 PM

I think it means you're making a slit by working half the stitches while the other half sit on a holder. At some point you'll go back and work those stitches and likely join everything up again.
Is there a slit in the scarf?

koo104
star
koo104
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 1/25/04
Send Message

Date: 12/13/11 7:28 PM

They are probably creating a giant buttonhole so that you pull 1 end of the scaarf though so that it doesn't need to so long to tie a knot. It also reduces bulk that a tie woudl create.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewnsewmom

Date: 12/13/11 7:37 PM

What is the pattern? SLIT is not a normal knitting instruction, but if I can look at the pattern I can probably help.

Also, are you on ravelry? If so, somebody else has probably made the pattern and will know as well.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 12/13/11 8:48 PM

I don't think it's a short form for anything- she's just making a slit!
It would help if we could see what the finished scarf is supposed to look like.

Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

Date: 12/13/11 9:32 PM

I was able to find the pattern online. The written instructions were on the label of the yarn.

Scarf

I so appreciate everybody's help!!
Uh oh. It doesn't work. You have to sign in order to be able to look at the pattern.
-- Edited on 12/13/11 9:33 PM --

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to happytobehere

Date: 12/13/11 9:40 PM

You are right. The pattern does have the slit. :)

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 12/13/11 9:42 PM

Ok, so how do I make a slit? I am still confused. What would I be doing with those extra stitches?

Maybe my brain is better made for sewing. Sigh.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewnsewmom

Date: 12/13/11 9:44 PM

Yes, it is indeed a slit--I'm already a member so didn't have to sign up to see the pattern.

So, you knit the first rows of 16 stitches, then just knit back and forth on the first 8 stitches --ignoring the other 8 stitches (I would put them on a stitch holder or piece of scrap yarn.) Once you have knit for the 3.5 inches on the first 8 stitches, put them on a holder or scrap yarn and go back and knit down the other 8 stitches for 3.5 inches. Then when both sides are at 3.5 inches, starting on one side, and after putting all stitches on the needle (or add them when you come to them) just knit across all 16 stitches again to rejoin the two sides.

Hope that makes sense!

Susan

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Knitting Lounge >> What Does Slit Mean??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

McCall's 5214

photo
by: wildbluest...

Review

Pattern

New Look 6648

photo
by: halleyscom...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

More Info
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.