SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus?
coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 11:48 AM

Hello! Thank you in advance for your help!

Buying my first machine for myself (first two were gifts), and I'm lost!

I've got a deposit on a BL Ellure Plus machine at a sewing machine retailer--floor model that looks like it's in great shape--for $1800. I was blown away at the demo, but been doing some online research and that price seems high, especially for a floor model. Price includes free servicing for one year and, I believe, free classes.

I'm a (low end of) intermediate sewer and have felt quite frustrated/limited with my beginner, non-computerized machine. (Feel like I could be a better sewer with the right machine.) Want one I can really grow into. I can see paying between $600 to even $1500 or a bit more for a really great machine, but $1800 plus tax seems like a lot.

My wish list:
-Computerized machine
-Embroidery function with preferably a 5x7 hoop, but can go with 4x4 hoop if there's a significant savings
-USB upload of embroidery designs
-Ability to prepare and input my own embroidery designs (I'm very computer-savvy)
-Easy, quick needle threading, easy bobbin fill/drop-in, as many things as possible EASY and AUTOMATED.
-Easy-to-use, friendly and idiot-proof; frees me up to just SEW.
-Auto stitch width/length
-On/off button (NO foot pedal)
-Can handle diffent fabric thicknesses well
-Preferably a large "stage" (area where the fabric sits while you sew)

I heard that the Brothers are really Baby Locks without the customer support of a retailer. True?

Would you go with Baby Lock, or another brand?

Please, any advice anyone could offer would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks sew* much!

* Sorry, couldn't resist! :)
-- Edited on 12/16/11 11:50 AM --
-- Edited on 12/16/11 11:53 AM --
-- Edited on 12/16/11 12:05 PM --

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 12:06 PM

I recently bought an Ellure Plus (BLR3) for $1800 and it was brand new, not a floor model, and typically my local prices seem higher than what others pay in other parts of the country.

While I think it's a great machine and I love it, that price seems pretty high for a floor model.

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 12:12 PM

Not a full answer, but most Baby Locks are made by Brother. My Quest Plus isn't, it's a rare exception. So for most Baby Locks, there's a comparable Brother which looks just a bit different, has a few different stitches, and is usually less expensive. Brother also has exclusive Disney designs on some of it's embroidery machines, as indicated by a "D" in the model name/number. There are full service, brick and mortar Brother dealers. There's a Brother, Singer, Juki dealer near me and a very large multiple brand dealer which has both Baby Lock and Brother. Brother also has online-only models, models in big box stores, and low end machines at Target, Walmart, etc. Some of those low-end discount store models aren't great quality, but the higher end versions are good quality. I'm sure a Brother fan will know which model is most like the Ellure Plus.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 1:34 PM

I bought a new in box Ellure plus (BLR2) 3 1/2 yrs. ago for 1800.00 at a dealer that isn't known for negotiating on the price. It came with service and classes which is pretty standard. While I don't know what the current prices are 1800.00 does seem a bit high for a floor model.

As said above Brother does make Baby Lock. You have your low end as well as high end. When I was shopping for my machine I actually wanted a Brother as that is what I'd had and loved for years. Close to 40 to be exact! However they could not put me in a Brother with the features and price point I wanted which was around 2000.00. That's why I went with the BL. I also had the ability to do a trade in at full value within a year if I decided I didn't like the BL and wanted to trade up.

I absolutely LOVE my machine if it's any help!

Debbie

coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 3:17 PM

OMG, this is SO useful! Thank you! Looking forward to more opinions.

mmc3673
mmc3673
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/10
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 8:49 PM

I just purchased the Babylock Esante (just purchased = yesterday) and i looked long and hard at the ellure plus. I went to two dealers in my area. The place that i just dropped into, had a new-in-the-box Ellure Plus for $1599 + tax, and the other place (my dealer of choice and where I purchased my Esante from) had it for $1499 plus tax.

Do you have any other vendors in your area? How do you feel about the customer service at your local dealer? I was set on another Brother machine (the 770), but i visited my local babylock dealer and loved her so much that I decided to give the Babylock a try.

madhatress

madhatress  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Canada
Member since 1/21/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/16/11 11:28 PM

I'm in high-priced Canada, and my dealer usually sells the Ellure Plus for around $1500-$1600+ tax.

ETA: this includes free lessons too; four classes for sewing, four for embroidery
-- Edited on 12/17/11 10:50 AM --

------
Nadia
Tech lover!
Old black Singer (99?), Viking Designer Diamond Royale, Bernina 750QE, Brother CV 2340 and Babylock Imagine Wave

I think my SMAD is finally under control..

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 12/17/11 10:11 AM

Last time I was at a Babylock dealer, about a month ago, they had them new in box at $1500 also.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to coolsew

Date: 12/17/11 11:42 AM

I though you had already made the purchase.

Stop believing everything you hear and take your list in hand and visit both Brother and Baby Lock dealers. They are cousins.

I think you will find for each Brother model there will be a BL that cost a little more. Why is in the test drive - you decide.

A state of the art sewing machine is going to cost way over $1,000. Add embroidery and the price more than doubles. To paraphrase James Carville - "it's the economy, honey"!

To create your own embroidery designs you will need an art program to first produce the design and then a software program that digitizes the art format. More big bucks for a really good program such as Designer's Gallery.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 9:14 AM

OMG, you guys all ROCK! (Did I say yet how much you rock?)

Okay, I got my deposit back from the BL dealer (though with a raised eyebrow from the clerk).

Thank you, everyone! Well, there's only one Baby Lock dealer in my state--the place where they offered me the floor model for $1800. My impression of them as a dealer is so-so. Part of the reason for that is their now-obvious overpricing of that machine and their trying to tell me it was such a good deal and the only one they had left, etc. That really doesn't do much for building my trust.

The Brother Innov-is 1000 seems to be comparable to the BL Ellure Plus, and I found it at on online retailer (sewingmachinesplus.com) for $1500 (and this also means free shipping, no sales tax, and an online coupon for an additonal $100. off).

I found a Brother dealer not even a mile away from the Baby Lock dealer and I will check them out and try their machines. If I decide on the Brother I'll then decide on where to buy it.

Thank you again! PattiAnnJ, I'm also going to look up that embroidery software you mentioned.

-- Edited on 12/19/11 9:24 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Amy Butler 02

photo
by: zombieamel...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

More Info
Self Drafted Pattern 97002-1000

photo
by: Sharonspil...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.