SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus?
coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 11:48 AM

Hello! Thank you in advance for your help!

Buying my first machine for myself (first two were gifts), and I'm lost!

I've got a deposit on a BL Ellure Plus machine at a sewing machine retailer--floor model that looks like it's in great shape--for $1800. I was blown away at the demo, but been doing some online research and that price seems high, especially for a floor model. Price includes free servicing for one year and, I believe, free classes.

I'm a (low end of) intermediate sewer and have felt quite frustrated/limited with my beginner, non-computerized machine. (Feel like I could be a better sewer with the right machine.) Want one I can really grow into. I can see paying between $600 to even $1500 or a bit more for a really great machine, but $1800 plus tax seems like a lot.

My wish list:
-Computerized machine
-Embroidery function with preferably a 5x7 hoop, but can go with 4x4 hoop if there's a significant savings
-USB upload of embroidery designs
-Ability to prepare and input my own embroidery designs (I'm very computer-savvy)
-Easy, quick needle threading, easy bobbin fill/drop-in, as many things as possible EASY and AUTOMATED.
-Easy-to-use, friendly and idiot-proof; frees me up to just SEW.
-Auto stitch width/length
-On/off button (NO foot pedal)
-Can handle diffent fabric thicknesses well
-Preferably a large "stage" (area where the fabric sits while you sew)

I heard that the Brothers are really Baby Locks without the customer support of a retailer. True?

Would you go with Baby Lock, or another brand?

Please, any advice anyone could offer would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks sew* much!

* Sorry, couldn't resist! :)
-- Edited on 12/16/11 11:50 AM --
-- Edited on 12/16/11 11:53 AM --
-- Edited on 12/16/11 12:05 PM --

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 12:06 PM

I recently bought an Ellure Plus (BLR3) for $1800 and it was brand new, not a floor model, and typically my local prices seem higher than what others pay in other parts of the country.

While I think it's a great machine and I love it, that price seems pretty high for a floor model.

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 12:12 PM

Not a full answer, but most Baby Locks are made by Brother. My Quest Plus isn't, it's a rare exception. So for most Baby Locks, there's a comparable Brother which looks just a bit different, has a few different stitches, and is usually less expensive. Brother also has exclusive Disney designs on some of it's embroidery machines, as indicated by a "D" in the model name/number. There are full service, brick and mortar Brother dealers. There's a Brother, Singer, Juki dealer near me and a very large multiple brand dealer which has both Baby Lock and Brother. Brother also has online-only models, models in big box stores, and low end machines at Target, Walmart, etc. Some of those low-end discount store models aren't great quality, but the higher end versions are good quality. I'm sure a Brother fan will know which model is most like the Ellure Plus.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 1:34 PM

I bought a new in box Ellure plus (BLR2) 3 1/2 yrs. ago for 1800.00 at a dealer that isn't known for negotiating on the price. It came with service and classes which is pretty standard. While I don't know what the current prices are 1800.00 does seem a bit high for a floor model.

As said above Brother does make Baby Lock. You have your low end as well as high end. When I was shopping for my machine I actually wanted a Brother as that is what I'd had and loved for years. Close to 40 to be exact! However they could not put me in a Brother with the features and price point I wanted which was around 2000.00. That's why I went with the BL. I also had the ability to do a trade in at full value within a year if I decided I didn't like the BL and wanted to trade up.

I absolutely LOVE my machine if it's any help!

Debbie

coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 3:17 PM

OMG, this is SO useful! Thank you! Looking forward to more opinions.

mmc3673
mmc3673
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/10
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 8:49 PM

I just purchased the Babylock Esante (just purchased = yesterday) and i looked long and hard at the ellure plus. I went to two dealers in my area. The place that i just dropped into, had a new-in-the-box Ellure Plus for $1599 + tax, and the other place (my dealer of choice and where I purchased my Esante from) had it for $1499 plus tax.

Do you have any other vendors in your area? How do you feel about the customer service at your local dealer? I was set on another Brother machine (the 770), but i visited my local babylock dealer and loved her so much that I decided to give the Babylock a try.

madhatress

madhatress  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/21/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/16/11 11:28 PM

I'm in high-priced Canada, and my dealer usually sells the Ellure Plus for around $1500-$1600+ tax.

ETA: this includes free lessons too; four classes for sewing, four for embroidery
-- Edited on 12/17/11 10:50 AM --

------
Nadia
Tech lover!
Old black Singer (99?), Viking Designer Diamond, Bernina 750QE, Pfaff Creative 4.0, Viking Tribute 140C, Brother CV 2340 and Babylock Imagine Wave

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 12/17/11 10:11 AM

Last time I was at a Babylock dealer, about a month ago, they had them new in box at $1500 also.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to coolsew

Date: 12/17/11 11:42 AM

I though you had already made the purchase.

Stop believing everything you hear and take your list in hand and visit both Brother and Baby Lock dealers. They are cousins.

I think you will find for each Brother model there will be a BL that cost a little more. Why is in the test drive - you decide.

A state of the art sewing machine is going to cost way over $1,000. Add embroidery and the price more than doubles. To paraphrase James Carville - "it's the economy, honey"!

To create your own embroidery designs you will need an art program to first produce the design and then a software program that digitizes the art format. More big bucks for a really good program such as Designer's Gallery.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

coolsew
coolsew
Member since 12/16/11
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 9:14 AM

OMG, you guys all ROCK! (Did I say yet how much you rock?)

Okay, I got my deposit back from the BL dealer (though with a raised eyebrow from the clerk).

Thank you, everyone! Well, there's only one Baby Lock dealer in my state--the place where they offered me the floor model for $1800. My impression of them as a dealer is so-so. Part of the reason for that is their now-obvious overpricing of that machine and their trying to tell me it was such a good deal and the only one they had left, etc. That really doesn't do much for building my trust.

The Brother Innov-is 1000 seems to be comparable to the BL Ellure Plus, and I found it at on online retailer (sewingmachinesplus.com) for $1500 (and this also means free shipping, no sales tax, and an online coupon for an additonal $100. off).

I found a Brother dealer not even a mile away from the Baby Lock dealer and I will check them out and try their machines. If I decide on the Brother I'll then decide on where to buy it.

Thank you again! PattiAnnJ, I'm also going to look up that embroidery software you mentioned.

-- Edited on 12/19/11 9:24 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Too much $$ for a Baby Lock Ellure Plus?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

New Look 6386

photo
by: julliams

Review
Butterick 5402

photo
by: neon8tl

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.