SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Pearl presser foot question and Creative Feet Question ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pearl presser foot question and Creative Feet Question
Pearl presser foot for sewing and serger
DLSews
DLSews
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 2/20/11
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 6:33 PM

Hello, is it easier to sew pearls on the edge of a veil with a serger or sewing machine? I would think sewing machine I would have more control but the serger "wraps" and I thought that might be better.

I want to buy a pearl foot for my sewing machine and they come in different sizes, 2.5 mm 4mm and 5mm. I would like to use it for cording also. I thought that I would just buy the largest one, 5mm and use it for all sizes of pearls and cording. Will that work?

Also, there are a lot of people selling the Creative feet, but seems that you have to remove the main shank and put this foot on. It only seems to come in one size also.
Then I saw a pearl foot made for my Brother machine without removing the shank (less work).
Does anyone know about the creative feet?

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/11 7:13 PM

Did you do a search? There are a few threads on them, and most people seem to say they bought them and never used them (not a great sign). One person said the pearls foot was useless for sewing in piping, not really a glowing review.

A few people seem to like the satin-edge foot though.

Here is a review of the pearls foot:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/notions/readnotionreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=439

DLSews
DLSews
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 2/20/11
Send Message

Date: 12/17/11 7:59 AM

Contacted my yahoo groups and one told me that they use them all the time.
Seems like a zipper foot would be a better choice for cording.
The only pearl sewing foot I found go up to 5mm/3/8 inch but the creative foot goes to 1/4inch. I would think this is better for larger beads.

One person told me that the serger pearl foot (goes to 4mm) has a plate that turns the fabric under. THat is ok, but then i would have to trimi it, etc.

I think that I will stick with the sewing machine feet, a bit slower, but more control and more versatility.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to DLSews
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/17/11 9:27 AM

The serger will trim the fabric edge with the knife and the pearl serger foot guides the pre strung beads at the edge of the fabric. The sewing machine foot has a groove underneath and you use a zig zag to attach the pre strung beads. Advantage of the sewing machine is you can sew within the body of the garment. When sewing the pearls you reduce the width of zig zag so it's barely vizible on either side of the beads, using smaller beads than the foot leaves too much wigle room making it harder to keep beads straight.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

DLSews
DLSews
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 2/20/11
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 6:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies....I bought a Creative Foot, Pearls and Piping and will play around with it. It is a 5mm so I am anxidous to try it.

DL

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 12/21/11 8:51 PM

Thought I'd add to this thread. I'm taking a class on Craftys with Carol Ann Waugh. She says she loves the pearls and piping foot (and recommends it over the couching foot Bernina makes for her machine.)

Guess I'll be trying it- even with the adapter, it seems like a more affordable option.

Lpipi56
Lpipi56
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 2/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321

Date: 2/19/12 7:06 PM

Did you get the pearls and piping foot? What's your opinion of it? I'm thinking about this foot too.

------
Lisa

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 2/19/12 7:58 PM

I did get the pearls and piping foot and also the sequins and ribbon foot.

I think they both do what they are meant to. I haven't tried to sew pearls with the one foot, but it worked just fine for couching round objects, it allowed me to guide the cords/yarns very easily.

The sequins and ribbon foot is really nice- the different size guides make it really easy to sew flat trims on (though they are small- I wish it had maybe one slightly wider guide).

Overall, I wouldn't say the feet are revolutionary, but they do work the way they are supposed to. I also got the Bernina shank adapter, and that works quite nicely- the "snap on" foot is very tight in it though, it is hard to change it out between the two feet (and you have to remove it from the machine -there is no way to just unsnap them from the adapter like regular snap on feet). Not sure if you are using a Bernina, so that might not matter to you.

rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 10/6/12 10:03 PM

I have a Janome DC5100 (Kenmore 19233) and Janome Sewist 509 and the Creative Feet just snap on. No adapters needed. I tried the Pearls and Piping feet and it works great for couching rattail and bead strings.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Rebranded Kenmore 19233/Janome DC 5100
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP
Brother PE 700II (traded)
Brother DreamMaker VE 2200

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 0:19 AM

Here is another thread on Creative Feet with a comment and information from the inventer, Clare Rowley. Check out what she has to say at the bottom of Pg. 1.

------
Judy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Pearl presser foot question and Creative Feet Question

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

MariaDenmark 101

photo
by: House of P...

Review
Candice

Candice

Buy Now
Summer Tote

Summer Tote

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.