SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Scissors .... what about the ones "applique", "close cutters" ? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Scissors .... what about the ones "applique", "close cutters" ?
Watching TV shows again & wonder about these....
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 12/18/11 10:31 PM

I was watching some TV sewing shows & some are doing quilting & using "applique" scissors to get closer seam allowances. These scissors have a big flat edge on one side & regular scissor edge on the other. ...Also what is "close cutting" scissors... not the usual bent angle scissors or even full size scissors like I am use to. ......Do you feel either of these or one works better when it comes to quilting, & appliques or "crazy" quilting ... I kinda make up my own way of putting things together..... nothing elaborate it is just what I do. What scissor do you like for getting the appliques & seam allowance to look nice? ... I have regular bent angle 8 inch & snips. Is something better that is not real expensive too?
Thanks for the info & advice.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^

DH has to have more eye injections.. no change...injections start 7/23
My kid brother is having a triple bypass, his heart..Scary... Please keep him in your prayers.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ... Please help us out soon...+

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Scissors .... what about the ones applique, close cutters ? Date: 12/18/11 10:40 PM

Sometimes these are called 'duckbill' scissors. I bought a pair many years ago after cutting something I didn't mean to cut. I don't use them alot, but when I need them, they do the job. They are perfect for applique, grading seams and trimming necklines when I use knit binding.
I've never used 'close cut' scissors
Joanns often has scissors half price, and you can use your PR discount with that.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to diane s

Date: 12/18/11 11:52 PM

Thank you.... what brand did you buy? Are they expensive?

------

My kid brother is having a triple bypass, his heart..Scary... Please keep him in your prayers.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys

Date: 12/19/11 0:51 AM

I have two pairs of the Gingher Duck Billed Applique sissor and I like them. Not enough to normally need or buy two pairs though, just because I lost one pair, could not find it for a length of time, (and it was hidden/left in some fabric) then broke down and bought a new pair and then found the older ones too. They are not inexpensive at all , but they are nice. I think I paid about the same or a little more than you would pay just for a normal 8 inch pair of Ginger bent handle shears. So if you don't have some more regular kind and size of sewing shears that you really like a lot first, I would not make a special applique kind of pair the priority at all, and would get the more normal ones first, but if you have lots of sewing stuff, and then want some, then I think it's worth it. Not really anything you can do with them, that you actually could not do with any other sissor at all, but I do think when using them, it would be a lot harder to by accident cut some place that was not intended, just because of their more unique shape. I actually use mine for more applique and applied work, but if you were trying to grade down many. many layers of fabrics in some seam allowances at all different widths without catching the wrong layer there, I think they would work pretty good for that too.

kathyann
kathyann
Intermediate
ME USA
Member since 9/24/05
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 6:10 AM

I use mine all the time for grading and trimming seam allowances, I couldn't sew without them!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 7:21 AM

I use my Gingher applique scissors to grade seam allowances that have interfacing. After cutting into fabric by accident, I bought these. I also use them for applique.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 8:25 AM

Quote: tgm and Kittys
Also what is "close cutting" scissors... not the usual bent angle scissors or even full size scissors like I am use to. ......

"Close-cutting" scissors mean (to me) scissors with small, slender blades that cut cleanly through the fabric, all the way to the tips of the scissor blade. Not all small/craft scissors will do that, and it's very important when cutting "cleavage" in applique, like a heart shape for example. A lesser scissor will chew the fabric and make a mess.

I use the Gingher 4" scissors that I bought at JoAnn's with a 40% coupon
link. There is also a curved blade version, which also I have. Some people prefer the curved blade for cutting rounded shapes, and I cannot decide which I prefer. . Without a JoAnn's coupon, I would not have either.
Ratkins

Ratkins
Intermediate
NY
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 12/19/11 9:39 AM

I have a pair of the duck bill scissors. To be honest, I never used them as they were intended until my last quilt, where they worked well to trim the back of some applique. Mine are made by Gingher, and they are the sharpest pair of scissors I own.

I am also very fond of Karen Kay Buckley's applique scissors for general fabric trimming, like cutting out appliques or snipping into the seam allowance. They're not very sturdy but they do the job.

Janet

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN

Date: 12/19/11 9:58 AM

Found them & a coupon for 10% off too....
Also found the Gingher applique scissors ... so 10% off the total order too today.... Thank You!
10% off coupon code is vipsave2012 if anyone else is ordering scissors. .........this then total great sales!
Thank you for telling me about them... seems they would work better than snips. ........ and I think the applique duckbill scissors sound like a wise investment too...
Many thanks for all the replies....

------

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Subject: Scissors .... what about the ones applique, close cutters ? Date: 12/19/11 10:13 AM

Oh I just spotted spring loaded Fiskars rotary cutter... interesting for ergonomic cutting. Has anyone tried those?

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Scissors .... what about the ones "applique", "close cutters" ?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

McCall's 6460

photo
by: Knitters D...

Review
McCall's 6111

photo
by: ryan's mom

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Runaround Bag

Runaround Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.