Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Has anyone actually NOT given their kid nothing for Xmas? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has anyone actually NOT given their kid nothing for Xmas?
Mom to 5
star
Mom to 5
Beginner
MD USA
Member since 2/5/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 12/20/11 10:39 AM

my 12 yr old's attitude stinks... and his grades have dropped...

I have threatened but Im ready to make it a reality

------
http://mamazsewingescapadez.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

In reply to Mom to 5

Date: 12/20/11 10:56 AM

Since you are Mom to 5. I take it you do plan on buying for the other children.

Just IMHO.. But don't associate his school work with the Spirit and Giving at Christmastime. Its like mixing politics with religion.

I think you would be much better off letting Christmas be Christmas.. and find another way to guide him and encourage him to be a better student.

So. maybe some of the members have thoughts on how to help him with school. There has to be an underlying reason why his grades have dropped.. You need to find that out.. and address that issue/issues.. And find a way to motivate .

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

Date: 12/20/11 10:57 AM

BTW. Mom.. he's l2.. going on l3.. not an easy age for a child. Talk this out with him.. and his attitude may be due to hormonal changes you know..

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/11/07

Date: 12/20/11 11:00 AM

My great aunt received a lump of coal one year.

While I'm not Christian, I did grow up with Christmas, and my understanding is that this is a time of generosity and understanding, that this is the time in which you are to be MOST Christ-like.

You say you've got five kids, and that's probably a handful, especially this time of year. But it seems like your twelve year old could use some mom-time. You probably need to find an evening for just the two of you to find out why his grades are slipping and his attitude sucks. (Though I wouldn't put it that way at all.)

I know we were all teenagers once, but I hear stuff from my younger cousins that I know didn't happen at my school -- stuff I wouldn't know how to deal with. Cyberbullying is unthinkable to me, and the sheer viciousness of all the kids seems to have increased since I was in high school. I say that because I often hear people say "Well I lived through it, and it wasn't that bad." Now that might be nostalgia talking, but at the same time, this may be the first time your kid is really struggling, and it's not the same middle-school experience that you or I had.

It's possible that your son is trying gamely to hide something that has gone very wrong, and does not really want to talk to you yet. But I really do recommend that you sit down and, in the most supportive way possible, try to figure out what is going on.

At the very least, he likely deserves some new clothes and maybe some teen-oriented books about overcoming middle school difficulties and growing into oneself. (I don't know if there is any point behind Christmas gifts beyond symbolism, but for Yule, they are meant to be things that you will need and will use in the New Year.)

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/11/07

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 12/20/11 11:03 AM

Regarding this -- if you look at advertising, there is (for better or for worse) a huge focus on just barely pubescent looking girls. Fortunately, this does give developing girls a sort of feeling that they belong in this world. Slow-blooming boys/pubescent boys barely exist, except as comedic relief in teen movies. I can't help but think this must cause a deep feeling of uselessness. I don't say this to bring up a rant about advertising, but keep in mind the world your son has to live in.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Mom to 5
star
Mom to 5
Beginner
MD USA
Member since 2/5/09

Date: 12/20/11 11:05 AM

Thanks PP... you are correct...

his grades have dropped because he is utterly unorganized and because he is used to slacking... because he is very smart, he didnt need to study before... he has very bad habits to break...and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS the hormonal changes only are making this even harder...

I'll hide his gift under a bag of coal :/

------

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 10/5/08

Date: 12/20/11 11:06 AM

I hope you are just venting and not even serious about singling out one of your children and not giving him "anything" for Christmas.

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Mom to 5
star
Mom to 5
Beginner
MD USA
Member since 2/5/09

In reply to lisalu

Date: 12/20/11 11:10 AM

Quote: lisalu
I hope you are just venting and not even serious about singling out one of your children and not giving him "anything" for Christmas.

of course just venting...though since we are traveling out of town & spending $$ on gas, hotels, etc...Xmas is scaled down a considerable bit...

------

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 5/11/08

In reply to Mom to 5

Date: 12/20/11 11:35 AM

Hi Mom to 5, I taught junior high for 30 years (yes, really) and his performance is not so out of the norm. Many students slip drastically when entering this time because they have more responsibility but cannot organize their schoolwork. We (schools) tend to do 2 things which are at cross purposes: 1)keep them so busy with lots of classes in their schedule, sports programs, afterschool classes, clubs, etc
2)expect them to be attentive to higher level problems in classes.

12-14 year olds (+/-) are truly slow to organize, and focus , and have higher level problem solving skills. Students who were top notch in elementary school sometimes take a dive in jh, and then come back up in hs.

They need lots of help remembering what to do, when. He could keep a planner in his notebook which you can check daily. You can help him by contacting his teachers and then supporting his efforts to keep up.

Many parents start with the above suggestions, and then stop either through exhaustion, or because their student is so crabby about the help. Don't give up!! Just smile and keep checking on him.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Mom to 5

Date: 12/20/11 11:36 AM

This is a tricky issue and a tricky time for both you and the kid. Lots of unproductive behaviors can get started here (ask me how I know), and the fruits of mutual antagonism are pretty bitter.

If you can possibly manage it, I would strongly suggest a couple of sessions with a family counselor to give both of you a chance to discuss and clarify what is going on and work on a healthful way out of it.

Really.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Has anyone actually NOT given their kid nothing for Xmas?

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Other 2007 Wardrobe Contest
photo
Review by boppingbet... on 7/31/07
Read Review

Liesl + Co. Cappuccino Dress & Tunic Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Cappuccino Dress & Tunic Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Betsey Apron Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Betsey Apron Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5365
photo
Review by CarolynGM on 9/10/09
Read Review

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern
SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Details
Price: $14.25
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5682 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Butterick 5682 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1004 Pattern ( Size 8 )
Vogue 1004 Pattern ( Size 8 )

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN