SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > need advice on a decision ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
need advice on a decision
which fabric?
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 4:11 PM

I have been wanting to make myself a mustard colored blazer. I have been looking for about 3 years for some mustard wool flannel. I finally found it here. It is the marigold Dorr wool for $23.00 per yard. The lady at Dorr Mill sent me a swatch for free. It is perfect. However, I am about to cough up a lung over the $23.00 per yard price tag. It would be over $50 by the time I got it here with the shipping. I know that there are alot more expensive wools out there and that is probably the going rate, but I am someone who is used to shopping at fabric.com. I have priced just buying a mustard wool or velveteen blazer and they are all at least $99 so I would only pay about half with the fabric making it. I found this similar velveteen fabric at denverfabrics for $5.75 per yard. What would you do?

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew

Date: 12/20/11 4:39 PM

Uh-oh, I shouldn't have looked. Based on the pictures. One is a work of art and one is a piece of fabric. I know what I would do if I had been looking for 3 years. Shoot, if I had been looking for that particular shade for 3 years, skip my first thought of getting the work of art. I'd get both, perfect my muslin, make up the velveteen and then make up the beautiful mustard wool flannel. Then make up some lovely jacket covers. They will both serve you for many, many years.

I haven't tried felting yet. do you suppose that the matching yarn could be felted onto a rtw knit or sweatery shell? Perhaps along the neckline or in a quiet accent pattern?

Best wishes.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 12/20/11 5:19 PM

NICE Ticking too.. every time someone here posts a link it cost me money..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew

Date: 12/20/11 5:20 PM

A blazer.. made with that fabric.. will look classic, good, and last a long time.. I would think of it as an investment piece ... I think you will regret it more if you don't buy it.. then if you do..

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 6:27 PM

Did you notice that the FFC velveteen is only 34" wide?

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 7:00 PM

I say go for it! But I'd most definitely make a muslin, and cut out my jacket with extra seam allowances so I could adjust it as I sewed.

It IS an investment sort of piece so get the fabric you REALLY want. You won't regret it.

HTH

------
Liz

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 7:54 PM

I was on a similar search recently. I'd been looking for charcoal grey wool flannel for more than two years. I never found anything dark enough. I did, however, find some dark smoke grey Shetland wool at Fabric Mart for only $9/yard. I decided it was good enough, and I'd never find the exact right fabric, let alone for such a great price.

You, however, HAVE the perfect fabric. And yeah, it's pricey--but you don't need that much of it (I needed 5 yards). For only two yards, I'd probably bite the bullet and get the wool I really wanted.

That's one of the benefits of smaller projects, after all--you get to splurge on the really good fabric you could never afford for a coat or a gown!

(And if you're really desperate to feel like you're getting a good price on the wool, save up every little scrap of the flannel and sell it to rug hookers on etsy.)

------
~Gem in the prairie

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 9:47 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have one other question. I just found this 100% cotton velvet on SYfabrics. My overall cost would be $15 less. It reminds me a little of this JCrew blazer (see below), which I LOVE. I have sewn with velveteen before, but I am not sure about 100% cotton velvet (light to med weight). I am now kind of leaning toward it. How is 100% cotton velvet to work with? It is amazing to me how you look for something for three years, and then things start coming out of the woodwork.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 11:07 PM

I was thinking of jcrew blazers! I covet the pink velveteen myself, but I totally understand the mustard idea. I think you should go for it. Velveteen is nice too if it's a nice quality. I think you're definitely saving money making it and would think twice about a $50 price tag. I would think twice about a $200 tag, which is what you'd spend at jcrew.

------
Melanie

koo104
star
koo104
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 1/25/04
Send Message

Date: 12/20/11 11:39 PM

How skilled are You at tailoring jackets?
I would not recommend using anything other then wool,( and NOT Gaberdine). You will get better results in wool.
Once you've made a wool jacket, then you can try the velveteen.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> need advice on a decision

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 1224

photo
by: jenleeC

Review
Lolita Patterns Spearmint Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.