SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > Jeans Contest - Official thread ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Jeans Contest - Official thread
January 15th - February 15th, 2012
treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/23/11 4:59 PM

G'day everyone!

I'll be your contest manager for the Jeans contest.

On a personal note, I got into sewing as I was having heaps of trouble finding a good pair of jeans. Being short was half my problem but it was also in a time where distressed jeans were the fashion and most of the stuff in the shops were in worse condition than the pair I was wanting to replace. I still have those jeans today although I must say my sewing has improved a little since then.

So whether you are are on the journey of making your first pair of jeans, a seasoned professional or somewhere in between I hope you can join me. I'm looking forward to watching the gallery fill up with lots of great jeans.

Get a Badge

The rules are as follows, but as always, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeans Contest
January 15th - February 15th, 2012

This contest is to make a pair of jeans for yourself or someone else. For the purposes of this contest, we will define jeans as trousers made out of denim. You can sew anything such as the traditional five-pocket jeans, skinny jeans, slouchy jeans, or trouser jeans. Utlimately, your jeans will be judged on how well they fit given the style, how nicely they are sewn and the special details you add to make them stand out from the crowd. Jeans can look a lot alike, so focus your efforts on making your jeans special.
For lots of great tips on sewing jeans, please consult this thread: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=40960

The rules for this contest:

1) Make a pair of jeans that fits the spirit of the description above.
2) Your jeans can be any color of the rainbow, however, they must be made out of denim.
3) You may use stretch or non-stretch denim; however, the fabric must be woven and the lycra content can be no more than 10%.
4) You must take a minimum of 3 photos for this contest. We would like to see the front of the jeans and the back of the jeans when worn. We would also like to see at least one photo of a special detail you added to your jeans, such as topstitching, embroidery, rivets, etc.

Prizes
Sponsored by:

The 1st and 2nd place winners will be decided by member vote.

First Place Prize: $75 Gift Certificate
Second Place Prize: $50 Gift Certificate

Standard Contest Rules

1. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.

2. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!

3. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.

Contest Eligibility

1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.

2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.

3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).

Guidelines for Voting on Contests:

Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.

You may choose to assign a point value to each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your choices.

1. How well does the garment/collection/ensemble/item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?

2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?

3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?

4. Is the review complete and well written?

5. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?

6. Creative points. You may choose to give credit here for extras including embellishment, creative interpretation of patterns, creativity in creating a pattern, or even for having the restraint to leave something strikingly simple.

7. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.

-- Edited on 1/12/12 5:15 PM --
-- Edited on 2/6/12 6:40 PM --

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 0:53 AM

Congrats! I don't think I've ever seen a contest thread posted this early!

Knowing that jeans were your first project gives me hope. I want to sew my own as my waist and leg measurements vary greatly. What now fits my waist no longer fit my leg.

I plan to use the Jilly jean pattern from StyleArc and am waiting for it and my fabric to arrive...I see, by the rules, that my back up plan of using corduroy from stash is now illegal!

Is there an official definition of "good fit" since the contest will be judged on that? I've seen jeans posted that elicitated comments of "great fit" when I was wondering if the wearer could even breathe, let alone sit! That is not what I am striving for!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw

Date: 12/24/11 2:55 AM

G'day Jan,

Yeah, the contest committee have been really quick with the first 2 contests. Hopefully it will give everyone a chance to plan ahead and hit the ground running when the gun goes off. Reading the denim thread there looks like are fair bit of prep is already underway.

The Jilly jean sounds great. I've read quite a lot of successful reviews for the StyleArc patterns so I'll be keen to hear how you go. Sorry about the corduroy but I hope your fabric arrives soon.

I think "good fit" can be very subjective and shouldn't be confused with the style (eg stovepipes vs "relaxed" fit). For me, I'd be looking for the same wrinkle indicators for fitting that you would on any pair of pants.

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

sewmodest
star
sewmodest
Advanced Beginner
MD SAUDI ARABIA
Member since 2/6/04
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 7:40 AM

Hi All,

I was so hoping that jean skirts (with all the jean pant details) would be allowed since I'm working on skirts right now. I still want to try for this contest just means I'm going to have to change things around a bit.

Time to start fitting again.

Sewmodest

------
http://farhanasews.blogspot.com/ my general sewing blog
http://ycmi.blogspot.com/ my learning to sew blog

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 10:03 AM

I. Am. So. In.

Aroura
starstarstar
Aroura
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 7/30/09
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 11:21 AM

I have never made any pant more complicated than PJ's, or shorts for DH (at least those had pockets). I would love to try this out!
I have a quick question. I have a piece of denim in my stash, but it is herringbone denim, is that okay to use? I'm not quite sure how to qualify the material as denim. I did a burn test (100% cotton, no stretch, burned to ash). I can post pics of it if need be. :)
Thanks in advance for your help!

------
Sewing is more than my hobby, it is my art.
My new Blog: http://itssewcreative.blogspot.com/

redhotpepper
star
redhotpepper  Friend of PR
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 2:35 PM

I'm in. It's been awhile since I've done a contest and I'm getting the itch. I promised both my girls (9 and 12) I would make them each a pair of jeans at least a year ago. This will give me the kick in the hiney I need!

Annie

annakeeton
star
annakeeton  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/4/09
Send Message

Date: 12/25/11 7:29 AM

I'll join this contest as an incentive to sew my first pair of jeans.

GwenH
GwenH
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 8/26/09
Send Message

In reply to annakeeton

Date: 12/25/11 11:07 AM

Quote: annakeeton
I'll join this contest as an incentive to sew my first pair of jeans.

LOL, good for you! I currently plan to read the contest thread, and view the progress and final project pictures, as incentive to sew my first pair of jeans. I have the fabric and pattern and it will happen someday. Hopefully seeing so many successes will motivate me later in the year to tackle my own.
MidnightBleu
star
MidnightBleu
CA USA
Member since 6/16/11
Send Message

In reply to treefrog

Date: 12/25/11 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting the thread for the Jeans contest. I'll be making my jeans out of some old brushed denim in the fabric stash. I wanted to get some stretch denim, but I opted for using up old fabric I already have over buying new. Looking forward to seeing what everyone sews in this contest. Hope to get the fabric washed and the muslin done between Christmas & New Years.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Jeans Contest - Official thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 1248

photo
by: pegsewer

Review
Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.