SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > What is it with my appliances? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What is it with my appliances?
And why now?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/23/11 6:38 PM

Tried to open the freezer on our new fridge the other day and found it was blocked by ice. It is a freezer on the bottom fridge and there was an ice sheet formed from water coming down from the "works" somehow. Pulled out the ice, but see more is forming. Yes, it should be under warranty, but a pita to get done.

Switched in my perfectly lovely, maybe 5 year old stainless steel Cuisinart kettle yesterday and it cycles on and off in one second to 30 second bursts. You know it will cost more to just look at it and see if it is fixable than to get a new one.

And who wouldn't want to go small appliance shopping two days before Christmas? The funny thing is that DH just came up to make tea and said "oh, the kettle is broken. I guess I can't have tea!" Luckily, his resourceful wife knows important survival skills such as boiling water in a pot.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Plantwizard
star
Plantwizard
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 2/14/03
Send Message

Date: 12/23/11 7:28 PM

I don't know what it is but I swear appliances communicate with one another with the goal of making your life as miserable, and as expensive, as possible.

Jan

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 12/23/11 8:01 PM

Oh heck tourist. don't despair.. its the best time of year for appliances to break down.. as you can buy those ones on Christmas special for a mere 9.99 cents.. at most drug stores..
They should almost last as long as the more expensive ones do.. sigh..

2ndHnd Rose

2ndHnd Rose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 12/25/04
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 12/23/11 8:09 PM

I feel for you. It wouldn't be Christmas or Thanksgiving at my house without some appliance malfunction.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 12/23/11 8:18 PM

Yup...my Mother's freezer was iced up...huge chunks...she did not pay attention so all her food defrosted. Fortunately it was on last Sunday and the repairman came on Monday...but I remember a house we had...every Christmas the septic would back up...like it KNEW! Talk about a house that hates you!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

andrea.m
andrea.m
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 8/3/03
Send Message

Date: 12/23/11 8:57 PM

Hey, at least it's xmas and there are some decent sales out there. This from someone who just had to replace a printer 2 weeks ago and a microwave today.

Just to make your day even brighter, the new small appliance eco recycling fees came into effect for BC in october.

http://www.unpluggedrecycling.ca/

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

In reply to andrea.m

Date: 12/23/11 11:57 PM

Quote: andrea.m
Just to make your day even brighter, the new small appliance eco recycling fees came into effect for BC in october.

What a guaranteed tax grab! Appliances are designed to last about 2 days after the 1 year warrantly expires.

I feel for you Tourist. My over the range microwave is now making these loud cracking noises more frequently than not, and sometimes I swear sparks come out of the bottom. The mother board is going. You push the fan to come on and the light comes on instead. Our dishwasher is eyeing all this and is acting up too. I agree with the poster who says "they (the appliances) know". I have to be desperate to use the micro to even chance it. I load the settings, hit start and run as fast as I can just in case it wants to blow.

I also am married to "do not buy new when you can replace/repair." I would so agree with him if the repair wasn't nearly as much as the new gadget and several weeks in the making. Yep, when our electric kettle broke several years ago, I spent six weeks making tea at least 2 times a day with a pot on the stove while the part came in. DH refused to buy a new one.

DH is making rumblings about having someone come look at our micro. I plan on telling him after Christmas that they only person coming is the guy to put in the new one!
goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 0:19 AM

My kettle also died last week. I had a spare so used that one for a couple of days, then it died too! Unbelievable!

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 0:33 AM

My conventional oven stopped working properly. Three days later I decided to cook dinner in the convection part of our microwave/convection oven. It wasn't working properly either. Two ovens in a few days!

Today the convection repair person came out. It apparently was the fan belt, not the controls as he had thought on the phone. Regarding the fan belts: "they don't make those anymore". He managed to fix it.

Oh, yeah, the repair people for the conventional oven regarding that part: "they don't make those any more."

These ovens are only 13 years old.

I do agree that appliances have formed some kind of coalition and decide to go bad at the same time.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/24/11 1:21 AM

So not just me - an international conspiracy. That makes me feel better in a really bizarre way! My dishwasher is hanging in there. this time last year it appeared to be on its way out. Stove is also aokay. I hope! DD did have to finish the turkey on the BBQ a few years back due to some ghost in the machine problem that never recurred. The microwave sorely needs replacing on aesthetic reasons alone, but it will have to wait yet again. If only we could sew new ones!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> What is it with my appliances?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 3452

photo
by: norsk

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 259307-1000

photo
by: oldfashion...

Review
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.