SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > fabric recommendations wanted for warm draperies ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fabric recommendations wanted for warm draperies
Need something to insulate windows
purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 12/25/11 1:51 PM

Dear all,

I live in a craftsman-style 1923 house that still has its original double-hung, single-pane windows. Despite the storm windows we installed and a new HVAC unit, it remains a challenge to heat and cool our bedroom adequately with its four large windows (ca. 65" tall, 34" wide). We've already caulked the frames and added weather stripping around the jambs. Now I'd like to hang heavy drapes against the winter cold and would like to know what material I should use. Is there a wool or felt available that has a nice drape yet is heavy enough to block out the cold? I've used black-out lining in some shades but don't like its stiff hand and rather stay away from lining any curtains, period. I've tried it and was never quite pleased with my results.

Thank you so much for any fabric recommendations and sources.

Claudia

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/25/11 2:40 PM

They do make thermal drapery lining. One brand is called Warm Window, and they have it at various places online.

A lot of thermal RTW curtains are made of brushed cotton twill, which is probably going to be a little easier to care for than wool for curtains. I sort of love the idea of wool flannel drapes, but you wouldn't be able to wash them, and they'd probably pick up every little bit of lint floating around.

------
~Gem in the prairie

auntie bellums
auntie bellums  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/1/05
Send Message

Date: 12/25/11 4:34 PM

What ever you pick, make sure that they are generous in size. I usually make them a good foot larger all the way round on the sides and floor length. It helps to keep the cold behind the drapes.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to purplebouquet
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/25/11 7:36 PM

It might also help to hang some cellular shades behind the drapes.. think layers here. the more layers.. the more warmth..
Also think layers for the rest of the room.. area rugs over wood floors for instance..

janlorraine

janlorraine
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 10/6/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/26/11 2:07 PM

When we first moved into our house with terrible single paned mullion windows, I made quilted roman shades. Some are quilted with cotton and others with wool batting. The thing is that, in the morning, the windows will have a lot of condensation. Even now, with storm windows or, in the ones we have replaced with double paned glass, on a cold night, lots of water collects. But, I do have to say that a quilted shade, especially with wool batting, really works to help keep a room warm. Also, R30 batting insulation in the attic; that really made a difference. And we do not live in a cold climate here in Georgia. Maybe that is why in older houses the insulation is so scanty and poor.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/26/11 5:34 PM

Joann's sells Warm Windows, and when the batting goes on sale, so does the WW. I ended up getting mine for 50% off because it was on sale, then another 10% off that for the VIP membership (and if we had been a few minutes earlier, we would have waited for the welcome 20% off for the text thing, but it was already close to closing).

They really make a huge difference, and we have three year old windows.

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 8:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

Those of you who are familiar with Warm Windows, is that material appropriate for drapes? I checked out their website and I almost got the impression they are better suited for Roman or side shades than drapes or curtains. But maybe not? Who is in the know?

Claudia

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

In reply to janlorraine

Date: 12/28/11 1:13 PM

Quote: janlorraine
When we first moved into our house with terrible single paned mullion windows, I made quilted roman shades. Some are quilted with cotton and others with wool batting. The thing is that, in the morning, the windows will have a lot of condensation. Even now, with storm windows or, in the ones we have replaced with double paned glass, on a cold night, lots of water collects. But, I do have to say that a quilted shade, especially with wool batting, really works to help keep a room warm. Also, R30 batting insulation in the attic; that really made a difference. And we do not live in a cold climate here in Georgia. Maybe that is why in older houses the insulation is so scanty and poor.

JanLorraine,

we had problems with extreme condensation on our upstairs windows for years. Insulation and storm windows didn't help. We also had a perpetually damp crawlspace floor. Then, one spring, we laid black, 6 mmm viscine in our crawlspace, and the house finally dried out. Now the windows only fog up when the temperatures drop at the onset of winter but then stay clear for months.
Maybe your house is too damp overall?
We live in central Arkansas, so our climate zones may be similar. Good luck.

Claudia
janlorraine

janlorraine
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 10/6/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 10:05 PM

Thanks Claudia. As it happens, we "encapsulated" our crawl space just last year. We are monitoring the humidity level in our house electronically. But the windows only have condensation on the coldest days not all the time.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 10:43 PM

They're meant to be roman shades, but since we're not going to open them in winter, I just attached them to the frames with magnetic tape. We put steel drywall corners around the window frames for the tape, but we have a cookie cutter 1950s postwar shoebox with 60 years of paint on the trim, so we're not worried about ruining it.

One note though- the rooms with it are like caves.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> fabric recommendations wanted for warm draperies

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

More Info
Sassy Bag

Sassy Bag

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.