SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Fabric scraps etc sew along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric scraps etc sew along
I'm sewing up my scraps stash - join me
RuthieSews
starstarstar
RuthieSews
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/1/06
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 6:34 AM

I've started before the Stash contest, and am including scraps, pages from sample books etc plus plan to sew through all of 2012, so have started this as a Sew Along. If you would like to join me please do :-), I would lovde tto have company and ideas of things to sew.

My basic drivers are as follows:-
Use fabrics from my stash, mainly home dec remnants, pages from old fabric sample books etc.
Make useful things to use in my home, give away as gifts or sell at the church centre craft fair.
Reflect current taste so my items will sell or be gifts people wish to receive.
Not be overly complex (e.g. quilting) as this will take too long to do.

Items to make include:-
Cushions (pillows)
Tote bags
Aprons
Bunting
Hearth garland
Stuffed Christmas decorations

I would be very interested to read of others ideas of things to make.

------
Sewing in Derbyshire, England
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to RuthieSews

Date: 12/27/11 6:50 AM

I'm in! I started this month with making American Girl doll clothes, (a jacket out of fleece, leggings and top out of interlock) for my neighbor's daughter.

------
Carpe diem!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to RuthieSews

Date: 12/27/11 7:53 AM

What a great idea! I might pop in here and there, with something. In fact, I have a bunch of scraps left over from a jacket I've made, and haven't come up with something for them yet, but I will!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 8/8/07
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 9:46 AM

What a good idea. I try to use most of my bigger scraps for kids' clothes.

My Mom had some great uncles who were tailors who made a tied quilt for her out of scraps of all of the wools they used for their business. She said it was the warmest best quilt ever.

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to RuthieSews

Date: 12/27/11 9:47 AM

What a great idea! I do not have home deco scraps really but some from shirts, skirts & such.

I have made kitty toys. I would like to make new liner's for the girls crates & use up scraps. (kitty carriers ...the ones in there are old old). ... like to try change purses too.
Fun fun............

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh goody, DH has now getting a nice part time job starts Dec 1st. ~smile~
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/4/08
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 10:38 AM

I keep almost all my scraps. I fold the smaller ones into squares about the size of a fat quarter and place them in a plastic shoe box on end. I started to do this when I began doing machine applique. I couldn't find suitable small scraps for the appliques on baby burp cloths and went to Walmart and bough $10 worth of fat quarters -- which I promptly lost and still haven't found BTW --. So, the next time I bought about $10 more and put them into the see-through shoe box and kept adding to them. The larger pieces are put into a separate larger tote so that I don't have to keep unfolding small pieces to find something to work with.

If I am not sure I'll use a piece of left-over fabric for applique, I leave it in the box and pull it out when I need a small scrap for checking my serger stitches, etc. Lots neater than the miscellaneous piles I used to have.

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936 Singer Coverstitch

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 11:01 AM

My mom talked an uphosterer out of his discontinued sample books. She made a lot of pot holders and hot pads out of them. I'm still using them and Mom has been gone for almost a decade.
Sis

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 11:05 AM

I have a "Bargello" quilt top almost done using a lot of my cotton scraps. It's a lot of cutting, though! It may be a long time before I do this again!

RuthieSews
starstarstar
RuthieSews
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/1/06
Send Message

Date: 12/27/11 12:24 PM

Here's the three 22" cushions I made for snuggling on my slightly battered terracotta sofa.

I also recovered the big bean slab, used for feet, TV remote etc.
The bean cube tends to live in the hall for somewhere to sit when talking on the telephone or putting shoes on. The small bean slab (standing on end in front of the bean cube) can be used as a back rest for the bean cube to make it more chair like.

I made the inserts for the cushions on the sofa yesterday evening as I didn't have anything large enough to hand. The bean cube and small bean slab are also homemade (from a long expired beanbag) but some time ago, but did need new covers.

I don't have much fabric left over but will cover a little lumbar cushion to match, and see what scraps still remain after that!

------
Sewing in Derbyshire, England
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to RuthieSews

Date: 12/27/11 12:53 PM

What a pretty fabric and it goes so well with the rust!

I'd like to join in also..I've got lots of scraps and even more now that I've acquired dolls to sew for. I started with a Gene doll at 15.5" and just bought an 8" Ginny doll. Ginny is the doll I learned to sew for. Because of the size of the dolls, I'm now saving scraps and even the clear plastic that I use for tracing, in sizes that I would have tossed out last year!

Kitty..what kind of toys do you make for the cats? Mine are toyless, except for their Christmas present. Each got a ZhuZhu Hamster...they are undecided if they like them or not!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Fabric scraps etc sew along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

More Info
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

More Info
New Look 6125

photo
by: JUNIPERJUN...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.