SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > wips, ufo's etc ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
wips, ufo's etc
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 9:04 AM

What keeps you from finishing, starting or working on a project?

I've watched my own patterns and I'm getting worst with planning, then starting then not finishing projects. I used to have rule no new project until current one is done and I think I should get back to it. I haven't finished anything I've started in the last 9 months or so. I give excuses that I'm tired and not enough time etc. But if I had my old fire back I'd be sewing regardless. I think my real reasons are:

1. end purpose I have this thing that what I'm making has to have a purpose, a gift, or useful in the house.
2. I get bogged down by decisions on how to do a technique or how I should proceed color wise or design wise.
3. I start to find the project overwhelming and put it aside.
4. Sometimes in attic sewing room feel isolated from family members. Also my best sewing friend, Nicky the dog can no longer climb the stairs to be with me and I feel like I'm deserting her as when I'm home she's sticks to me like Velco especially since she's been having a lot more trouble with her legs in recent weeks.
5. and sometimes it's true too tired, overwhelmed and life just getting in the way of creativity.

I think if I were making clothing these might be moot points except for #4. As one can never have too many pieces of clothing. Unlike quilts and wall hangings you can only use so many. Going to really try and get back to this after the first of year, two resolutions lose weight and more sewing.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 12/28/11 10:08 AM

Mr. Poorpigling and the five dogs..

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 12/28/11 11:13 AM

I think the main reason I don't finish things is that I get bored with them.

This week, I have to empty out the sewing room because new furniture is going in...and I have decided that any ufo that has not been worked on in over a year is going in the trash.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Subject: wips, ufos etc Date: 12/28/11 11:52 AM

My problem is guilt! My sewing room is upstairs, and I hate to leave my husband alone in the evening. Stupid I know, and perhaps just an excuse! Especially considering that we work together all day and the shows he likes to watch - okay snore to!- are not the ones I like.
That and after 30 years of antenna tv, we just got satellite - but not in the sewing room where I only get one station. I am easily bored with my own thoughts and like to have voices- but not music- to keep me company. Hmmmm Netflixs might be the answer!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 12:23 PM

I think for me, I always need a challenge - whether it be a fitting (like pants?) or learning a new technique or just discovering what I can do with this TOL sewing machine that I just had to have! Also, I have tasked myself to sew from my stash this past year and am still trying to do that, but it is frustrating to drive by the fabric store and not stop in - just to look! LOL!
I also am trying to clean up my sewing room each evening (ie. put the machine away/the notions in the drawer/wipe down the counter top, etc) so that when I return, the room is clean, neat and tidy vs. the chaos that I have left it in in the past

------
Kemish

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 12:42 PM

These are good questions, and ones that have been uppermost in my mind lately. I am more productive when I have a wardrobe plan, or a long range goal in mind. I sew for seasons and have just finished sewing cold weather clothing. Last night I reorganized my fabric stash and made some notes about what to sew next. Spring sewing is tickling my imagination, and I am not very interested in making wool blend pants right now (even though I need them).

On a deeper level, sewing so many clothes for myself sometimes makes me feel guilty. I try to give away items I don't wear much but I am at the point where lots of stuff in my closet is loved. I just have too much and I feel self indulgent. That slows me down.

(this is definitely a legacy from my dad, darn him!)

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
The more I learn, the less I know.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Subject: wips, ufos etc Date: 12/28/11 12:48 PM

I get bored as well. I think my biggest hurdle is that I'm a perfectionist. Over the past couple of years I've learned to slow down my sewing and make sure each step is done well and up to my satisfaction. If I make a mistake and it's fixable, I attack it immediately. I have learned that I can't fool myself into believing I'll be happy with something and continue with the project. Those are the UFOs that are ultimately bound for trash.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 12/28/11 12:57 PM

I find if I cannot figure it out within a fair amount of time I put it in a big bag & there it will sit .... sigh....
I also do not like leaving the kitties for hours at a time... I put a basket in the sewing area now & have small space heater I hope once I get sewing again it will help.

Sewolf can you bring one of the sm downstairs so Nicky can be close by? .... then you will sew & the two of you can remain close sewing buddies! ...........Hugs to Nicky!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Santa Kitty is on the move... Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 1:01 PM

My biggest problem is indecision (do I really want to make this?) and not being able to prioritize (what should I do first?) -- plus, of course, not much free time.

And there's this other thing, where I have ideas about what I want to make but think if I wait until I know more and have better skills the thing will come out better. I don't want to "waste" the fabric on my learning curve. So that is why I have a mound of fabric that is inexpensive but that I still can't bring myself to cut into.

Once I start something, I generally finish it -- the die has been cast (i.e., decision made, fabric cut). Although sometimes it takes me a while because I keep changing my mind about how I will do things (follow the pattern instructions? or use a sewing book/online tutorial/PR suggestions?).

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 12/28/11 1:49 PM

Marec, repeat after me there is no such thing as having too many articles of clothing, unless you have no where to put them.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> wips, ufo's etc

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Vogue Patterns 8884

photo
by: sarblakesl

Review
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Daily News Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Daily News Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.