SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sew Alongs > Historical clothing sew-along 2012 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Historical clothing sew-along 2012
for events or just for fun
Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
MD USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 11:04 AM

Anyone up for a historical clothing sew-along? Any purpose or just for fun! Theater, parties, re-enactment or SCA, festivals, whatever!

I was lazy last summer and didn't get enough done. Actually, I got to the point where I needed to sew several dozen eyelets by hand, and put the garment aside. Now I have less than three months to:
finish a lightweight short-sleeved 15th century kirtle (just needs the hem which is only a mile long)
draft, cut, and sew a heavy 15th century overgown
make at least two pairs of pin-on sleeves
make a backup pair of hosen
fix the neckline on my smock
before the first event of the season in March, which is usually cold and wet enough to involve multiple layers and the use of spare, dry garments on day 2. Did I mention that I sew all of this by hand?

I also want to make a new 15th century cloak, as my current one is 15 years old and of dubious cut and color. Plus when it rains, the cloak tends to soak it all up and it would be nice to have a spare if it gets sodden at the start of an event.

Plus I am going to a pirate feast in a month and am trying to cobble something together - this event does not require authenticity, so I get to take lots of shortcuts. At this point I just really need to find a pair of shoes (I am going to hunt the thrift stores for something modern but passable) and make a vest. The vest fabric is hopefully arriving today, and I do get to use the sewing machine on this one.

What are you sewing this year?

------
mmmmm woooool

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to Nikki

Date: 12/28/11 11:06 AM

well, this sounds like fun, and I don't normally do this kind of thing! I'll have to give some thought as to what I might enjoy working on....

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

auntie bellums
auntie bellums
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/1/05
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 3:13 PM

I'm in. Can we post pictures along the way. It always helps if I see what others are doing it keeps me motivated.

I've got one in the planning stages. It's the barbeque dress from GWTW from the Pegee of Williamsburg pattern.

I'm not doing the chiffon stuff, just trying the pattern with some printed satin because the instructions are a little strange. Before I do the real thing I thought I better try it out first.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

mmc3673
mmc3673
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/10
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 3:14 PM

I procrastinated this past fall and ended up having to have a marathon session which ended up in me having a skirt for my event, but I was not pleased with it (waistband was quirky), creating a skirt, bodice and chemise for my MIL, and altering a bodice for myself as well as repairs and tweaks to DH and FIL's costumes. I know I have a festival in April, and one in the fall. I am planning on making a very nice (lord/lady lvl) costume for DH and myself so I need to start now for the Fall event. We just do ours for fun. No rules so it makes it easier than hand sewing, but also causes me to get in over my head sometimes....I'm up for the sew along...maybe it will get me started.

Silknmore
star
Silknmore  Friend of PR
Advanced
WI USA
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 7:36 PM

Have never done historical sewing however my SIL asked me to make a 1880's Peasant dress. The pattern is from "Past Patterns". A eager to hear if others have used the pattern.

Annette

------
Silknmore
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 8:32 PM

Oh, how fun! As of *right now,* my projects for 2012 will be a 16th C. fitted English gown of grey wool, and maybe an Elizabethan waistcoat/Jacobean jacket of teal velvet.

I also want to get back to an early 16th C. Italianate Franco-Flemish mashup from a tapestry. I started it several years ago and grew frustrated with the bodice fit. I've learned a lot more about this style since then (it's not widely reproduced, so I've been piecing info from other sources together to figure it out), and feel a lot more confident about draping a bodice for it now. I've also just gotten the newest book from the Tudor Tailor, THE QUEEN'S SERVANTS, which features gowns from the same era (tho' not precisely the same style), and I've been jumping up and down with glee, as it proves something I've been saying about this style of gown for four years. Ha!

Stay tuned on that. :D

------
~Gem in the prairie

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
MD USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 10:54 AM

Silknmore, which pattern number is it? There are some review of this pattern company here: GBAC review page

I can't hem my almost-finished kirtle until it hangs for a while (the skirt panels are cut with one side on grain and the other side on the bias). In the meantime, the pirate vest fabric (taupe wool tricotine) arrived yesterday, I am lining it with natural linen from stash. I'm using the vest from simplicity 4923. The rest of the outfit will be a black/taupe silk jacquard coat and black pants also from 4923 (made years ago), a linen shirt from a Folkwear pattern, knee-high modern tights, and a tricorn hat picked up from a gift shop in Boston. Hopefully I can get the vest sewn up really fast and move on to more 15th century stuff.

------
mmmmm woooool

auntie bellums
auntie bellums
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/1/05
Send Message

In reply to Silknmore

Date: 12/29/11 12:06 PM

I haven't made that one, but I have used Past Patterns and the instructions are kind of wierd sometimes. It just depends. I think sometimes it's easier to tell someone how to do something than write it down.

They use some older sewing techniques so I had to pull out some books and do some research and go on line, but I figured it out and the dress turned out lovely so I can't complain.

Just allow yourself extra time if you have to go hunting.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 12/31/11 6:56 AM

I've got a Regency outfit to sew in time for september 2012. Including wrapover dress, petticoat, spenser jacket and something for my hair, bonnet, cap or turban.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

lynnewill
star
lynnewill
Expert/Couture
WI USA
Member since 6/13/09
Send Message

Date: 12/31/11 8:55 AM

Well Ladies, I am intrigued..Historical clothing and costuming is a passion of mine, which has not seen the light of day for many years. I have been sewing costumes for others and dreaming about sewing some historical/period garments for myself. Maybe this thread will lend some focus to the dream.

I will follow along while I contemplate the possibilities. First I have some ufo's to get out of the studio.

------
http://www.sewingcafewithlynne.blogspot.com
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work
2011 yardage totals:
purchase: 7.5
sewn: 26.75
28 projects in stash - 17 complete
3 in progress

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Historical clothing sew-along 2012

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 244038-1003

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-110B

photo
by: noodlesew

Review
Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Buy Now
Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.