SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Wicking Fabric for Pajamas: ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Wicking Fabric for Pajamas:
Keeping cool at night
Karenann
Karenann
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/8/03
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 4:14 PM

I just read an article about those pesky hot flashes/night sweats and it said the worst thing to wear at night would be 100% cotton. And that wicking pajamas would keep me cool and dry at night. So I checked out "wicking pjs" online and find a few places that sell them for $50-$60 (and up)

Does anyone know of a source for wicking fabric for pjs? It seems like the athletic type wicking fabrics would be too heavy. Has anyone tried this for nightwear? Or would any polyester fabric work?

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Karenann

Date: 12/28/11 5:55 PM

I have made lightweight pajamas and tees of Malden Mills' Powerdry, using their 'Mesh', Popcorn Knit Bi-Color, and the 'silkweight' (which is incredibly light, and feels like the finest cotton jersey).

These are all nice fabrics. I have bought them from The Rain Shed.

If you order their Wicking Swatch Set for a dollar, your fingers will help you make your decision about weight, texture, and so on.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 6:00 PM

Wicking fabrics come in all weights -- there are some light weight ones used in athletic apparel as well as the heavier ones you are probably familiar with.

Take a look at Peak Fabrics in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Great customer service and great selection of fabrics. She will send out samples (there might be a small charge for the samples).

I use all weights of wicking fabrics in my production of athletic performance apparel.

I have also used some lightweight wicking fabrics for PJ tops (aka camis) and they are great for when the internal furnace cuts in. I just need to find the time to make myself some PJ pants out of the same fabric.

HTH

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 6:25 PM

I bought some at Fabric.com, although there was differences in quality, even in some with the same names, in different colours. Some were beautiful, others not so much.
Oh, Wazoodle used to have lots of ProCool fabrics. Some people have had problems ordering from them, but I never have had.
Helen
-- Edited on 12/28/11 6:26 PM --

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 7:26 PM

Rockywoods.com carries UnderArmor Heatgear fabric.

Silknmore
star
Silknmore  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 7:32 PM

One more "thumbs up" here. When I was in the deep of menopause I only wore Coolmax nightgowns and they were wonderful.

Regarding polyester, unless it's made as a wicking fabric, I'd stay away from it.

Good luck.

Annette

------
Silknmore
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Karenann

Date: 12/28/11 8:39 PM

-- Edited on 12/29/11 1:15 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 9:09 PM

It is hard to beat silk for comfort. I don't get full sweats, just too hot now and then, so I get away with regular cotton/poly jersey type nightgowns for now. PJ's will be warmer no matter what they are made of, I guess.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

Date: 12/28/11 9:26 PM

I bought a fabric labeled "soft knit" at my local mill end fabrics. It has a square mesh pattern on the back. It is worth it's weight in gold! During perimenopause I had to give up my cotton. Anytime I even think about trying to go back to cotton or flannel I feel clammy within 1-2 hours.

Karenann
Karenann
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/8/03
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 11:06 AM

Thank you all so much! I was stumped about this but thanks to your replies I have a lot of options now,and I will check them all out.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Wicking Fabric for Pajamas:

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 2611

photo
by: Erinaceous

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now
10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.