SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > Any Mac users out there? ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Any Mac users out there?
How to I post a profile picture?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 7:57 AM

I just got an IMac and I've got a picture in my photo booth that I would like to put as my profile picture. I can't figure out how to post it on PR. Anybody using a Mac out there that can help me?

clotheshorse
star
clotheshorse  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 10:21 AM

There is an IPhoto icon on the left above the pictures in Photo booth. You can click on that to import a picture into IPhoto. Then when you go to edit profile, you click on choose file and select IPhoto. From there just select the pic you want. Then you have to click save at the bottom of the page and login.

------
Viking D1, 1+, Pfaff 7570, Singer 503 Rocketeer, 66, 15-91, 301, Featherweight 6 Flock, Babylock Enlighten & CS and Pfaff Creative Performance

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 12:04 PM

You can also upload that picture straight from your photo booth folder. There is nothing special about a Mac in regard to uploading photos - you do the same thing you do on any other computer - find the photo the file is in and then select it for upload and upload it. Your Photo Booth folder is in your Pictures folder in your HOME folder with the little house icon. :)
-- Edited on 12/29/11 12:05 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 1/1/12 8:12 AM

I tried it and it says it has to be a jpeg file. I still can't figure out how to do it. I need to go to my Mac store and take some classes.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/1/12 11:45 AM

In Photobooth, select the file, then click File, pull down to Export. That will create a jpg file wherever you choose to put it.

------
Debbie

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 1/3/12 8:03 AM

Okay tried that way and it says it's a jpeg file but I still get a msg saying it must be a jpeg file.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/3/12 3:38 PM

maybe it needs to be renamed .jpeg instead of .jpg? You can select the file name and change the suffix.

------
Debbie

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 1/3/12 9:00 PM

On any system, Windows or Mac you really need a nice little program to change formats of pictures from time to time. On a Mac, Preview will do this already. You can go to the file you want to use in the folder in which it is located, then right click on that file and choose "open with" and choose Preview. Then when that file opens for you, go to file, then save as, then there is a little drop down for formats and you can choose jpeg or jpg or PDF and for all I remember, some others. If this isn't good enough, I highly recommend the tried and true Mac program called GraphicConverter, available from this website:

GraphicConverter

This program has a long history of user loyalty - myself among them. I have used this since 2003. For a Windows machine, I recommend Faststone Viewerwhich is a free program for home use and is excellent. Both these programs will convert graphics to many formats, and they both have photo editing components which are more than I have ever needed. I have used both for a long time.

Things you know on one system are transferable to the other you know - all computers are all files and files arranged in folders, and although Macs and WinPCs may call things different names from time to time, they are not as unsimilar as advertising wants you to think.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 0:17 AM

The photos in my PR photo album are all .jpg, so I'm guessing that the file type is not the problem.

The thing I noticed about uploading is that PR's file names are picky. Only so many characters, alphanumeric with no special characters, are allowed in the name when you are uploading the file. Also, the file size you get with photo booth may be a lot larger than you really need. If you use the export function, whichever program you are in when you look at your photo, you can tell it to export the file at whatever size you like and give it a short name. Then, when you are ready to upload the file, you browse to find the file that you exported. The character limit for the name includes the 4 characters of .jpg or 5 characters of .jpeg, so the rest of the name you give your photo must be only 15 or 16 characters.

HTH

------
Fictionfan

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 3:38 PM

The file says it must be a .jpg. I go into Photobooth and find the picture I want. It says it is a .jpg. In edit profile I click on to add a picture and I keep getting that message saying it must be a .jpg file which it is. I give up!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> Any Mac users out there?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Simplicity 2464

photo
by: sewinganda...

Review
No Pattern Used 2013-10

photo
by: katlew03

Review
Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.