SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Spray stabilizer vs Spray adhesive ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Spray stabilizer vs Spray adhesive
confused
cakemix
cakemix
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/23/11
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 10:40 AM

are these two items the same?

I'm so frustrated.
I have to sew up some skirts from very slippery fabric- most are the silky polyester type material and a few silk all on the bias.

I already made one up and has to toss it because it came out TOO SMALL despite my cutting it out on the proper seam lines. I guess the material 'ran away' from me as I was cutting it out unbeknownst to me

I even sewed it up wit a 1/4 inch seam as opposed to the 5/8 inch it called for. And it's still too tight!

I went to the fabric store and sold me a spray can of Dritz Adhesive.
How do I use this?

Do I spray it directly on to my slippery fabric- on the right side or wrong side? And most importantly- will this wash out ??
No one at the store knew.

Is this the same as a fabric stabilizer?

Please help as time is running out for me.

Thank you for ANY help!
-- Edited on 12/29/11 10:47 AM --

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 10:47 AM

I use spray adhesives in quilting. I would not use it on silk. I would try a test on the backside of the poly fabric (check for stains) and spray in well ventilated area. I also use a walking foot when sewing slippery materials it helps with even feed. If the material is not going to be washed I would not use the spray.

cakemix
cakemix
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/23/11
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 10:49 AM

The skirts will be washed- so this Dritz spray adhesive will wash out?

Is this different from a 'fabric stabilizer'

thank you :)

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to cakemix

Date: 12/29/11 12:06 PM

Faultess Spray starch is your best friend with fabrics like these. You lay the fabrics out nice and flat before cutting them, spray them liberally, let them dry (does not take long), and you do not even have to iron them before working on them. They will feel like good cotton during construction, and the starch will wash right out in the washing machine when they are done.

With bias cut skirts you often need a surprising amount of ease (I think Marcy Tilton mentioned something like ten inches around the hips!). A couple of inches certainly will not do it, so be sure to check your patterns' measurements carefully before cutting. Oh, and the standard side seam allowance with bias is one and a half inches, too, because the seam allowances get skinnier when there is weight on them.

cakemix
cakemix
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/23/11
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 12:56 PM

Thank you SO much for this information.
Thank you both :)

I have learned the hard way that cutting out fabric on the bias turns out to be at least 2-3 sizes smaller than I want

So would you recommend that I cut the fabric 2-3 sizes BIGGER than I want?

Also- If I spray the slippery fabric with the spray starch- do I still cut "larger" or cut my regular size?
this is still confusing to me.

Thank you again.

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 12/29/11 12:58 PM

I second the starch.

Any slippery fabric (charmeuse, chiffon) that can be washed gets liberally starched before working with it.

I don't have a large area where I can lay it out, so I hang it over the shower rod and spray and spray. Let it dry, and it will be as stiff as newspaper.

Be careful pressing though...any crease you press into it is going to stay.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

cakemix
cakemix
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/23/11
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 1:17 PM

HI Michelle- do I need to cut my skirt BIGGER when I spray starch it or no?
If I spray starch it- I can cut it out to my regular size- ?
--Bias cut pattern--
-- Edited on 12/29/11 1:19 PM --

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to cakemix

Date: 12/29/11 1:26 PM

If you can, mark the seam lines where they belong for your size, and then leave extra generous seam allowances (i.e., extra fabric. That way when it comes time to sew you'll know where the seamlines should be, and you'll have enough fabric to adjust, if necessary

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Sauvage
star
Sauvage  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 2:27 PM

The adhesive, if it's the same kind I have, is temporary--you can use it instead of pins, and eventually it unsticks.

So it has a different function (making two fabrics stick together rather than making one fabric more solid and easier to handle). Both starch and adhesive can address a slipping problem--with adhesive, though, both sides might still slip away, just together rather than one at a time.

(Also, the adhesive I bought was considerably more expensive than spray starch....)

------
Jeanne
2014 yards in inventory: (to be counted)
Yards cut/sewn:58
Yards purchased: 46.3

"People....so much bigger on the inside." Doctor Who, "The Doctor's Wife," 6.04, by Neil Gaiman.

ggexpansive

ggexpansive
Advanced Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 10/2/07
Send Message

Date: 12/29/11 3:50 PM

Yes you spray starch, let the fabric dry, then cut out with very wide seams 2" - 5" which ever you have enough fabric for. As was said you may want to thread trace your sewing line on the fabric and use a walking foot if you have one. Also let the skirt hang at least 24 hr before sewing the hem.You can do it!

------
if a little voice inside says dont buy that fabric you have so much, you know your not pushing the cart with the loud wheel to the cutting counter fast enough!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Spray stabilizer vs Spray adhesive

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Butterick 5788

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1261

photo
by: lbrundage

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.