SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Spouses and stashes ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Spouses and stashes
patternaddict
patternaddict
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 8:45 AM

Just curious ... those of you with spouses/SO's, what do they think about your stash? I thought I had a big stash (3 totes, a couple of drawers, a couple of shelves, some odd stacks here and there ....) but compared to some of you, I guess it's pretty small. I also have a couple of large boxes of patterns. Hubby complains about it a lot ... keeps suggesting that he's going to contact the show "Hoarders." We DO have a small house, but still, I mostly manage to keep the stash out of public view. Only the soon-to-be-cut pile is in the living room, since I cut on the living room floor.

(He has far more jewelry findings and glass rods for HIS hobbies ... but those take up less space.)

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 9:11 AM

DH is very supportive of my love for sewing and has never complained to me about my collection. I am doing my best to work on stash reduction for the New Year but have never felt pressure from him to do so. We have a fairly small rental as well but most of my storage hides/protects the fabrics. Maybe since he doesn't *see* the stash everyday he isn't reminded of how much I have. I also keep him happy by occasionally making stuff for him.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

pfaffkj

pfaffkj
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 7/28/05
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 9:51 AM

DH and I make it a point to stay out of the other one's stuff. He probably thinks I have too much and I know he has too much, but we just keep those opinions to ourselves.

He rarely ventures into my sewing studio, a dedicated room that is frequently a disaster from a house-keeping point of view. My stash has crept into the guest room closet and under that bed -- not places he frequents either! I'm not sure he truly realizes how much I have. Heck, I'm not sure I've got my own head wrapped around that concept!!!

------
Karen

Yards in stash: I don't want to know!
2013 yards sewn: 1
2013 yards bought: 5

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to pfaffkj

Date: 1/2/12 10:07 AM

Quote: pfaffkj
DH and I make it a point to stay out of the other one's stuff.

That is exactly the rule we live by in this house!

My husband is a professional musician, and the upright bass, piano, multiple electric basses, amps, equipment, etc, take up significantly more space than my stash, so he has nothing to say about it.

Also, we don't combine our incomes. So as far as either one of us are concerned, what the other one chooses to waste their discretionary funds on is nobody's business.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to patternaddict

Date: 1/2/12 10:34 AM

cutting table

Out of sight out of mind. This table folds out when needed and the sides fold down when not in use, dosn't take up much room. Much more comfortable for cutting than pins on the carpet or hardwood floor.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 10:52 AM

My DH wants me to buy more of it, and we live in a small house as well (like, it's about 500 square feet at the moment). I have 10 boxes of patterns, 4 totes, one box and fabric lying all over the place (by that I mean I have the stuff I've bought recently on the shelf we use for a pantry, in his gun cabinet drawers, a box in the pot cabinet on the side I don't use and a basket on the fridge. The boxes are not what they came in, but what they are in currently.)

He tells me since fabric makes me happy, he's more then happy to buy it for me. I keep telling him that I have too much fabric, and I seriously need to sew (our nightstands are totes with tablecloths over them with...you guessed it...more fabric). He's supportive, and probably too much so about it.

Matter of fact, he made me order more fabric yesterday since what I was looking at worked with some other fabric I am about to work on and creates an entire wardrobe with the two fabrics I ordered instead of a couple of pieces that work together.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 11:18 AM

We have tons of space and my DH has always had expensive and space consuming hobbies, so he is pretty cool with it. He is iffy on machine collecting though, and I think that helps me not collect them for the sake of collecting, but makes me examine the usefulness of each one.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 11:20 AM

What a great husband, Elaina!

And seriously, unless a man is completely sedentary or has no outside interests, his stash--if you can nerve up enough to inspect it out there in the garage or the shed--is as big as his wfe's.

We all have our areas of specialization, and domestic partners should be very tolerant about this.

patternaddict
patternaddict
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

In reply to sew2006

Date: 1/2/12 11:31 AM

Thanks for the link to the cutting table. But I think $700 for a table is a bit out of the budget. (And even folded it takes up more space than a floor.)

redhotpepper
star
redhotpepper  Friend of PR
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 11:32 AM

My husband likes to complain about fabric but just reminding him that he has a whole, separate building for his hobbies usually stops the complaints.

His shop has directv, Internet and a reloading table that has a set up for 2 so he AND a friend can play with bullets. The only thing it's lacking is plumbing. He hunts and fishes so all of those required items are stashed there too. Plus, the man has more coats than any man I have ever seen.

Annie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Spouses and stashes

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

You Can Make This 0010

photo
by: crazygrad

Review
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.