SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > if you had a Christmas cheque ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
if you had a Christmas cheque
what would you do?
rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/2/12 1:38 PM

a relative has given me a very nice Christmas cheque as a present this year. They've told me to spend it on something I enjoy.

Now, I know for some people this may sound odd, but not being an overly materialistic person, spending money on myself (in more than moderate amounts) is not something that comes easily.

So I've been thinking about what to do, and the idea occurred to me that it might be worth investing in my sewing hobby now that I have been seriously bitten by the bug as they say.

I am not looking for a new machine (am quite happy with my 60's Bernina). I know I could go on a massive fabric splurge, but am mindful of the fact I don't have much storage space. I was thinking about maybe a serger?

I also thought getting some new feet for machine might be worth it, as they are quite expensive to get. Enablers are very welcome to comment!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 1/2/12 2:11 PM

Considering your other posts............

Start a savings fund for a future machine.

Or, set the money aside while researching sergers.

Pay for another (more) course.

Seriously upgrade cutting tools.

Pay someone to make a custom overlay for a piece of your furniture to temporarily convert it into a cutting surface or pressing surface. Or add hinged back to a piece a of furniture for the same purpose. Or, change out a piece of furniture so that it better accommodates your lifestyle.

Dress form?

Sketch pad that inputs to computer? Or, upgrade your computer to keep up with your course work.

Start a savings account for a sewing related trip.
Start a savings account for a shopping trip for fabric for investment garment wardrobe components.

Set it aside until you find a piece of jewelry that will always remind you of the giver.

Contact a friend in the U. S. to purchase Vogue patterns for you when they are on sale for $3.99. Add about $2.50 to $3.00 each for postage.

Best wishes.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 1/2/12 2:20 PM

Here's my suggestion: Split it in half, take a class with one portion and save the other for something else that might come your way.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
online now
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 1/2/12 2:40 PM

thanks for the excellent list of suggestions. I'm not sure what kind of course I'd want to do next, but it is worth looking in to. I could also look at the reviews of the cutting tools here on pattern review for inspiration.

I bought a dress form last year (so tick and has been very worth while). I never even knew that there is a sketch pad you can feed in to your computer. Hmm, possibilities with software come to mind. I have read about this but haven't thought about it at all.

The suggestion about a sewing related trip has suddenly wetted my taste buds. I have 11 days holiday left I have to use up by the end of March. I've not been sure what to do. But the idea of going on a fashion inspired trip sounds great.

I don't tend to wear much jewelry (I dont have pierced ears and tend to wear fairly high necklines). In terms of new patterns I am trying really hard to not create too big a list of things to make. Having said that I am sure some people would be aghast to know I have 7 patterns waiting be made.

hmmm, possibilities to excellent, I shall be back once I've thought things through further!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 1/3/12 11:13 AM

This is one of the products for 'sketching' to your computer.
Wacom Bamboo

Someone just posted about the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit in Denver. Perhaps you could find something like this in a city you would like to viist. Or, you may want to visit somewhere that is famous for its textiles or for its fabric district. Or, just someplace inspirational and take your sketch pad.

A sweeping retrospective of the designerís 40 years of creativity, Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective features a stunning selection of 200 haute couture garments along with numerous photographs, drawings, and films that illustrate the development of Saint Laurent's style and the historical foundations of his work. Organized thematically, the presentation melds design and art to explore the full arc of Saint Laurentís career, from his first days at Dior in 1958 through the splendor of his evening dresses from 2002. The DAM will be the only United States venue for the exhibition. Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective will be on view through July 8, 2012.

Best wishes, hope you enjoy the decision process.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 1/6/12 2:29 PM

How about investing in a couple of sewing DVD's that you can use over & over again ? I like having some of Sewing With Nancy's DVD's & have used a couple of them many times. Helpful hints, sweatshirt makeovers, quilting ... there are endless DVD's.. Then I would try hard to save for something else you really want for sewing. ..... Oh I just thought of something else I have wanted to do here... a quilting bus tour! .... It is a 2 day bus trip & they have lunch & go to quilting shops all around the area & upper Illinois see samples, some short workshops, time to shop. ... it might cost $150 for the whole trip, you can go on just 1 day of the trip you want to. ......
How much fun this is!!!! Enjoy the thoughtful gift.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 3:13 PM

I would spend it on a sewing retreat or PR weekend.

There is a retreat at a Monastery in Sask every Spring. I have wanted to go for years. You play for your courses and room and board is around $100.00 per day.

maybe once the kids are finished school.

mt

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/19/12 5:48 PM

well, I think it is time for an update seeing as I posted about this issue a while back. I decided to use my name as inspiration (ROSIE). So have gone ahead with some of the letters.

I now have a new Overlocker (Bernina 800) which should mean I have an easier time finishing lining seam finishes (I often use acetate which ravels like crazy). Still got to thread it all up and give it a try out. Exciting.

I have got some new Illumination and invested in an Ottlite lamp which clamps on to the side of sewing table. No more struggling at the end of a long day at night trying to see stitches with a stitch ripper.

Next on the list is a new Seat, to keep me comfy and take care of my back when on A Mission to finish something.

Thanks for all of the help with ideas, I still have a few letters left to sort out the specifics of.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 4/19/12 7:10 PM

What a treat. Opening your thread and finding out what you have been doing on this is as much fun as opening my own package. Thank you for sharing.

------

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 4/19/12 7:16 PM

When did you get the check? Most have dates written on them that they are void after 90 days. I just wanted to be sure the check had not gone past the 90 days. I would be awful to find what you are looking for and the funds no longer available.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> if you had a Christmas cheque

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Butterick B5658

photo
by: Sharon1952

Review
Burda 7372

photo
by: JanineMck

Review
Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.