SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > What max 1 piece quilt size with B530 ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What max 1 piece quilt size with B530
PhaVic
PhaVic
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/16/11
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 3:13 AM

Of course, I'm not there yet, I've not even begun to sew my first quilt and I'll begin with a baby size quilt anyway ; but I'm perusing books and am intrigued : how much will I be able to put under the arch with a B530/Aurora ?

Is it possible to quilt /or FMQ a King size in one piece with a normal size SM (light batting) or only behemoths can do it ?
If not possible with a B530/Aurora size SM, what are the techniques to go around the size limitations ? Is there a tuto I can look into ?
TIA
-- Edited on 1/5/12 11:53 AM --

------
Always a novice

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 4:28 AM

I have pieced and quilted on my Aurora 440 many times, with success. Don't know if that machine has much more space than yours? There are tutorials on Youtube and lots of information in books. For king size quilts, patience and careful manipulation may be required, but it is possible. You can also 'quilt as you go' which means making up your blocks, making a quilt sandwich of top, wadding and backing, and quilting that small section. When all blocks are finished, you then stitch them all together. Sheldrake House embroidery has good pictures of the technique.
Look at posts by PR member Isewquiltart, who is superb at giving how to's.

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

PhaVic
PhaVic
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/16/11
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer

Date: 1/4/12 9:24 AM

Thanks ! The B530 is the same size as the Aurora, so it should be ok then. I follow Isewquiltart's blog and she mentioned she had a megaquilter and an Aurora, so I kind of wondered which one was used on big projects. She does an amazing job ! It's her blog that gave me the quilt bug...

------
Always a novice

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to PhaVic

Date: 1/4/12 11:15 AM

I really recommend this book: Machine Quilting in Sections. NAYY but I think it's a great book for handling large quilts.

One tip from that book that is super easy is to just use about 1/3 of the batting in the middle of the quilt first. Quilt that part (so you're only rolling up empty fabric in your harp area. Then, when that is done, add batting to the outer 1/3 and quilt it. In that case you only have less than 1/3 of your quilt in the harp area.

Good luck!

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 6:22 PM

We've had multiple guild members say they quilted their king size quilts on their 440, I don't think it would be a lot of fun, but it can be done. There is a lot of space in that harp if you scrunch tightly.

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 11:53 PM

I am so happy that my blog and quilts are inspiring you MasqueEtPlume! I love to know what I write is appreciatedc by others and is inspirational. I love my Aurora 440 and it is far and away a more refined machine for quilting than the Mega Quilter, which I sold years ago when I sold my frame. Infact I would go as far as to say there is no comparison. You absolutely made the right choice!
There were many annoying features and design limitations that I was not sorry to be able to sell it. I think it gets the job done for a cheap price but that comes at the expense of quality in design and manufacture in comparison to other machines that are developed with a really good understanding of what quilters do to machines when using them, and even into things such as the feet. Design of walking foot for example is radically different with much superior visibility in the Bernina feet compared to the walking foot that is designed for the sem industrial with a tiny gap between the toes, and that casts a shadow, so you cannot see the ditch you may be wantint to quilt in, or the line you may have marked to stitch on...

About the quilting on the Aurora, which is a gorgeous machine for quilting, it handles the King size quilts fine with some careful prep and the right set up. The 5 series has similar size harp, the machines are essentially updated Auroras with a few extra bits tossed in and a facelift. So you are good to go wit the machine you have. I really like Berninas for their ability to freemotion quilt with no problems with tension once you adjust for different threads and battings. No annoying little eyelashes whilst you learn from seperate bobbin cases with a bobbin that you insert compared to top loaders that can have more problems with this particuarly for beginners.

Just remember when you work a King size quilt you need have no more than half the quilt stuffed into the harp so that is only 1.5m max tucked in there. Tuck, pleat, stuff, but don't roll and you will find with decent battings that are not horribly thick you can do this. I like the highly compressible wool batts with resin bonding, because they are light and compress well into small spaces making your work manipulating the quilt much easier than heavier cotton or other types of batting like needlepunched batts. And you get nice stitch relief happening when you work on wool. Try some and be amazed- Tuscany Collection or Hobbs Heriloom Washable Wool, so long as it is wool and resin bonded you will have the right stuff. It is sold under two names at least I know of in different places, one packed up folded into squares and the other rolled tightly. I like the folded more. There are other nice batts around so do try a good range even to quilt into cushion covers to sample the different properties of batting. Weight is important, light is good when looking at the weight of a King size quilt. There is considerable weight there just from the backing and the quilt top so avoid adding lots more with a heavy batting. You will be pleased you do this later on when you launder a large quilt and are trying to arrange it to dry. Keep away from any batting that you cannot squish up into a small space in your hand when you squeeze it or accept it will be challenging to work with in a very large quilt.

Maybe if you are comfy with singles and wallhangings already start with a nice large lap or a double and work your way into the larger sizes. Make sure you sort your workspace with good ergonomics, flat bed sewing and a nice high chair so your shoulders are down and relaxed and you won't get sore when working if you take regular breaks to stretch and move around out of the chair. Raise your feet up on phone books with the foot pedal as well if necessary to get high enough for comfort, if your legs are short- prioritise the comfort of your back, neck and shoulders.
And, really be thorough in pinning every 2-3 inches all over the quilt and then stabilise quilt in the ditch or use water soluable stabiliser so that the layers cannot shift when you start to freemotion quilt. I really toss my quilts around and they really get a work out on the table and you will find you can confidently do this and manipulate the quilt to wherever you want to go if you have basted really well, and you will get no puckers at all. Don't stretch the backing whatever you do, just baste the top, batt and backing together with pins with the same tension on them (i.e. none) I like to do this over a cutting table so the only tension that is applied is by gravity on the edges of the quilt that fall off the sides of the basting table.

I really hope you enjoy learning to quilt with your 5 series machine, you are lucky to have a lovely machine as it will make learning so much easier for you ,and you will avoid so many frustrations that less well designed machines dish out to their unfortunate owners. And, thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you can leave a comment so I know you were there!! There will be some really exciting things appear on it later this year but some of course I cannot reveal- big show quilts that are secret for time being-as well as work that I can show that are workshop samples or smaller pieces just for fun. Keep in touch!

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

sewtogo
sewtogo
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/19/05
Send Message

In reply to iSewQuiltArt

Date: 1/5/12 0:01 AM

Could you please put a link to your blog? Thanks!

------
Quilter, sewer, felter. Bernina 820, 630, FW 201k,

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

In reply to sewtogo

Date: 1/5/12 2:15 AM

Your wish is my command!
Feast your eyes here!

Enjoy. The quilts change over time depending what I am doing. Check out some of the previous posts as the last one or two are vegetating projects in the middle of a house move, my productivity is shot to pieces and the studio is non existant in any working order.

------
Quilting up a storm

Sibilance7
Sibilance7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

Date: 1/5/12 2:17 AM

Yes, I would love a link to your blog, as well! I always love your informative posts, and I'm particularly interested in reading more about your quilting with the Aurora, as I was lucky enough to get one recently. So far I love, love, love it, and I can't wait to start my next quilt on it!

Edited to add:
Ah, it looks like we posted at the same time! Thank you for the link!
-- Edited on 1/5/12 2:17 AM --

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/5/12 6:35 AM

Sibilance7, enjoy your Aurora. Great machine for quilting, you will have to dig back a while for posts on quilting. Will likely blog more on that sooner than later as its good to revisit stuff I know people are wanting to know and not everyone digs back through old posts.

------
Quilting up a storm

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> What max 1 piece quilt size with B530

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Other Clever Charlotte

photo
by: Alison Cum...

Review
New Look 6108

photo
by: Lori9999

Review
Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.