SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Flannel that is INTENDED for Children's Sleepwear? Where to buy it? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Flannel that is INTENDED for Children's Sleepwear? Where to buy it?
speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 7:36 PM

I would love to make some pjs for the grandkids, but everytime I see a cute flannel at the fabric shops there is a disclaimer: "Not intended for Children's Sleepwear"!

Huh? Just what is one supposed to use? I have NEVER seen a flannel without the disclaimer.

Does anyone have a good source?

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 7:44 PM

speattle this is being discussed in a thread I just started here & I've been reading a bit about it.

The short version is that TPTB decided that polyester is less flammable, therefore safer, for baby's skin than cotton. Or chemicals (nasty chemicals) are added to some fabrics to add flame resistance to them. All righty then.

The safety concerns are really taken care of by making sure that there isn't excess air space between the clothing and the skin. As sewgramma put it so well, "What I do is tell the parents of any baby sleepwear I make that the items are not flame resistant, so please don't set the kid on fire."

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

jenleeC
star
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 8:01 PM

I have also seen this disclaimer and wondered! I think because it is made of 100% cotton and has no flame retardant treatment. If you google "flame retardant fabric for children" you can read about the safety standard for children's sleepwear.

The one that really makes me laugh is the childrens' PJ patterns that say "Note: the garments in this pack are not intended for sleep apparel". This must be legal butt covering in case they are ever sued! I only found one pattern on the McCalls site without this description. That pattern was for a fitted 'onesie' and the recommended fabrics were flame-retardant fabric that meets the US safety standard.

This doesn't help much in your search for flame-retardant fabrics, sorry! Most of the sites I looked at were for industrial flame retardant fabrics but I am sure you could track some down on-line with a bit of searching. I have never seen any in-store.

Edited to add: I don't much like the idea of using either polyester fabrics or chemically treated cotton for children (or anyone for that matter). Maybe the best thing is to use the cotton flannel but make sure the style is not too loose and flowing.
-- Edited on 1/4/12 8:08 PM --
-- Edited on 1/6/12 8:21 PM --

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

MamaSewing
star
MamaSewing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/21/05
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 9:07 PM

I stopped using ready to wear pj's for my children several years ago b/c of the chemicals used in sleepwear for flame resistance/retardancy. ( If you do a search on this (google, etc.) you will probably not want to be using it either.) I started making all my childrens pj's with regular flannel and cotton fabrics, the ones not intended for sleepwear - needless to say that they don't have as many "outfits" for bed as they did when I just could buy a new set! But I sure do feel better that they aren't absorbing all those nasty chemicals while they sleep.

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

In reply to JillyBe

Date: 1/4/12 9:50 PM

thank you for the direction.

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 1/4/12 11:00 PM

Facts about fabric flammability has a chart of fabrics from most to least flammable, although it does depend on how the fibers are woven together-- silk chiffon will catch fire, while silk fibre is relatively fire resistant. (To truly meet the standard, the fabric must self extinguish.)

Children's sleepwear regulations explains what is mean by tight fitting.

Usually, cotton flannel is blended with a more fire resistant fibre-- such as modacryllic.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

In reply to andye

Date: 1/4/12 11:10 PM

Great links, thank you andye!

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 1/5/12 6:37 AM

I think mostly these labels are because of all the lawsuits that get filed all the time to limit liability. To me the choice between chemical treatment and polyester or natural fibers to sleep in would not be difficult. We didn't have all this when my girls were small -of course cars didn't have seat belts or car seat until the youngest was born so I guess I shouldn't put in an opinion. I just went to the store and bought fabric for the nightgowns and pjs-I never saw any of this until the grands appeared. They wear very tight knit pjs now that look almost too small when they bring them home(boys)-no telling what the pjs get dipped in. The older boy has quit wearing that type-has looser fitting ones now. My daughter said the close fit was to prevent getting caught or strangled for the little ones-don't know about the fire prevention factor of the fabrics.

patternaddict
patternaddict
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy

Date: 1/5/12 12:29 PM

I made most of my daughter's pj's when she was younger because that was the only way I COULD avoid wrapping her in layers of polyster...
(Since when do babies spontaneously combust in their cribs?)

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Subject: Flannel that is INTENDED for Childrens Sleepwear? Where to buy it? Date: 1/5/12 1:36 PM

Quote:
Since when do babies spontaneously combust in their cribs?

They don't-- which is why the regulations apply only to sleepwear worn by children over 9 months of age.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Flannel that is INTENDED for Children's Sleepwear? Where to buy it?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Vogue Patterns 8496

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 8616

photo
by: chenille

Review
Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Buy Now
Victory Nicola Paper Pattern

Victory Nicola Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.