SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > darts or gathers? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
darts or gathers?
best style for fitting at the bust
rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/5/12 5:02 PM

I asked my sister for her opinion about a dress I recently made. She charmingly described as "a sack with waist darts".

When I queried what made her say this (she is rather blunt) she said it was the gathering round the dust. To cut the ensuing discussion short, she prefers darts. I've never really given it much thought, and have happily now made items with both darts and gathers round the bust area.

I have read from other posters that depending on your bust size, different styles can be less or more flattering. Being a B cup I have thank goodness never had to venture in to the realms of a bust adjustment (all respect to those who do).

So, is this is a matter of personal taste, or does my sister have a (darted) point? For the record, I equally bluntly told her, no, I would not be wearing that dress to the beach or to bed! She sounded slightly horrified when I told her it was made for work. Too late, it has already been on several outings.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/12 5:15 PM

well, I think it's very cute, for whatever that is worth It looks, though, like it might be a bit too big in the bust for you? Hard to tell sine there are some shadows in that part of the pic. Regardless, i would wear it.....

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

In reply to kkkkaty

Date: 1/6/12 12:57 PM

thanks for the comment kkkkaty. I'm happy with how much ease there is when I wear it, I do still want to be able to pick stuff up etc without it being too tight. You're right the shadows make it a bit hard to see. I was just so happy to have a day with sunshine to take photos, as it is really hard to see the colour of fabric otherwise.

I am really interested to have other PR members advise if they think gathers are something I should avoid. Don't be shy, I won't take offense!

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 1:08 PM

I'd agree that the top looks a bit big. Another possibility is that maybe this fabric is a bit stiff for gathers? For me, gathers need a soft drapey fabric.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 2:45 PM

It reminds me of this butterick pattern (5603)

As for your dress, it almost looks like there are too many darts-- each one imparts only a slight curvature to the midriff, and so the eye is drawn instead to how rectangular they are-- and since they aren't perfectly square, it looks sloppy. I don't mean to sound harsh--it's just that the pattern has too many design elements in the wrong places.

Perhaps if the back and front were cut on the fold, and there was a side zipper-- but of course, that's difficult with the high neck.
-- Edited on 1/6/12 2:47 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 1/8/12 8:12 PM

Here's my opinion (and it's just that...) The darts that are below the bustline don't show off the bust because the bust isn't full enough to come over the top of the dart and the bust mound is lost in the gathers. This design is making the wearer look a little flat chested. What I would do is this: lower the horizontal bust seam about 1/2" to 1", making the darts lower, so that the bust is emphasized a little more and the darts aren't the main view. Leave the gathers in.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/9/12 3:10 AM

thank you all for the further feedback. Miss Fairchild, you have opened my eyes to something I have never considered with your bust seam suggestion. I always thought a seam under the bust should fit closely, and didn't consider the other effects it might have.

I have made one other dress with gathers under the bust (here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51739988@N05/6153575674/in/set-72157627684241658) where the problem is not quite so visible. I think it is because I have added the sash in a contrasting colour directly underneath.

Going back to the blue dress, the seam allowance is only 1cm at the bust so no room for any further adjustments south. I am making a jacket to go with it which I hope will help even things out. It is really important to me to find out about stuff like this as I dont want to invest time in something which is not going to suit me but at the same time I want to try new styles as well and be adventurous.

Thanks.

Sheseams
star
Sheseams
Advanced
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/10/12 4:20 PM

deleted
-- Edited on 1/10/12 4:24 PM --

------
Keeping myself together one stitch at a time.

http://sheseams.blogspot.com

Sheseams
star
Sheseams
Advanced
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/10/12 4:21 PM

I second:

Justgail: when she said a fabric can be to heavy or thick.

Missfairchild: It would help to lower the bodice, although you are not heavy chest you may be "long" chested and need lower the bodice.

HTH :-)

------
Keeping myself together one stitch at a time.

http://sheseams.blogspot.com

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 1/10/12 5:30 PM

In general, I suppose darts tend to be more tailored, while gathers can be more flowy and feminine, although it does depend on the style. I prefer sewing gathers just because they're easier, but darts probably look better on my fluffy figure.

I think your dress is cute, but the multiple darts (tucks?) in the skirt and the below-bust gathers do tend to direct the eyes right to that area. It looks good, but it is a certain kind of look.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> darts or gathers?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Other GertiesBook

photo
by: Seamstress...

Review
Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.