SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Polyster (ITY) and Underarm Odor ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Polyster (ITY) and Underarm Odor
ChristinePDX
star
ChristinePDX
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 7:13 PM

So not a glamorous topic. I have been happily using ITY to make some beautiful knit dresses, but whoa, do they ever start smelling bad in the underarms after a few hours. This is so strange (and embarrassing), it just happens with synthetics. Anyone else experienced this?

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 7:47 PM

My friend and exercise buddy has this problem with sports bras. She just has to eventually toss them in the trash. This is a very unhelpful reply, I know.

There was an entire thread topic about odors in clothing here . They talked more about mildew but lots of products were metioned and maybe one of them will work for your ITY.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to ChristinePDX

Date: 1/6/12 7:54 PM

You'll be glad to know it's a very common issue with polyester fabrics, which is what your ITY knits are, so you aren't alone. Personally I avoid poly fabrics and mostly wear natural fibres.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to ChristinePDX

Date: 1/6/12 8:46 PM

When a family member was on heavy duty chemo along with other extremely large doses of medications I thought I might have to start tossing clothing. The real problem was that if one of the 'stinkies' got mixed in with another load, it could contaminate that load also. Vinegar ended up being the solution. The worst culprits got a nice long soak in vinegar and then was thrown in the washer, vinegar and all, for a prewash before running through a regular cycle. A couple of garments needed a double dose of this. During this time, I got rid of the shirts with heavy collars. The collar, in a cotton/synthetic blend, just held on to everything.

The cleaners worked with me on dress shirts. I prewashed collars and underarms at home and they gave it everything they had at their facility. It was just a matter of communicating with them.

I rarely take medication, but when I do, I notice that that is when I might have a problem. Do not mix clothing with this kind of a problem with your other laundry. If possible, hang it to air out until you launder it; not squished up against other garments.

Vinegar is cheaper at more of an old time grocery store that will carry it in the gallon size for their customers that still pickle.

You could also look into old type dress shields.

Best wishes.
-- Edited on 1/11/12 3:52 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 1/6/12 8:47 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of the athleticware fabric (what I've been interested in lately) out there is polyester or some sort of synthetic blend so it's hard to get around. However, the benefit of being able to sew affords us the opportunity to find alternatives.

------
Judy

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to ChristinePDX

Date: 1/6/12 9:02 PM

I think that was one the problems with all those old polyester men's and women's suits and clothes from the 1970's too. Even in preivious polyester incarnations. No and or not much breath-ability. Kind of what happens even if you wear enclosed, closed in plastic or vynil shoes too, over fabric or leather ones a lot of the time. They do have more wicking and some more pass though kind of polyesters now though. I would wear polyester in the cold winter time or sitting just in an air conditioned office, and not worry about that, or have that kind of issue maybe, but I don't like polyester sometimes and it's properties so much in the hotter temps at all. I like polyester a lot better if it's mixed in with some more natural cotton or rayon fiber in there, as more a mixed blend, most times. That usually lets it breath a bit more.

A long time ago, maybe even now still, I'm not sure, they used to make dress shields, I believe to give you some wicking, and probably so people did not have to clean their clothes so often. Never tried those, but they looked rather uncomfortable to me in pictures I have seen of them. But if you even just wore a very thin, even tissue weight cotton top under the dresses with at least some short sleeves in it, that might help some. Or maybe come summertime, you could turn them into sleeveless summer dresses instead?

ChristinePDX
star
ChristinePDX
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 9:20 PM

I am a big fan of vinegar, and always have a gallon on hand. I am sure it will help with the after-wearing odor, I just worry more about the smell when I am wearing it. Maybe synthetics were why anti-perspirants were developed? I normally just wear a low-key Lush deodorant, but if I continue to wear ITY, I am going to have to step up to the chemicals. Too bad, I have developed quite a love affair with ITY, so easy to sew, maintain and such great patterns and draping.
-- Edited on 1/6/12 9:21 PM --

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 1/6/12 10:31 PM

The Resolve stain stick (which used to be called Spray n Wash stick) works really well on stinkies in synthetics. I use it on DH's synthetic long underwear shirts, fleece tops, and sometimes his merino wool washable long underwear shirts. It's a huge bonus that you can rub it into the stinky area long before you put it in the wash if you want to. It's an enzyme type thing and it has no real odor itself and does not have added fragrance.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 11:42 AM

You may have noticed when you iron a freshly washed poly top it will start to smell? The body odour gets trapped in the fabric, regular washing does not remove it. Vinegar, as mentioned by others will get the smell out.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 1/9/12 9:00 AM

There's a commercial that starts out "Stinky Stinky" but I forget what brand it was. I saw a solution that swimers and scuba gear wearers as a rinse and which allows wet clothes to be bundled up and packed without danger of mildew.

------
JanieV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Polyster (ITY) and Underarm Odor

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Simplicity 1849

photo
by: mochimo

Review
Purse-Nickities

Purse-Nickities

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.