SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Sewing feet ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing feet
How to organize?
galadriel45
starstar
galadriel45
Advanced
Member since 10/24/03
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 2:53 PM

I have a bunch of sewing feet and they even come in a little plastic case where there are fitted slots for them. Plus I have extras that I have bought. I would like to use more of my feet - but I don't even remember what they are for! Does anyone have any solutions for organizing and labeling feet so that I will actually USE them?

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to galadriel45

Date: 1/7/12 7:39 PM

After searching around for ages to find just the right box, I went to Lowes and found a little plastic box with dividers; about 1/3 the price than at Joanns. I don't label mine, but have enough room in the box for every foot I have (and for me, that's alot!) But if you want some advice (funny, I thought you asked... ), there is a book out called Encyclopedia of Sewing Machine Techniques, which uses every foot there is; some I don't have.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 1/7/12 10:37 PM

I love that book! In fact to spend a day with that book doing all her samples makes for a lovely day. I'll see if I can link it from Amazon.
I also use those plano boxes from Walmart..there are 2 which I have found useful. The Options box 2-3601 for clip on feet like Viking and Pfaff uses. If using a Bernina with coded feet the options box2-3750. Then I tape the number of the foot in the slot where the foot is placed. I then have a notebook which has the foot number then the name of the foot and reference to any guides and info I have for it's use.
IMHO the feet make a huge difference in success or frustration in sewing.
I wish I could be as organized with sewing techniques I learn!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 10:46 PM

it worked, but it linked to my amazon account which is not what I wanted. I'll try again. /// Well since my computer remembers my amazon account I can't link it. The book is Encyclopedia of Sewing Machine techniques by Nancy Bednar and JoAnn Pugh Gannon...go to Amazon and you'll find it. I'll have to see if my private info is passed along when I link to Amazon...it is strange.

-- Edited on 1/7/12 11:54 PM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 0:51 AM

Enclyclopedia of Sewing Machine Techniques
A useful little book. Google Books does the discourtesy of deleting all the images-- but I can assure you that the photography is clear, well composed, and, in places, downright beautiful. The book does tend towards the decorative and the heirloom sewer, though.

-- Edited on 1/8/12 0:57 AM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to andye

Date: 1/8/12 1:14 AM

Wow you are good!!! That's what I should have done because it has the Amazon link over to the left. I agree it is a bit on the decorative side but I think Miss Fairchild recommended a book that should be in every one's library...IMHO anyway. Don't you think a day sewing up her samples sounds like a lovely day? In fact I have a machine I need to learn.. I might just do that tomorrow. Not only all the feet, but all the features for an unfamiliar machine. Thanks Andye and Miss Fairchild.

------

newsewer2011
star
newsewer2011
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/3/09
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 3:52 AM

I just use a divided tackle box from the hardware shop, each foot goes into a separate compartment, each compartment has a small circle sticker with a number, then in the lid I have a typed up list....eg 1. Zipper Foot, 2.Blind Hem etc. So its just a matter of finding which number compartment and the foot should be there :)

------
Nat
http://craftybitsnpieces.blogspot.com

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 5:53 AM

I have a puzzle box that came with feet that I use for mine. They have places for each of them, and it matched my machine.

That is about as fancy as I actually am.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 9:52 AM

I have plastic boxes from Hobby Lobby ($1-$2) that look like a craft version of a tackle box. I make samples with my feet and staple the samples to a page of paper and write down notes on any issues I had while making my samples, as well as tension adjustments, tips on set up, etc. The feet go into the box with a taped down piece of paper labeling the foot, and my samples go into clear sheet protectors.

I also printed out as many sewing machine feet function PDFs from Sewing Machines Plus (zipper foot sample link) and file them into the same binder.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

galadriel45
starstar
galadriel45
Advanced
Member since 10/24/03
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 10:07 AM

Those are very helpful solutions, and the book is now a must have on my list! I think a day sewing samples with all my feet would be well spent. Thank you!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Sewing feet

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vogue Patterns V8633

photo
by: wizechyld

Review
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.