SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Do I have to line tweed? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do I have to line tweed?
Please, oh, please say no.
SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi
Advanced
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 10:11 PM

I want to make Simplicity 2846 out of some tweed that I have. I have never used tweed for anything before, so i'm a little unsure as to how this fabric works. It "looks" like it might be a ravelly fabric and that might pull apart from just looking at it. Are you supposed to line tweed to avoid problems, or am I just assuming something is going to go wrong with it just based on it's appearance?

------
http://theramblingsoftcm.blogspot.com/
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 10:16 PM

Isn't tweed wool? Isn't it scratchy? I would line it for that reason alone.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi
Advanced
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/7/12 10:29 PM

This stuff isn't wool and it's actually very soft.

------
Numbers for 2013:

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 10:39 PM

Well, in that case you want that soft cuddly stuff against your skin...not some lining!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi
Advanced
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/7/12 10:59 PM

This fabric looks like it's loose, and it has tiny holes in it. I've pulled on it a quite a bit, and it seems to to be stable, but I don't want to make a dress that's going to fall apart while i'm wearing it. Like I said, I have never worked with this type of fabric before, and I don't know how it might react.

------
Numbers for 2013:

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 11:34 PM

I looked at the pattern. and noticed in the one pic she was wearing a blouse underneath..
Really sounds to me that if you do not line the fabric you described.. you would definitely need to wear a slip underneath the dress sexi. that should solve the problem of it having tiny holes you might see thru ..
If you don't want to wear a slip..then I am afraid I would have to say yes to using a lining. Sorry.. but I think you knew that already.. I don't want you to make up the garment.. then not wear it because you realized you should have put in a lining.. But wearing a slip could maybe solve any hesitation about wearing it. I can't see your fabric. but you can.. and so you be the judge here..
Almost everything looks better/more expensive if its lined.. Might hang better you know.. Sounds like its really nice fabric btw.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/7/12 11:42 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to spoil the feel of soft...ooooh I love soft next to my skin...yummy! BUT if the weave is loose it will shift and change it's shape when wearing and washing...not a happy look...gets frumpy and old looking after a few wearings. Speaking of frumpy...I will post a new thread on the latest Designs in machine Embroidery ugh!

------

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 0:10 AM

I'd recommend lining it. Because of the weave, I'd worry a dress would stretch out in the seat without a lining to take some of the strain.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 0:55 AM

You could use the lightest silk organza lining. You would thus keep almost all the softness and lightness while gaining stability.

Take a look at fzxdoc's gorgeous handling of the lining of her tweed jacket here:

here.
-- Edited on 1/8/12 5:17 PM --

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 10:34 AM

What kind of fabric is it actually? Wool, cotton, knit, woven, etc. (Tweed is not fiber content.)

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Do I have to line tweed?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vintage Pattern Lending Library 0191

photo
by: lbreton

Review
Butterick 4954

photo
by: basicallym...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.