SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Do I have to line tweed? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do I have to line tweed?
Please, oh, please say no.
SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi  Friend of PR
Advanced
SC USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 10:11 PM

I want to make Simplicity 2846 out of some tweed that I have. I have never used tweed for anything before, so i'm a little unsure as to how this fabric works. It "looks" like it might be a ravelly fabric and that might pull apart from just looking at it. Are you supposed to line tweed to avoid problems, or am I just assuming something is going to go wrong with it just based on it's appearance?

------
http://theramblingsoftcm.blogspot.com/
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 10:16 PM

Isn't tweed wool? Isn't it scratchy? I would line it for that reason alone.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi  Friend of PR
Advanced
SC USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/7/12 10:29 PM

This stuff isn't wool and it's actually very soft.

------
Numbers for 2013:

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 10:39 PM

Well, in that case you want that soft cuddly stuff against your skin...not some lining!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi  Friend of PR
Advanced
SC USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/7/12 10:59 PM

This fabric looks like it's loose, and it has tiny holes in it. I've pulled on it a quite a bit, and it seems to to be stable, but I don't want to make a dress that's going to fall apart while i'm wearing it. Like I said, I have never worked with this type of fabric before, and I don't know how it might react.

------
Numbers for 2013:

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to SexiSadi

Date: 1/7/12 11:34 PM

I looked at the pattern. and noticed in the one pic she was wearing a blouse underneath..
Really sounds to me that if you do not line the fabric you described.. you would definitely need to wear a slip underneath the dress sexi. that should solve the problem of it having tiny holes you might see thru ..
If you don't want to wear a slip..then I am afraid I would have to say yes to using a lining. Sorry.. but I think you knew that already.. I don't want you to make up the garment.. then not wear it because you realized you should have put in a lining.. But wearing a slip could maybe solve any hesitation about wearing it. I can't see your fabric. but you can.. and so you be the judge here..
Almost everything looks better/more expensive if its lined.. Might hang better you know.. Sounds like its really nice fabric btw.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/7/12 11:42 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to spoil the feel of soft...ooooh I love soft next to my skin...yummy! BUT if the weave is loose it will shift and change it's shape when wearing and washing...not a happy look...gets frumpy and old looking after a few wearings. Speaking of frumpy...I will post a new thread on the latest Designs in machine Embroidery ugh!

------

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 0:10 AM

I'd recommend lining it. Because of the weave, I'd worry a dress would stretch out in the seat without a lining to take some of the strain.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 0:55 AM

You could use the lightest silk organza lining. You would thus keep almost all the softness and lightness while gaining stability.

Take a look at fzxdoc's gorgeous handling of the lining of her tweed jacket here:

here.
-- Edited on 1/8/12 5:17 PM --

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 10:34 AM

What kind of fabric is it actually? Wool, cotton, knit, woven, etc. (Tweed is not fiber content.)

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Do I have to line tweed?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Other Dressmaking with Liberty

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Couch Caddy

Couch Caddy

Buy Now
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.