SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > computer dummy needs help ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
computer dummy needs help
linking from Amazon
threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/7/12 11:06 PM

I was just trying to link a book from Amazon for another thread. My computer remembers me so when I go to Amazon it instantly shows my account. It has information, such as my real name, which I prefer not to have on PR. So if I link from there all my info is displayed. Any input on this? I tried all kinds of ways to get in without the computer knowing me. HAL is stalking me!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 9:10 AM

Of course there is an answer to this.. but I just don't know the answer..

Sometimes when I want to share a link or info or such and can't figure out how.. I just mention it on a thread.. and one of the more savvy members will do the link for me.. I can't tell you how many times the computer skills of the members on this site have been a great help to me..

But it would be nice to know what you need to do to bypass waiting on someone else to link it. Which reminds me.. I have put out a SOS to my son to teach me this very thing.. and haven't heard back from him.. hmmmm..

Maybe a good bump of this thread will find us an answer .. its got to be faster than waiting on him.. sigh..

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 11:16 AM

Amazon is reading the cookies on your own computer when you go to the site, but it does not keep that information when you link. So if you link to Amazon here, when I click on the link in the message, when the window opens in Amazon it will show me my own account information, not yours.

------
Debbie

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/8/12 11:19 AM

I just bumped up the thread where ccris gave specific instructions on how to link to PR. I printed out her instructions. She is an excellent teacher. Practice her instructions and you'll be linking. HOWEVER I could not figure out how to link that thread ...there must be a different procedure when linking within PR. ccris ...andye...HELP!!!! PS ccris's instructions are on page 2 of the thread.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 11:46 AM

I think Debbie is also right on.. seems to me a while back a member sent me a link in my private email.. then sent me a message that she was concerned I was able to access her account thru the link.. I was not.. and so that does lead me to believe what Debbie said is true..

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 1:18 PM

Debbie is right. You own specific information will show on your computer. Not other peoples'.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/8/12 1:34 PM

Thanks Debbie, Bird and Pig. Love you all!!!!

------

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Lancaster

Date: 1/8/12 1:46 PM

It seems amazing to me that when you link to my link YOUR info comes up for you, not mine. It must be that "cookie" thing is a separate attachment and not part of the link...???? So if someone does not have an account with Amazon in their computer the link I posted will be undefiled by cookies...??? Hopefully my question makes sense...arrrgh

------

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 2:14 PM

Quote: threaddy
So if someone does not have an account with Amazon in their computer the link I posted will be undefiled by cookies...???

Correct. The link "tells" the website to pull cookies from the viewer's computer. If there are no cookies to be found, then the link goes to the generic, uncookied page view. In Amazon's case, it means all the personal link info across the top won't be there.

But if you're still worried, just log out of Amazon and then go find the product and copy the link.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/8/12 5:32 PM

Let's break this down to something more simple: go to the top of a PR page. Whose name is at the top, yours or mine? Yours, right? If you linked a PR thread to another post from your computer, whose name would appear at the top of the page? On my computer, my name; on your computer, your name. Those without an account (or not logged in) would not see any name. :)

When I was new to computers, I had no idea who could see what.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> computer dummy needs help

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

More Info
Burda 7376

photo
by: RebeccaMar...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.