SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Netbooks? Info Needed.. ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Netbooks? Info Needed..
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/10/12 11:04 PM

My husband likes to play cribbage and gin rummy. I do not like to play games and the kids are rarely around to play. We have a friend that is here occasionally and he likes to play but he won't be back till late March.
SO...I was thinking of getting DH a netbook to play these games on. I have seen some online games. But would a netbook work? I am thinking Netbook because he doesn't need a full on laptop plus it would be easier for him to handle and take places.Plus it has a LID to cover up with. Any thoughts or advice anyone?
BTW I am looking for something not very expensive but a good buy.

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 1:01 AM

ive had a few netbooks - all cost less than 300.00 and work great 4 what i use them 4.

because the screen is small i might test out the games he plays to make sure the whole hand of cards fits on one screen.. i find i used "f11" lots on the netbooks.

------
Quilting up a storm!

craftinginmycave2
star
craftinginmycave2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 11/23/09
PR Weekend Chicago Organizer
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 1:10 AM

Have you thought about a tablet e.g., iPad or Galaxy? If it's to play games and surf the Internet, you might be better with a tablet. You can get a keyboard to use with a tablet if you want to type a lot. check HSN; they have a convertible tablet/net book.

------
http://asgchicago.wordpress.com

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 1:41 AM

I thought a netbook would be best because my DH is an electronics killer. So the lid on a netbook would be good. I will have to ask someone I know if they are bringing their netbook to where I work soon, so I can see if the games will fit on it.

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/11/12 2:14 AM

A netbook isn't going to be any more durable than a tablet- in fact, the hinge might make it worse, because they are less stable than something flat.

If he's probably going to drop it, he'll kill any of them, and at least they make Otterboxes for tablets.

On the other hand, if he's going to use it to play rummy/card games, why not just get him a rummy game? He can break a lifetime of those for the cost of one netbook.

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 2:21 AM

You can get a "case" for a tablet that has a bit that goes over the screen, making it as durable as a netbook, or perhaps even more so.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 11:45 AM

My SIL and BIL play cribbage on their IPhones with each other, and I recently saw a guy with a tablet on the plane playing Boggle. Our little netbook purchased from Dell in 2009 for websurfing and light tasks is still going strong. We got it during one of those daily deals events and purchased it for $200. The battery has definitely decreased capacity over the years but that's expected. I don't play computer games so I can't attest to that factor but I love our little netbook.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 1:17 PM

ive tossed all 4 of the ones ive had in bags with books - brought them everywhere and theyve lasted fine.

inside parts have broken, they last me about a year. this one is ready to die as a matter of fact.

------
Quilting up a storm!

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 3:44 PM

I have a question, can you download embird to a netbook? The small size of them would take up so little room next to my Brother.

gabrielle

gabrielle
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 3/27/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 3:57 PM

My sister has a Sony netbook that is fantastic. I think the model name is Viao or similar. I like it because it is extremely well-built and sturdy with an excellent HD screen. The keyboard is also quite comfortable. In contrast, the HP netbook we bought recently for the kids seems quite flimsy.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Netbooks? Info Needed..

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Candice

Candice

Buy Now
Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2011-131

photo
by: inkstain

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.