SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > tablet makers leaving embroiders out in the cold ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
tablet makers leaving embroiders out in the cold
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 1:50 PM

Now that tablets and e-readers have gotten so popular I find myself really wanting a Kindle Fire. The one thing that is stopping beside lack of disposable income right now is the fact I can't store data on it. Data as in the form of embroidery designs and the programs that see them(as far as I know you can't add programs to these devices). I know we are a small minority. However having the ability to put designs on a tablet device would work so well for us. Especially those of us that don't have a computer in the same room as embroidery machine or no access to a computer etc. I could pay $200 for a Kindle or another $150 and get a laptop. Sure I can store all the movies, music etc on it but it's a lot bulkier. I guess would need a app of some kind. If it's even possible because I think these devices really have no operating system just a browser. Also I know the Kindle only supports certain file types. Or at this point a device all our own just to download (wifi browser hook in with your current wireless or you could go to any library, cafe etc), see and edit and store designs and would hook up to any embroidery machine a universal device that would make the computer un-neccessary to embroider. I would think it could be done and if people are paying 12K for a machine what a hundred dollars.
-- Edited on 1/11/12 1:52 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 2:11 PM

Well, first of all, every device (eReader, tablet, laptop, computer) ALL have an operating system on it. Even embroidery machines and computerized sewing machines. They all have operating systems. The "OS" as you call it. You simply cannot run a device without an OS. In fact, you need the operating system to run a browser.

That said, it is what the OS allows to be run that makes a difference. eReaders, like the Kindle, are task specific devices. They are meant to read digital content with the screen simulating paper. That's why it's a "black and white" screen. (It is actually a specialized screen because the device is specialized and task specific, and is meant to have the readability of paper.

Okay, real quick side note: I have the original Barnes and Noble nook. I preferred that over the Kindle because it had more of an open architecture regarding getting reading material on the device over the Kindle. Basically, when you hook it up to a computer via the USB cable, it is essentially a USB storage device. When I was looking into eReaders, none of the Kindle models could do that as far as I know. Keep this mind.

What ends up happening is that either the embroidery machine, or the device being connected to the embrodery machine, needs to be able to be a "host usb." i.e. they could read the device and access it like a drive. I know there are some embroidery machines out there that do this.

Now. Tablet makers aren't necessarily leaving embroiderers "out in the cold." It's the embroidery software developers that need to start porting their software and making tablet versions available. Consider that tablets may not have the necessary computing power that would be required to edit embroidery data files. A laptop, even a small one (that will have an OS and allow you to install applications) is probably more what you would need.

Here's another thing to keep in mind with tablets. Like computers, tablets have one of 3 major operating systems: apple's system, Android, and Windows. The embroidery software developer would either have to develop for all 3, or pick one and market to that.

I'm not an embroiderer. I'm interested, sure, but I don't even have a machine. I can only talk about things from a technical side (I am a software developer.)

The thing to do would be to email the embroidery software company and ask them when, or if, they will be making a tablet version available and which tablet OS. If more embroiderers did this, the software company would see that there was a demand for it.

Right now, the best I can suggest is to use a USB if your machine can take one, or get a small laptop if your machine only has a usb cable connection.

For the record, I completely agree with you, for $12k for an embroidery machine () you'd think there would be other gadgets available. Yes, it is technologically possible, just bear in mind that hardware/software developers may not see a big enough market to make it worth while.
-- Edited on 1/11/12 2:12 PM --

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/11/12 2:27 PM

Thanks for the info on the Nook. I know you can also have a card for that that isn't available on the Kindle Fire, one of the main differences in the devices. The one thing crucial for embroiders to be able to download designs etc. I'm sure in time the tablets will be able to do more and more and will replace the laptop with the exception of screen size as no want to carry around a 8 by 11 tablet kind of defeats the purpose. I would think at one point in time they will make them so they can easily run the regular windows/mac operation systems and you will be able to add programs and soft data files or more in the cloud storage will be available. It will be interesting to see where the next generation of these devices takes us. Hopefully down in price is one of them.

------

biochemistress

biochemistress  Friend of PR
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 4:16 PM

I think the tablets/ereaders are still primarily for emai/web/reading. They don't have the ability to run most of the creative programs I use most; in part it's the processor, the other part to consider is graphics card. My hubby (programmer/engineer/general computer geek) recently looked into building my my own computer for all my artsy programs (Corel Draw, Painter, Paint Shop, various digitizing programs, card and scrapbooking software). He said it would be better with a graphics card geared toward those users, and before we knew it, he had built a $2000 workstation! I would love to see the capabilities expand in the smaller devices, but I wouldn't expect lower prices if that happened.

I actually have an Asus transformer, and use it 99% of the time with the keyboard attached. Typing notes on the internet with only a screen would drive me nuts! I'm not convinced that people can really use the internet effectively without a keyboard. My point is, if you'd like an ereader, you have to accept their limitations. I'm not sure what happened to netbooks, but they were where it was at for me as far as portable computing.

DOGLOVER389
DOGLOVER389
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/11/12
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 4:22 PM

Hi,

I'm new here, but if a laptop is too "bulky," perhaps a netbook would be better. The netbooks look like laptops that have spent too much time in the dryer.

Unlike laptops they do not have a conventional hard drive. The storage in them is like the chip in a flash drive.

But they are small, light and very portable.

Just a thought.

DogLover389

------
Cut my teeth on a Kenmore 117.58

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/PictPage/1922064294.html

Singer Merritt 9612

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to DOGLOVER389

Date: 1/11/12 4:40 PM

A laptop or regular computer works fine for embroidery. I was just saying it would be nice to use a tablet for embroidery designs etc. I mean look at the ipod. That would be a good example. Only for embroidery. The storage on that is enough. You can send data both ways. I think it's possible but we won't see it . Unless a computer geek has a wife that embroiders and can make something for her.

------

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 4:40 PM

I have a desktop that is on the other side of the house from my embroideiry machine so I am getting up going accross the house downloading designs and editing them on the computer download to a USB storage device going back accross the house plugging it into my machine and then I am good to go, except if I don't have the right thread color by number, My screen is mono. So have the design up on the laptop on the other sided of the house and check the color I should have in it go back find one close now I can emboider.
So you say I need a full size laptop to run embird? They have one for $399 at Sams I was thinking of a netbook though and a tablet would be wonderful.

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 7:15 PM

Okay. I'm a techie so.. I gotta post. :)

A tablet is actually a distinct device from an eReader. Those are more like portable flat computers with touch screens. (In fact, I recently heard that touch screens for computers are on the near horizon. yay!)

There are tablets that run the Android operating system, the windows 7 system, and the iPad. These devices do allow you to put apps on them. So a tablet is a more viable solution for this situation.

In fact! I was thinking of some sort of tablet / small embrodery machine combo. I've been briefly considering the Brother SE400. it does not have a port to plug a USB thumb drive, but it does, however, have a cable to hook up to a computer. I have wondered if a tablet running Windows 7 would allow me to hook up the SE400. I just have not yet done the enough research to see if it'll presently work. The possibility is, and should be, there. I need to research if the tablet version of windows could even run an embroidery application.

I say I haven't researched it enough because I am not yet in a financial position to purchase these two items. But I believe it to be possible.

Disclaimer: I am a .Net software developer so I am partial to Windows 7 OS. It's my money maker, so trust me, I SHAKE IT!

------

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/11/12 7:16 PM

Quote: Sewwolf
A laptop or regular computer works fine for embroidery. I was just saying it would be nice to use a tablet for embroidery designs etc. I mean look at the ipod. That would be a good example. Only for embroidery. The storage on that is enough. You can send data both ways. I think it's possible but we won't see it . Unless a computer geek has a wife that embroiders and can make something for her.

OR!

A geek like me IS the one who is interested in embroidery!

You know.. I think that would be an interesting application to write....

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 7:17 PM

Yeah Ally you need a laptop for Embird.I know what you mean about running back and forth. I had a computer in my sewing room and my husbands went up so downstairs it came and then my daughters laptop went up so now we are all sharing. But they mostly use the internet. I really miss the computer in my sewing room as I would watch tv on it while I sewed then that really took off and now no computer in there.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> tablet makers leaving embroiders out in the cold

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.