SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Dropped $430 on Modcloth and sent it all back ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dropped $430 on Modcloth and sent it all back
junk
birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 7:12 PM

Simply griping here, nothing more. I am disgusted. I haven't bought clothing in a store in ages and the last pair of jeans I bought was 5 years ago so I'm on a mission to find some clothing that I don't have to make.
My husband and I braved the post-holiday crowds at King of Prussia two weeks ago thinking we'd find tons of bargains. Wrong. I went into Neiman Marcus - just to look - and saw a rack of dresses I liked. Sort of mod style with a 60s print. Polyester knit. Serged together. Something any one of us on PR could throw together in 2 hours. $460!!! And MADE IN CHINA! Seriously?! Where do these people get off charging those prices with a straight face???? We left, having bought nothing but a loaf pan from one of the kitchen stores.
Last weekend I ordered a load of stuff from modcloth.com. Most of it is too young for me, but I found 8 shirts and sweaters and ordered them, ranging in price from $30 to $89. It arrived yesterday and I was so disgusted by the time I was done examining everything, I just threw it all back in the box and returned everything. Most of it was made from knit fabric that was so threadbare as if to be almost sheer. I can't imagine being able to wear any of it more than a few times before it looks worn or has runs in it. Horrible, embarrassing quality. If the tops had cost $15, fine, but they were much more than that.
What i don't understand is who settles for this stuff? Who pays that kind of money for trash like that? I just don't understand how people can be satisfied with getting that type of poor workmanship for their hard-earned money.

-- Edited on 1/11/12 7:12 PM --

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 7:56 PM

I have been complaining about this on another thread.
Even in the upscale stores the t-shirts are made from crappy paper thin fabric.
Another question... who's wearing this stuff? I haven't seen anyone my age who'd dare to wear it.
Totally baffled here.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 8:14 PM

We live in a Walmart world and people are used to paying for and wearing crap. JMHO.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 8:34 PM

Yup, came back from browsing at the store today and was completely disappointed in the selection, fabric, and construction. I think most people just don't know any better. And those who do, sew!!! It might also be a trend with knitwear, those sheer/gauzy knit fabrics were all over the place last year at the giant fabric market in S. Korea (where a lot of the RTW industry goes for textile production/fulfillment).

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 1/11/12 8:58 PM

Quote: solosmocker
We live in a Walmart world and people are used to paying for and wearing crap. JMHO.

That may just be your opinion (isn't that what INMHO means?) but you are absolutely correct. Like food, Hollywood and everything else, it's all about quantity instead of quality.
Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to minggiddylooloo

Date: 1/11/12 8:58 PM

It seems to be a rather general phenomenon. This fall I was in France for a couple of months, and whereas I am usually tempted out of my mind by their modestly-priced RTW, I found nothing--nothing!--this time that called to me.

The selection in every line in the big stores was much reduced both in quantity and quality, and the (expensive) innovative qualities that I so admired were simply gone.

-- Edited on 1/11/12 8:59 PM --

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 8:59 PM

I am in the basement sewing room right now copying one of the shirts I got. I really liked it but the quality was disgraceful. Mine will cost <20 bucks and last a lifetime.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 11:25 PM

we live not in a walmart world but a throw away world. Everything that is made now days last only 1month to two months. The people that sew this stuff probley think the same way. Cheep fabric. the workmendship isn't the problem. Its the fabric. I know and see it in the dept store where i work.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 11:49 PM

Yes it's a motto of charge more and give less. RTW pants generally don't fit correctly cause they won't cut them correctly because it would take too much fabric.
The tees are disgustingly thin. My DD has to layer them one atop the other they are so thin and well, thin. An extra large is made to fit a stick person.
It's why I don't shop either, and really need to make me some clothes.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Imaan
star
Imaan
Advanced Beginner
New South Wales Australia
Member since 6/3/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/12 11:52 PM

The mentality is totally disposable...I have friends shrugging and saying, use it a few times then throw away and replace...as long as they don't have to pay too much for it of course.

I think it's sad...

------
Imaan in Sydney, NSW.

The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavourable. Favourable conditions never come.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Dropped $430 on Modcloth and sent it all back

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-119

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

More Info
Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

More Info
Vogue Patterns 1342

photo
by: ClioBklyn

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.