Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > To knob or not to knob... ? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
To knob or not to knob... ?
Juki MO734DE or 654DE
Snoo

Snoo
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 5/2/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/12/12 11:18 AM

I am trying to decide which of these sergers to buy. I know each of them has very satisfied owners.
I looked at the Bernina1150 this week at my Bernina dealer's and it was sale priced at $1200. I can get the Juki 734 for almost half of that on line and it has almost all the same features - even the edge loop adjusting knob). However, even though I have used a serger (for overcasting only), I am wondering if this machine would be overwhelming without lessons ? The inside of this machine (lower looper threading) with its channels looks very strange ! One review on PR gave me the feeling that it had so many "helps" on it that it could keep you from seeing the forest from the trees.

I have also looked at the Juki 654DE and it gets even "rave-er" reviews. It is also about $200 cheaper and comes with a full set of feet, thread, etc.

I guess I'm trying to decide if the knobs would be a pain. Someone said that fabric catches on them and thread is easily pulled from them. The Juki site seems to perfer them, however. Also, how well do the videos that come with these machines explain the threading and techniques ? I don't even have one Juki dealer in my state.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these machines ?

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/1/07

In reply to Snoo

Date: 1/12/12 11:34 AM

My original serger was a Bernette 335. When I wanted a new one that I could afford & was easier to thread, I got the Juki 654DE & have not regretted it. I did buy the workbook too. I think it is much easier to thread than my Bernette as there is a small tab to bring the lower looper forward for threading.

Snoo

Snoo
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 5/2/08

Date: 1/12/12 2:50 PM

Julia, have you ever done a rolled hem with your machine on sheer or very light-weight fabric ?

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/1/07

In reply to Snoo

Date: 1/12/12 4:19 PM

I have on practicing but I don't normally do them. You just move the little lever to pull the finger back & adjust the stitches I believe. Very easy.

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06

In reply to Snoo

Date: 1/12/12 4:30 PM

I have the Juki and it is a fabulous machine. The knobs cause no problem. It is easy to thread; I always completely remove all threads when I make a change rather than pull the threads through.

I have made rolled hems and worked on sheer fabrics with no problem. In fact I am about to mend a friends chiffon ball gown which she ripped by getting it caught by her high heels.

I have also experimented with the blind hem foot but didn't find that as satisfactory as doing.

I debated about getting and evolve self threading serger but decided on this one and haven't regretted it.

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

mkhpaintsew
mkhpaintsew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IN USA
Member since 4/5/06
online now

Date: 1/12/12 4:48 PM

I have the Juki 734. I really like it. I can't speak for the knobbed version. It's so much easier to thread than the Huskylock was that I used to have. I makes a great overlock. I've not done much rolled hem with it. I did some on a netting and it did a pretty good job at that. The netting itself was a little hard though, but I think it was just the fabric, not the machine. I was a little put off by the the thread catching on the knobs comment myself. I went with the 734, and am not sorry.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/24/02

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 1/12/12 7:11 PM

I have the 654DE and LOVE it. I use it almost as much as my sewing machine. I'm a puller through threader myself, but the directions right on the inside of the door make it easy to do. Also, there is a lever inside that allows the tricky part to come out into view for threading. I didn't get any lessons with my machine and haven't had any problems in all the years I've had it. Oh, except the ones I've created by sewing over pins. The knives were never the same until I replaced them.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

Allegro
Allegro
Member since 5/12/10

Date: 1/16/13 9:53 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! I've also gone back and forth in my own mind on this debate. I've read so many positive posts about the 654 and how easy it is to thread, some even saying they liked their Juki sergers better than Baby Lock air threaders they had previously owned, but I also saw the comments about the exposed thread being caught on fabric. I love the idea of having a built in trim catcher that comes with the 734, but then wonder if it's worth the extra money! Just from looking online, it seems that the 734 would be easier to thread than the 654, with the lay in thread guides. Sadly, there are no Juki dealers near me.

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/1/07

In reply to Allegro <<

Date: 1/16/13 1:33 PM

Mine came with a great CD to watch the threading on the computer. Very easy to use.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/17/10

Date: 1/16/13 2:01 PM

I have the 734, and it does not have the edge loop adjusting knob as you mentioned. It has a micro safety switch which keeps the motor from going on when the door is open. Most newer sergers have that. Some people market the machine to make you think it is the same feature as the Bernina. Not nice! I am well satisfied with my machine and have had knob and lay in tension machines. I prefer the lay in because it is cleaner and out of the way. The knobs are right in the front and exposed and can get linty. I tie on to change threads and think the machine is a breeze to thread the other way too. It has a needle threader which I don't normally think is necessary, but it is hard for your fingers to get at the needles because of the shield that protects your hand from I don't know what. I use the threader but you have to get the hang of it. As for the trim catcher, I have a fabric one that I hook to the machine because I serge so much, but it's nice not to have trim drop to the floor or in your lap.

Regarding rolled hem on sheers, I do this all the time. The three thread works well, but I think the 2 thread rolled hem is beautiful on sheers. You have to monkey with tensions, foot pressure, stitch length and width sometimes. Just about every fabric has its preferences. Once you find the right settings, make a sample, record them and serge.

Regarding dealer support, that's a tough one. The manual is not the greatest, Juki site is not the greatest, though they seem to be improving.The wealth of knowledge is on this site and there are many helpful people who can walk you through things. I don't know about the dvd but there are Youtube videos on the Bernina that are helpful. I downloaded the Juki manual and just about memorized it before I got my machine online. That made it more familiar to me.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> To knob or not to knob... ?

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Creations by Michie 132
photo
Review by TheProfess... on 1/16/12
Read Review

Salme Gathered Top Digital Pattern
Salme Gathered Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Apple-Picking Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)
Oliver + S Apple-Picking Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2965
photo
Review by wreninrome on 6/27/09
Read Review

Purse-Nickities
Purse-Nickities

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Christine Jonson Straight Shirt
Christine Jonson Straight Shirt

Details
Price: $18.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6944 Pattern( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )
New Look 6944 Pattern( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8790 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
Vogue 8790 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN