SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Would you consider having a beloved pet cloned? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Would you consider having a beloved pet cloned?
If money were no object, cloning your pet?
Tall Mary

Tall Mary
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 12/7/04
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 11:24 AM

On TLC last night I watched a show which showed several people who had paid $50,000 per cloning procedure to have deceased pets replicated. I started thinking about how much I missed my one and only pet mini-poodle who passed away in Sept. 2011 and whether I would consider the cloning idea. My hubby said that he would. What do you think about having it done if you could afford it?
Kathy

------
Sewing and reading about sewing are daily pleasures.
I hope to use up lots of stash in 2013.
2011-Sewing from Stash-SABLE

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 11:34 AM

No. It's absurd and selfish, especially when between 3 and 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in the United States simply because too many people give up their pets and too few people adopt from shelters.
The last thing this planet needs is another dog when they are being discarded by the millions.

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 11:36 AM

No. Unless of course, it died right on the verge of finding a cure for cancer.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Tall Mary

Date: 1/12/12 11:47 AM

I watched this also last night as I just lost my dog a week ago. I can understand the grief these people had. And the desire for have your pet back again. BUT you aren't getting your same pet back just a physical copy of them not a mental one as they are shaped as we are by our experiences. It was a little creepy how the cloned pets seemed to "know" their owners. But it's rather scary where all this could lead. And there are millions of animals that need homes. And upsets the balance of nature. But honestly if I had a spare $50K laying last week I definitely would have thought of it. I still miss my dog terribly and will for some time. But she's where she is supposed to be. This is all about the owners no thought given to the pets. We know nothing of he afterlife as we aren't supposed to and we shouldn't play God.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 12:11 PM

I wouldn't, and I wouldn't try to clone a beloved person either no much I was hurting because of their death. Aren't we all unique and worthy of being loved and remembered for our uniqueness? If copy-cats ran around, we'd become mass merchandise, easily disposed of, easily replaced--never cherished.

I am sorry for your loss.

Claudia

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

In reply to Tall Mary

Date: 1/12/12 12:16 PM

No, I wouldn't. As someone said, it's a body cloned, not the personality.

AliceM
star
AliceM
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/30/05
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 12:24 PM

Each pet is unique. We have had many cats and one wonderful dog. If the original pet was cloned we would have missed out on all of the other ones we've had through the years.
Every animal we have had has been very special even though their personalities were different and all of them have come from shelters or just showed up at the door and adopted us.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 12:28 PM

No but I might clone myself, think of all the sewing I could get done while my other self deals with everything else! :)

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

pfaffkj

pfaffkj
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 7/28/05
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 12:34 PM

I wouldn't either. I didn't see the show last night, but saw a teaser segment on Good Morning America yesterday morning. I understand the grief of losing a beloved pet. I'd love to have that pup-girl back with me, but that is just not how things work in this world.

After we recovered from our much-loved girl passing, we got another dog -- Bubba is so very different from Brandy. And I love him just as dearly. One thought that flitted through my brain while watching the TV segment was how much I would have missed by 'replacing' Brandy -- I would have never known the joy that is purely Bubba!

------
Karen

Yards in stash: I don't want to know!
2013 yards sewn: 1
2013 yards bought: 5

Deb Fox
star
Deb Fox
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 8/26/05
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 12:52 PM

I would not have my sweet Ginger cloned, but I would definitely invest that kind of money into a way to keep her alive and healthy for a long, long time. She's 10 or 11 now, and is just starting to show a few signs of middle age. I told her the other day that it is not fair that she will not be with me the rest of my life. She will be my last dog, though. I know I could not go through the emotional hell of losing more than one....

------
Deb: www.thinkingcouture.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Would you consider having a beloved pet cloned?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

New Look 6697

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.