SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sew Alongs > The Year of Pants Challenge ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The Year of Pants Challenge
who will join me?
BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/12/12 10:15 PM

I've decided to challenge myself with "the year of pants". Sewing pants is not really hard - it's getting them to fit that's hard. Really hard But, finding RTW pants that fit is really hard too! I would rather sew skirts, but I need to sew pants as I wear pants much more often. I've made quite a few pair of pants, but only been happy with a few of those.

So, this year, I'm working on pants. I hope to average a pair a month. I've never tried making jeans, but I want to give it a try. I want to make other types too.

Anyone else want to join me?

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400

Date: 1/12/12 10:39 PM

That might be something to do. we have a jean contest going on and a jean sew along. Why not a any kind of pants sew along.
count me in. I might get one or two in not one pair a month. I'm just too busy sewing for other people right now. I did visit the fabric store and bought two patterns. They are pants.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Raye Ann
star
Raye Ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/25/09
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 10:48 PM

This seems like a great idea, but I am not sure if I can make pants that fit, either. I decided to join the Jeans contest, as I really, really wanted to try jeans. My Jalie pattern and designer denim had been languishing in stash for too long.
I discovered that jeans are not hard! Denim is awesome to work with, and the sewing is not fiddly. For me, the Jalie pattern has worked very well and was fairly easy to follow.
I am still afraid of pants! Unless they are yoga pants;). The only pair of fitted trouser I have tired were from the " Amazing Fit" patterns and they were a hot mess.
Hmmmm....I'm going to research the reviews for that Jalie trouser pattern:D.
What the of pants are you starting with?

------
Raye Ann

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 1/12/12 11:10 PM

I may join the jeans sew along. I have the Jalie jeans pattern & denim. I recently got this book & really like it. Right now, I'm reading the section on pants. I think I will try making a test pair using her guidelines. The best pants patterns I've ever used are BWOF. They are the only ones that even come close to fitting.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/13/12 0:40 AM

I won't go so far as to say I will make any amount per month but if I can get one or two patterns to fit me well this year my year will have been well spent. Like BJ1400 I have steered off them for a while because my last few paris were a dog's breakfast, not for the sewing but for the cut and lack of fit, And lack of pants fitting skill I had. That is something I would like to work on this year and just bite the bullet.
I am now in possession of a couple of different books on fitting which includes stuff on fitting pants...so maybe its time to tentatively dip my toes back into the pants territory and try again. The last few times were so demoralising I just chose to sew tops and skirts instead, lol!!

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400

Date: 1/13/12 1:35 AM

I can sew along with you for a little while but will be traveling in Feb through April. I plan to make another pair of Clovers (Colette Patterns) before we leave.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/13/12 7:22 AM

I've been working on pants for about a year. I think I need a second year to get them just right. I've already learned so much and have lots of pants that look great from the front (I love the dogs breakfast comment) but oddly baggy in the back.

I will warn all of you. You may learn more than you ever wanted to know about your backside and crotch before this adventure ends. I compare my derriere to two sacks of pudding.

I ordered 5 fitting books from the library this week and purchased the photo fitting guide that was mentioned earlier. I've been studying and contemplating my next move while I wait for the weekend.

I'm up for this pants challenge. Maybe we'll get lucky and some of us will have the same fitting issues so we won't all have to invent individual solutions.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 1/13/12 9:03 AM

I'm in, although I'm not sure I can do the one pair per month.

I've made the Jalie jeans - a wearable muslin that could become a favorite - and want to really make some nice pairs of jeans.

As well, I'd really like to work through some of my other pants patterns to get something that fits better than just *OK* but not great. I could really use some nice pants!

My goal by year's end is to have several pairs of pants that fit and some go-to patterns for making some more!

------
Liz

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to GoSewGirl
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/13/12 10:12 AM

Quote: GoSewGirl
My goal by year's end is to have several pairs of pants that fit and some go-to patterns for making some more!

Yes, this is what I want too! I've got my Jalie pattern out to trace off today.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400

Date: 1/13/12 10:17 AM

I will chime in since that's one of my goals: having pants including jeans with a great fit from all perspectives!

Once per month is out of reach for me but a TNT, 3 pair of pants, 2 pair of jeans would make me do a happy dance!

Have you picked already a pattern to start with?

PS: Barb, I know exactly what you mean by learning more than you ever wanted about one's own body shape in certain areas ...

------
Happy Sewing!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> The Year of Pants Challenge

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Vogue Patterns 8409

photo
by: mkruszewsk...

Review
Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.