SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Free motion quilting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Free motion quilting
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 1/14/12 6:52 AM

free motion quilting blog

i found this from a you tube video. Seems interesting. I like her voice and how she explains things. My free motion quiling sucks and still not sure it is a matter of practice or you need some natural drawing ability. she makes it look so easy, all of the free motion experts do. She does give some very good hints and also have a store. I liked the fact she uses a very simple machine to free motion. Check it out.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 1/14/12 7:14 AM

I love Leah Day!!! I would also recommend the Quilt Halo, the Supreme Slider and the Machingers to make FMQ a lot easier where you have more control of your fabric.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to fabrictherapy

Date: 1/14/12 8:54 AM

The SewSlip 2 is 12 x 18 and costs a lot less than the Supreme Slider. You can get it on eBay for $19.99 plus shipping.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/14/12 10:05 AM

Thank you so much! I found out about her recently. I have FMQ on my list of things to learn this year. I took a class with Sue Nickels..(WOW) and she says to practice a bit everyday...as it is NOT an art but a skill. Her Successful Machine Quilting DVD and her book Machine Quilting are excellent. My decor does not go well with quilts but it does with applique. I am going to go that route. I also think just FMQ is lovely on all kinds of things...from place mats to tablecloths to bedspreads. See link in the next post...I was having trouble...grrrr

-- Edited on 1/14/12 10:28 AM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/14/12 10:24 AM

I'll try again...link

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/14/12 10:25 AM

Well that worked just fine...mystery...HAL is at it again.

------

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 1/14/12 11:09 AM

Thank you for that link! I am learning FMQ...mainly meandering at this time. I love to make machine embroideries into quilted wall hangings. I am interested in learning applique as well. I'll put Sue's DVD and books on my wish list for this year! How long is the DVD?
-- Edited on 1/14/12 11:39 AM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/14/12 4:52 PM

It is a matter of practice. I am attempting to learn now. I have little drawing ability and have taken all my lines from patterns which I traced onto the fabric.

Practice is the key. And I found a book by Don Linn "Free-Motion Machine Quilting" which I read cover to cover. It helped and so did "Heirloom Machine Quilting" by Harriet Hargrave. Someone here recommended that one and it is a treasure.

Never fear, it is only a matter of applying the technique and practice.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/14/12 6:09 PM

If you search Leah Day here in messages, you will get many threads, mine about sewing tables and Leah's use of the Gidget table included!She is now making a quilt from her 365 day binge of designs. :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Peggy
star
Peggy
Advanced Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 10/8/02
Send Message

Date: 1/14/12 8:34 PM

Thanks for the link to the free motion quilt along. It looks like some great information is there.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Free motion quilting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Keyka Lou Zip Clutches

photo
by: pajamapart...

Review
McCall's 6559

photo
by: Stacie Thi...

Review

Pattern

SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

More Info
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.