SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > I'm always looking at the fit of clothing and body types ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I'm always looking at the fit of clothing and body types
and noticed this in the grocery line...
MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/17/12 8:02 AM

Is this the extreme of forward shoulder or is it just positioning?

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 1/17/12 8:08 AM

lol! I don't know, but these young things ARE the texting generation.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 1/17/12 9:31 AM

Isn't it funny how you look at people and how their clothes fit? I never did that before I started sewing a couple years ago.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 1/17/12 10:07 AM

My theory is that models do these odd postures to give some impression of body shape, since they have removed theirs by being so skinny. The photographer is naturally looking for some light and shade, which for most of us is created by natural curves.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb

Date: 1/17/12 10:21 AM

Ouch, that actually looks painful
I was watching Antiques Roadshow last night and the camera was aimed on the backside of a woman. Her pants were doing a major wedgie and the inseams were crawling where no inseam should go I also find myself watching news anchors. Sometimes the men are a real hoot. I ask my husband..."who dressed that man"!??? They will mix stripes and checks with almost anything. I'll never forget when my oldest son started picking out his clothes to wear for the day(3 or 4 years old)...one day he came out with a red shirt and red pants..."but Mama, it's red".

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 8/8/07
Send Message

Date: 1/17/12 11:56 AM

I can't watch SportsCenter. I have no idea who dresses the football commentators, but they clearly have no clue about what colors and patterns go together. While DH is listening to blah blah football talk, I'm utterly distracted by how that pocket square doesn't go with the tie or the shirt and how the overall color just washes out the commentator. Silly what our eyes get trained to watch!

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Im always looking at the fit of clothing and body types Date: 1/17/12 12:19 PM

And what about the women on the Weather Channel? I just want to tell them, wear the next size up ~ it won't look like you are bursting the seams...

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews

Date: 1/17/12 12:30 PM

And it's not just the Weather Channel either!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb

Date: 1/17/12 1:14 PM

The model looks like a lovely young woman with a perfectly normal body. I think the "extreme forward shoulder" is an illusion created by the photographer's lighting and posing directions.

Notice that the model's upper arm is extended backward, her elbow bent and her wrist extended upward. Try doing that yourself, and you'll see it's not a normal or comfortable position for anyone to hold. You'll also notice that your shoulder juts forward, regardless of how much padding you have.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Elizabeth made this

Date: 1/17/12 2:52 PM

Don Cherry Fashion

I think Don Cherry has the biggest fashion statement of a sports commentator.

Fabric Shopping with Don Cherry

The jackets may be wild, but they do fit well.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> I'm always looking at the fit of clothing and body types

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1086

photo
by: julliams

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

More Info
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.