SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > February Challenge - Menswear - Official Thread ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
February Challenge - Menswear - Official Thread
February 1 -15
mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 1:54 PM

Hi everyone!

I'll be the contest moderator for the February Menswear Challenge.

I must admit that I have only made a very few men's garments in my 40 years of sewing. But the guys deserve great fitting, great looking clothes too! So if you've never made menswear, the February Challenge is here to give you a great excuse to try. And if you sew menswear regularly, here's your chance to show us your stuff!

Below are the links and rules for the challenge. Please post any questions and I'll do my best to get them answered quickly!
Enter your item
Photo gallery

Get a Badge

-------------------------------------------------------------
Menswear Sewing Challenge
Start Date: Feb. 1
End Date: Feb 15

Do you love to sew for a special man? You will love the Challenge we are offering this month- just in time for Valentines Day!!
The Sewing Challenge for February 2012 is Menswear. Sew a pair of pants, a tee shirt or a dress shirt for that special guy in your life. Your boyfriend, your husband, your dad or the guy next door- it doesn't matter who it is for as long as he's an adult male (and will pose for a photo!)
The contest runs from February 1st to 15. Read the rules below to ensure that you adhere by the guidelines.

Rules

1. Sew an article of clothing for a man. Clothing only please- no accessories. For the purpose of this challenge, clothing includes pants, tees, shirts, briefs, vests, and coats. A tie, for example is an accessory and would not qualify for this contest.
2. This is a Menswear Challenge. Please no infant, toddler or children's clothing. As a guideline, the 'man' being sewn for should be over the age of 18. Use your discretion. If you would enter the garment in a Sewing for Children contest, it doesn't belong here!
3. Write a review of the garment. Remember the reviews are read by the voters and detail counts!
4. Include at least one photo in the review. It may feel like pulling teeth to get that guy to pose, but try your best!

And the rest of the usual rules also apply here:

Prizes
The 1st and 2nd place winners will be decided by member vote.

First Prize:
Threads Archive DVD

Second Prize
Fitting DVD Set

Standard Contest Rules

1. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.

2. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!

3. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.

Contest Eligibility

1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.

2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.

3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).

Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.

You may choose to assign a point value to each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your choices.

1. How well does the garment/collection/ensemble/item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?

2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?

3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?

4. Is the review complete and well written?

5. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?

6. Creative points. You may choose to give credit here for extras including embellishment, creative interpretation of patterns, creativity in creating a pattern, or even for having the restraint to leave something strikingly simple.

7. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.
-- Edited on 1/19/12 1:56 PM --
-- Edited on 1/19/12 3:38 PM --
-- Edited on 2/6/12 6:42 PM --
-- Edited on 2/13/12 1:36 PM --

Zacky
Zacky
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 1/7/10
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 2:12 PM

Oh My. Menswear! Interesting! What could i make for myself. Looks like ima be a sewing fool this year. Im already in the Jeans contest, i like the Red Dress starting soon, now menswear! Swimwear in the near future. Wooo hoooooo!!!

------
Zacky

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 2:17 PM

Ok I am tempted. The DH has been wanting a new shirt and such. Might be worth a shot.

------
"Costume Tech's are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated except to those designers, actors, directors, playwrights, and other theater artists who depend on them." - The Costume Technicians Handbook

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 2:21 PM

OH wonderful, I always seem to be making things for DH. I just found a new jacket patern here another thread, it was OOP Burda8273. So I found it on ebay and it is on its way, so that will be perfect for the challenge.

Aroura
starstarstar
Aroura
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 7/30/09
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 3:33 PM

Hmm, I might have to give this one a go. Hubby just got back into college, and could use a few nice shirts. Or even one!

Thanks for managing this contest, and I am glad they put menswear back in this year, our poor guys get overlooked too often.

------
Sewing is more than my hobby, it is my art.
My new Blog: http://itssewcreative.blogspot.com/

ladyampton
star
ladyampton
Advanced
Member since 4/23/11
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 3:39 PM

Think I might have to enter this as the other half wants some jeans ,have made him acouple of shirts

mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 3:40 PM

I have updated the contest details to include vests as eligible garments.

Can't wait to see what you all create!

Liz

racehorse
starstarstar
racehorse  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 7/12/09
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 5:12 PM

This is very tempting. My husband had a shirt he really likes and he wants me to recreate it and make him a few. I'll have to think about this.

------
Erin in Dallas
http://amateursewist.blogspot.com/

treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

Date: 1/19/12 10:58 PM

This is very tempting! I'm in the process of drafting an overalls pattern from DH's old pair. He asked me to make them about 6 months ago but the engineering specification for the modifications gave me a bit of a fright. He was doing some welding last weekend and was making some unsubtle hints for my next sewing project.

May not be a contest winner, but I think it will be with him.

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/20/12 12:06 PM

I've recently been stocking up on patterns for DH so this will be just the contest to test them out.

------
Judy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> February Challenge - Menswear - Official Thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 605 Pattern

Petite Plus 605 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.