SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > For love of wovens ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
For love of wovens
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/21/12 5:32 PM

This may be PR's shortest thread for lack of controversy.

I love wovens, natural fiber wovens, especially cotton. I love the way they pin, I love the way they cut, I love the way they sew up. I love the way they work with my 1916 Singer that only sews forward.

I love the way they feel when you wear them. I actually LIKE ironing them. I LOVE starching them, although I once really overdid it on the dinner napkins, and it was like wiping your mouf' with a sheet of typing paper.

I love that you can throw wovens in the wash. I love that I can throw them on the floor. Convention be darned, I wear cotton all year round, scandal or no. Fall and winter, I do top things off with knitted sweaters, and I buy and live in cotton T-shirts but, except for an occasional pair of leggings, I almost never sew with knit fabrics.

The warp. The woof. The whole darn weave.

j.

-- Edited on 1/21/12 5:34 PM --

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 5:33 PM

Me too! Cotton woven fabrics are my favorite to sew & wear.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 8:19 PM

Um... I can't decide whether I want to say:

"Why are you throwing your wovens on the floor?"

or

"I throw my knits on the floor."

In my everyday life, I absolutely *live* in knits--pants and tops (ok, today I'm wearing cords, but it's laundry day)--but I've only ever sewn with wovens. I'm totally intimidated... and, also, I really only sew historical garments, so there's been no call for knits. Yet. I have some stockpiled for that giant burst of mundane (modern clothing) sewing I always think I'm going to do someday.

-- Edited on 1/21/12 8:20 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 9:20 PM

I'm tired of buying knits, whether RTW or to sew, and having them pill or stretch out of shape.

During our unending furnace of a summer last year, I kept pulling out two linen tanks to wear under blouses. They were so much cooler than cotton knit camis. I'm going to make up a bunch of bias cut linen tanks this spring to replace my knit ones, even for sleeping.

Maybe I'll be like Irene Q and have a whole clothesline full of new woven tank tops to wear by the beginning of summer.

------
Elizabeth

Seabreeeze
Seabreeeze
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/13/10
Send Message

In reply to elizajo

Date: 1/23/12 0:19 AM

Might be a silly quesition but why are you going to cut the on the bias??

I live in the tropics and have just purchased some nice linen blends fabric from them for yard dresses. The pricing was so good, that i going to make some 3/4 pants to lounge around in.. beautiful fabric.

I got my fabric from Fabric.com but I see that fabricmart.com have some lovely pieces but unfortunately their freight and non tracking facility is not good for this aussie.. Fabric.com works extremely well..

Cheers

Kerry

------
Darwin NT
Australia

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 0:28 AM

I'm another cotton woven fabric lover! I could roll in the stuff all day. Great to sew, great to wear. My absolute favourite fabric.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 0:53 AM

Just wrap me up in nice quality cotton and I'm a happy girl. Although I do love soft linen as well...
I do love my knits. I find fitting with wovens far more challenging but I love the process and feel of sewing with them, especially fine voiles. Aaaaah, feels so good under the fingers!
I was fondling some Libery Lawn very recently..felt like I'd died and gone to heaven! Now to find the right pattern for $55 plus a metre fabric....

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/12 7:15 AM

Sometimes, I swear, it's like that cotton WANTS to be sewn! For instance, I'll be turning or ironing under a 5/8" edge and it's like the fabric IS HELPING ME!

j.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 8:53 AM

Silk charmeuse... YUM. Although a little temperamental at the machine. 95% of my fabric stash are wovens, it's not that I don't like knits, the higher quality stuff is just so much more difficult to find!

The Sewing for Men contest is coming up and pajamas are allowed. Do I hear that beautiful Egyptian cotton from Fabricmart calling me to play? I can't wait to send those pieces through my shirt tail hemmer, I know they'll be obedient and do what I ask the first time around!

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

In reply to Seabreeeze
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/12 10:22 AM

I prefer tanks cut on the bias because they hang better on me. If I don't have enough fabric, I will use a pattern cut on the grain.

------
Elizabeth

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> For love of wovens

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 02-2002-40

photo
by: 21wale

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2010-138

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

Buy Now
Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.