SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > For love of wovens ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
For love of wovens
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/21/12 5:32 PM

This may be PR's shortest thread for lack of controversy.

I love wovens, natural fiber wovens, especially cotton. I love the way they pin, I love the way they cut, I love the way they sew up. I love the way they work with my 1916 Singer that only sews forward.

I love the way they feel when you wear them. I actually LIKE ironing them. I LOVE starching them, although I once really overdid it on the dinner napkins, and it was like wiping your mouf' with a sheet of typing paper.

I love that you can throw wovens in the wash. I love that I can throw them on the floor. Convention be darned, I wear cotton all year round, scandal or no. Fall and winter, I do top things off with knitted sweaters, and I buy and live in cotton T-shirts but, except for an occasional pair of leggings, I almost never sew with knit fabrics.

The warp. The woof. The whole darn weave.

j.

-- Edited on 1/21/12 5:34 PM --

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 5:33 PM

Me too! Cotton woven fabrics are my favorite to sew & wear.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 8:19 PM

Um... I can't decide whether I want to say:

"Why are you throwing your wovens on the floor?"

or

"I throw my knits on the floor."

In my everyday life, I absolutely *live* in knits--pants and tops (ok, today I'm wearing cords, but it's laundry day)--but I've only ever sewn with wovens. I'm totally intimidated... and, also, I really only sew historical garments, so there's been no call for knits. Yet. I have some stockpiled for that giant burst of mundane (modern clothing) sewing I always think I'm going to do someday.

-- Edited on 1/21/12 8:20 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 1/21/12 9:20 PM

I'm tired of buying knits, whether RTW or to sew, and having them pill or stretch out of shape.

During our unending furnace of a summer last year, I kept pulling out two linen tanks to wear under blouses. They were so much cooler than cotton knit camis. I'm going to make up a bunch of bias cut linen tanks this spring to replace my knit ones, even for sleeping.

Maybe I'll be like Irene Q and have a whole clothesline full of new woven tank tops to wear by the beginning of summer.

------
Elizabeth

Seabreeeze
Seabreeeze
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/13/10
Send Message

In reply to elizajo

Date: 1/23/12 0:19 AM

Might be a silly quesition but why are you going to cut the on the bias??

I live in the tropics and have just purchased some nice linen blends fabric from them for yard dresses. The pricing was so good, that i going to make some 3/4 pants to lounge around in.. beautiful fabric.

I got my fabric from Fabric.com but I see that fabricmart.com have some lovely pieces but unfortunately their freight and non tracking facility is not good for this aussie.. Fabric.com works extremely well..

Cheers

Kerry

------
Darwin NT
Australia

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 0:28 AM

I'm another cotton woven fabric lover! I could roll in the stuff all day. Great to sew, great to wear. My absolute favourite fabric.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 0:53 AM

Just wrap me up in nice quality cotton and I'm a happy girl. Although I do love soft linen as well...
I do love my knits. I find fitting with wovens far more challenging but I love the process and feel of sewing with them, especially fine voiles. Aaaaah, feels so good under the fingers!
I was fondling some Libery Lawn very recently..felt like I'd died and gone to heaven! Now to find the right pattern for $55 plus a metre fabric....

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/12 7:15 AM

Sometimes, I swear, it's like that cotton WANTS to be sewn! For instance, I'll be turning or ironing under a 5/8" edge and it's like the fabric IS HELPING ME!

j.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 8:53 AM

Silk charmeuse... YUM. Although a little temperamental at the machine. 95% of my fabric stash are wovens, it's not that I don't like knits, the higher quality stuff is just so much more difficult to find!

The Sewing for Men contest is coming up and pajamas are allowed. Do I hear that beautiful Egyptian cotton from Fabricmart calling me to play? I can't wait to send those pieces through my shirt tail hemmer, I know they'll be obedient and do what I ask the first time around!

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

In reply to Seabreeeze
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/12 10:22 AM

I prefer tanks cut on the bias because they hang better on me. If I don't have enough fabric, I will use a pattern cut on the grain.

------
Elizabeth

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> For love of wovens

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.