Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > How would you choose? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How would you choose?
pattern decisions
Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/21/12 11:25 PM

I have a very specific item I want to make a quilted lining for, my dog's perla bed.

I have some really adorable fabric picked out, some in my possesion and some on the way.

--

The bed is hard plastic, has an oval shape, and is just a shell. Right now I put an old quilt in it and she likes to fluff it til it's comfy for her.

I would love to hear opinions on how to choose a quilt pattern.
How crazy would you go trying to make the design fit the shape of the bed?

It has to be 2 separate peices, a smooth cover for the whole bed in general and a separate cushion for the bottom. The cushion will have a removable cover, that I plan to applique a bulldog head on. I still want some sort of quilt design around the bulldog head.

I was going to make a dresdon plate or a star, but I really LOVE the bulldog head.

I would really LOVE to hear how you guys tackle a design like this! Would you draw out the cover pattern first then make a quilt pattern that fit into it or just make a quilt with a small design then treat it like any other piece of fabric and cut the pattern out of it?
-- Edited on 1/21/12 11:27 PM
-- Edited on 1/21/12 11:29 PM --

------
Cathryn

aslinnd

aslinnd
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07

Date: 1/22/12 0:12 AM

did you want the shape of the bed to be the shape of the head or did you want to applique the dog head onto a background fabric.

I like to keep it simple - I would trace the bulldog head onto tracing paper then blow up the drawing to the size you want. make a few copies because you are going to cut one up for pattern pieces. have several smaller dogs heads or one big one what ever you want for your design.

from there is can be as complicated or as simple as you want. you can use fusible web, or make templates there are a variety of ways.

I remember years ago there was a simple quilts show with a woman who did only dog quilts I think the book was called the dog lady speaks - or something Like that. I think I still have the original sprial book with the patterns. but she just went right side of the fabric face up and sort of built the applique I think with fabric glue the stitched it down.

you've got some very cute fabric there but maybe too busy to be both the background and the applique but its a personal choice. I tend to like batiks or hand dyed for building images as variations look more natural to me but high contrast with a couple of those as background or borders may work.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 1/22/12 9:27 AM

Quote: Cat n Bull
... or just make a quilt with a small design then treat it like any other piece of fabric and cut the pattern out of it?

For an odd shape like that, I would just make a simple design (squares, or a four-patch alternated with squares) then cut out the shape, like you say as if it were flat fabric. JMO

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 1/22/12 9:39 AM

Not too much help with your pattern but uh... well the girls & I LOVE the kitty & paw print fabric... As in as my sister would say .. I mean LOVE it as in give it to us....
I really like all your choices... much fun fabrics. Are you going to use buttons on it at all for teeth area? Just thinking outloud?

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to aslinnd

Date: 1/22/12 10:41 AM

Quote: aslinnd
did you want the shape of the bed to be the shape of the head or did you want to applique the dog head onto a background fabric.

I like to keep it simple - I would trace the bulldog head onto tracing paper then blow up the drawing to the size you want. make a few copies because you are going to cut one up for pattern pieces. have several smaller dogs heads or one big one what ever you want for your design.

from there is can be as complicated or as simple as you want. you can use fusible web, or make templates there are a variety of ways.

I remember years ago there was a simple quilts show with a woman who did only dog quilts I think the book was called the dog lady speaks - or something Like that. I think I still have the original sprial book with the patterns. but she just went right side of the fabric face up and sort of built the applique I think with fabric glue the stitched it down.

you've got some very cute fabric there but maybe too busy to be both the background and the applique but its a personal choice. I tend to like batiks or hand dyed for building images as variations look more natural to me but high contrast with a couple of those as background or borders may work.

Thank you so much for your help!

I only want one bulldog head and it will be on the center of the removable cushion cover. I was planning to use the plain fabric for it, but now I am not 100% positive. I do not like the orange I got and the brown is too dark. I am waiting for one more piece of fabric to come, it is the little cirlces in a mdeium brown background. The circles are very small-I may use the light and dark for the bulldog. Then I will have to make the area around it very simple- I too think it will be too busy to have a bunch of prints like that.

I have seen some truly gorgeous and realistic looking dog quilts. Someday I WILL try it! For now I'll start with this simple-cutesy applique. I have never appliqued like this before, I have only made letters for my daugter's sorority shirts.

I tend to overdo things, I am used to making dance costumes and prom dresses that are so decorated it's very hard for me to do "simple". But I am learning that in quilting simple is a good thing!

Thanks again for your help! Any and all ideas/tips are much appreciated.

------
Cathryn

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to TessKwiltz

Date: 1/22/12 10:42 AM

That is what I am leaning towards, especially now that I've decided to put the bulldog head on the cushion cover.

I am having such a hard time making choices!

------
Cathryn

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to tgm and Kittys

Date: 1/22/12 10:47 AM

Quote: tgm and Kittys
Not too much help with your pattern but uh... well the girls & I LOVE the kitty & paw print fabric... As in as my sister would say .. I mean LOVE it as in give it to us....

I really like all your choices... much fun fabrics. Are you going to use buttons on it at all for teeth area? Just thinking outloud?

LOL! It's Moda's Max and Whiskers fabric. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

And no buttons. My dog likes to fluff her bedding and the teeth are going to be right in the center of her cushion. I don't think it would be too comfy to have buttons poking her butt

------
Cathryn

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 1/22/12 11:47 AM

Pokin in the butt hardy har har

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11

Date: 1/22/12 12:37 PM

That fabric is all adorable. Are you going to make a cushion and a blanket? If your dog likes to arrange her blankets then she will want something she can do that with. I had a full sized dachshund once who wrapped himself up in his blanket. By morning all you see was the pile of blanket-I would usually have to help him out of it. If she is like some of the bulldogs I have known, she would eat the buttons
Your dog is lucky to have you as her owner!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to Marie367

Date: 1/22/12 2:10 PM

Quote: Marie367
That fabric is all adorable. Are you going to make a cushion and a blanket? If your dog likes to arrange her blankets then she will want something she can do that with. I had a full sized dachshund once who wrapped himself up in his blanket. By morning all you see was the pile of blanket-I would usually have to help him out of it. If she is like some of the bulldogs I have known, she would eat the buttons

Your dog is lucky to have you as her owner!

You know, I was thinking of her need to fluff her bedding and just realized she will need 3 peices to her bedding. Yes she needs a blanket too!

She wouldn't eat the buttons, but if she didn't like the bedding she will refuse to go in her bed. She is SUCH a spoiled diva.

And the reason I am making hers first is because I need to practice on something who's owner won't be too critical of the mistakes. My Audrey is nice that way

I have a few projects that I really ant to do, so I decided to make hers first as a learning experience.

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> How would you choose?

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Vogue Patterns 8486 MISSES' DRESS
photo
Review by spottedroo on 5/12/09
Read Review

Oliver + S Hide and Seek Tunic (5-12) Digital Pattern
Oliver + S Hide and Seek Tunic (5-12) Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cake Patterns Bonny Knit Sailor Top Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Bonny Knit Sailor Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCall's 5822 bag in 3 sizes
photo
Review by thrillme on 12/19/09
Read Review

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $13.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Newport Tote
Newport Tote

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5585 Pattern ( Size PR-NB-SML )
Butterick 5585 Pattern ( Size PR-NB-SML )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6236 Pattern ( Size SML-XLG )
McCalls 6236 Pattern ( Size SML-XLG )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN