SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > anyone do binding this way? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
anyone do binding this way?
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 9:37 AM

I watch a Leah Day video about binding this weekend. I had thought of doing it this way but didn't figure it would work out too well but after seeing the video, on the next binding I'm trying this. She sews her binding to the wrong side and flips it over and sews it down on the right side by machine. So she can see where she's stitching. I would try and try to machine stitch bindings down only to have them wiggle out of line or be un-even and it looked like hell. I would finally rip it all out and hand sew. But hand sewing isn't an option anymore with this bone spur in my thumb. She also uses a blanket stitch to sew the binding down. Sounds pretty interesting to me and makes a lot of sense. So that's what I'm doing on my current project. Which was supposed to be a wall hanging but I think it's becoming more of a lap quilt.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

psew
star
psew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 4/19/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/23/12 10:44 AM

I just watched this binding video on BHG... I like the clear step by step explanation. Hope this works for you.

Binding

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 11:25 AM

I do it sorta like she does - I use deco stitches sometimes on the front.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/23/12 11:38 AM

If I don't plan to hand stitch the binding, I do it this way. I usually use a blanket or feather stitch on the front side. It is so much easier to get the front to look nice this way!

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 11:43 AM

Ditto what Peggy L said. I usually just use a plain old zigzag on the front. I like it and it looks purposeful and I think tidier than a straight stitch that isn't all that straight!
JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 11:52 AM

Yes, this is the way I did the binding on the receiving blanket quilt. It came out so nice I plan to do it for every quilt.

My machine has IDT, that really does help to keep things straight. Mine was such a narrow binding, it wasn't hard at all to keep it even and straight.

I'll try to get a decent picture of it.

------
Cathryn

Zacky
Zacky
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 1/7/10
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 12:05 PM

Im gonna have to remember zigzag it as a topstitch. Ive quilted 2 blankets and used a straight stitch for the binding, but it does look wonky in a lot of places, that zigzag would have been a better choice. I even used an add on walking foot and still managed to twist it. But its faster useing the sewing machine to put it all together compared to how my grandmaw and i used to do them, the machine only stitched the decrotive top together, then it was wrapped on long boards and stitched by hand the rest of the way.

------
Zacky

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/23/12 1:04 PM

I used to hand stitch but the only person who seemed to care how it looked was me. It's such a time saver to do it all by machine. I use something similar to a blanket stitch. Fast and finished, that's what I like.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/23/12 1:09 PM

If you buy double fold bias tape made by the Wrights company in those little clear plastic wrap packages at the fabric stores, they actually make that binding sort of just on purpose that way, because if you look at where they have the pre-ironed in, fold ironed into it, it's not exactly in the middle of the binding. Instead it's a bit to the side so one side of it is a bit offset and sticks out further than the other. Or at least all my older packages of it are that way. They say on the back of them, the double fold bias tape are prefolded off center on purpose to make it so the wider side gets caught under your stitching on the top of the fabric.

Most of the time, on garment kinds of things, I ignore that, and I machine sew down the top side, flip and then hand slip stitch the reverse side on things, just because I like no stitching showing a bit better, but stitch in the ditch or on top of the front of the tape, would be a lot quicker.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo

Date: 1/23/12 2:07 PM

I was talking about quilting binding. I wouldn't use package binding for a quilt.

Also as I have said I can't hand sew because of bone spur. That's why I like this method as it would probably look a lot nicer.
-- Edited on 1/23/12 2:09 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> anyone do binding this way?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Young Image Magazine SS-2013-Y1307

photo
by: squirrelly...

Review
Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.