SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > T-Shirt Quilt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
T-Shirt Quilt
shaelawnsmom
shaelawnsmom
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/10/11
Send Message

Date: 1/24/12 11:10 PM

Thank you in advance for any and all opinions or directions.

I have a stack of my daughter's old shirts. These are ones she is saving in her hope chest and they are from different places/concerts we have gone to. Once she runs away from home (aka: going off to college in Finland) I would like to make her one. Has anyone made one before? Any advise on making one? Does anyone know where I can get a pattern or directions in making one (without paying a fortune)?

Thank you!!!

Erica

edster
edster
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 2/19/10
Send Message

Date: 1/24/12 11:29 PM

There is one in Modern Log Cabin Quilting by Susan Beal. If you go to Amazon you can use the "look inside" tool to look at it if you type in the key word "t shirt."

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Log-Cabin-Quilting-Patchwork/dp/030758657X/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327465508&sr=1-8
-- Edited on 1/24/12 11:29 PM --

------
Kenmore 158.14101
Juki MO-735
Juki TL2010Q

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 1/25/12 8:10 AM

There are lots of free tutorials for these online, don't need a pattern.
I'm not a quilter, but made a couple from my sons' sports T's, which they used thru HS and college, other kids thought them cool. Extras can be made into pillows or framed.

Cut out the entire fronts and use a stabilizer on the backs BEFORE cutting up your T logos, as the various weights can change size. Lay out your T-shirt fronts on the floor and play with the design before cutting to uniform squares. Use coordinating strips of solids, prints, or bias/twill tape over the seams horizontally and vertically. These quilts can get heavy, so use a light backing. If you are lacking a piece, use a square with her name or a sports print to fill in the gap.

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom

Date: 1/26/12 1:18 AM

This is OT and if you don't want to answer that is ok, but why is your daughter going to college in Finland? I have always thought it would be wonderful to visit there and I am fascinated by the language, so I am really curious. Is this her Junior Year Abroad? Mine did hers in China at Beijing University.

------
Barb

shaelawnsmom
shaelawnsmom
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/10/11
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir

Date: 1/26/12 9:00 AM

Dear Barb,

My daughter wants to get her degree in Forensic Bio with a major in Toxicology. The university at Helsinki (probably spelled wrong) is number 1 for this program. She is currently on the dean's list as a student. She was looking at England; but, the cost is too high. So, she looked at Finland. It is only $5000.00 a year for an international student to attend and it does not matter if you are going for a BS, MS, or Phd. England would have costed $25,000.00/year. At the university in Finland, there is a program that if you learn the language, they will waive all costs to attend there. She is in touch with a few teachers there and they recommended that she learn Japanese to help her with her Finnish. Their language has alot of the Asian languages as influenced theirs. As a parent, no I don't want her to go. Too darn far away for me. But, I will live. I hope this answers your question.

Erica

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom

Date: 1/26/12 11:07 PM

That is so interesting. Finnish is not easy for Americans to learn, we are not used to cases unless we study German or Latin, and Finnish has fifteen cases, so I suppose they are willing to subsidize people who are willing to learn it. It is far, but not as far as China, really.

It will certainly be an interesting experience for her, and the nice thing is that with email, skype and cellphones we are able to keep in contact with our kids when they are overseas.

------
Barb

DreinPA
starstar
DreinPA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/5/06
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom

Date: 1/27/12 8:04 AM

I have done it. First one I used the lightest weight pellon I could find. NO.
Second one I used fusible tricot. MAYBE.
I am not convinced stabilizer is totally neccesary.

I cut each T to the biggest possible design, to the nearest even numbers: 16.5 by 20.5 gives you a 16 x 20 design. Then I just pieced the squares (rectangles what have you) with 1/4" seams. Which is not as easy as I make it sound.
I made a graph paper representation of each 'square' and laid them out till I was satisfied with the arrangement. I tried to use as few filler blocks as possible.
Here is a 'lite' tutorial of how I did the first one.
My t-quilt

Hope this helps. You can PM if you want more info.

------
Don't confuse accessibility with ease; just because anybody can pick up a needle and thread doesn't mean sewing quality garments is easy.

Welmoed Sisson
star
Welmoed Sisson
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/26/03
Send Message

Date: 1/27/12 10:21 AM

I've made a few t-shirt quilts; two for my kids and one for a paying customer. For my kids' quilts, I didn't really use a "pattern", because the shirts had such different sizes of designs. I agree with those who recommend stabilizing the shirts first. I used a fusible knit left over from my drapery days, and it worked perfectly. But I used half-inch seams rather than a quarter inch. They were then quilted by tying at each intersection with embroidery floss.

Diana's quilt

Ian's quilt

Customer's quilt

Hope these pictures will help!
--Welmoed

------
View my sewing projects: http://thereshesews.blogspot.com

Margasweet

Margasweet  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/15/05
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom

Date: 1/27/12 12:23 PM

Hi Erica,

Thanks for asking the question about Tshirt quilts, I've often thought about doing that for DD and her "show shirts" (theater productions).

OT again, DH and I studied Finnish before going on a 2-week trip to visit relatives. I had learned a little Finnish as a child but no grammar... so the sounds are familiar to me, but I had to learn how to put things together properly. We used the book "Finnish for Foreigners" and hired a tutor, if your DD can find someone to help with pronunciation etc. it will be very helpful. People keep getting freaked out about all the cases in Finnish, but really instead of using prepositions (in, on, under, going towards, away from etc.) Finnish uses endings or postpositions. Lots easier if you think of it that way. Like instead of "in the house" it's "house-in" (talossa) or "in my house" it's "house-my-in" (talonissa). I think the most unusual part of Finnish is the vowel harmony. PM me if you want.

Marguerite

------
2007 fabric in: 7 1/2 yards; sewn: 7 yds +1/2 yd
2008 fabric in, 23 yards; sewn 20 yds; given away 6 yds -3 yd = -2 1/2 yd
2009 fabric in 41 1/4 yds, sewn 29 yds, given away 22 1/2 yds -10 1/4 = -12 3/4 yd
2010 fabric in 91 1/2 yds, sewn 27 yds, given away 1 1/2 yds; +63 yd = +50 1/4 yd
2011 fabric in: 55 yd.; sewn: 21 yd; given away: 20 yd +14 yd = +64 1/4 yd
2012 fabric in: 60 1/4 yd., sewn 25 1/4 yds, given away 16 yds, thrown away 3 yds scraps; UFOs completed: 7 +26 yd = +90 1/4 yd
2013 fabric in: 28 yds; sewn 25.7 yds.; given away 5 1/2 yd.s; projects 8, UFOs 4 -3 1/4 yd = +87 yd

2014 fabric in: 40.5 yd
2014 fabric sewn: 19 yd
2014 fabric given away: 8 1/2 yd
2014 projects completed: striped maxi skirt, bl/wh maxi dress, brown/turquoise sweater-knit tunic, rose print rayon dress S1587
2014 projects started: turquoise tank dress, tank dress,
2014 UFOs completed: 9 (5 small gift bags, pieced & quilted table runner, blue/wh maxi dress, silk infinity scarf, blue squares sm. quilt)
so far this year: +13 yd. = must do more sewing!

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/28/12 4:46 AM

Finland is a great country to visit, Helsinki is a beautiful city with a vibrant feel. Your daughter is very lucky if she can study there. Finnish is not easy to learn and is in a language group essentially almost by itself, I believe the closest other language is some ancient form of Hungarian. Well worth getting tutored if she plans on studying there.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> T-Shirt Quilt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Chloe Handbag

Chloe Handbag

More Info
You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.