SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Has anyone closed their sewing business? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has anyone closed their sewing business?
Did you get your life back?
M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 1/25/12 6:37 PM

I sew home dec & do a few alterations, but the sewing hobby is gone. I'm thinking of retiring at age 40.

It's good hourly money, but is it worth it? I can't even get supper on the table and clean my house because I'm always in the basement.......sewing.

Has anyone gone through this?

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to M.S.

Date: 1/25/12 6:54 PM

Have you thought about just cutting back? How about only doing the jobs you enjoy the most?

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Date: 1/25/12 7:51 PM

just closed my business this month
I'm finding more time to spend with family, we eat dinner together every night, and I get to sew for pleasure instead of for uncompromising clients who end up being unhappy even though I tried to tell them that the fabric they chose wouldn't drape well with the pattern they chose {sigh}...oh, and I'm 39

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/25/12 9:15 PM

I did once, because my fulltime job got intense and trying to sew for clients on one day a week made me resentful because that was my only day off. Then the fulltime job disappeared and I went back to sewing, but more on my terms and being strict with a calendar. I don't like being in my cave for hours on end, no matter how well appointed it is, but it's better than serving coffee at the doughnut joint.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to M.S.

Date: 1/25/12 9:55 PM

Do you need to replace the income you will lose? If yes, what will you do?

If you have to get a job away from home you will have no more time for dinner or cleaning house.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to Larisa

Date: 1/25/12 10:36 PM

I'm 39, too. I think I'll be 40 by the time I get thru my backlog though. That's why I say retiring at 40. My goal is to be done by the time school's out!

A lot of clients expect miracles. I'm tired of making everyone else's house beautiful at the expense of my own.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to Michelle T

Date: 1/25/12 10:42 PM

I think we'll be okay. We can be very thrifty! I like the extra money, and am proud of the business I've built. I guess I could always start back up if I have to......that just seems flakey.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to Invisigal

Date: 1/25/12 10:44 PM

I tried cutting back to 4 hours per day. It's not going so well for me. My interior decorators can be demanding.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to M.S.

Date: 1/25/12 11:02 PM

I have a sewing business. I set my hours. I also set my days when i'm going to sew. I also work full time. When my customers want something done I set up a date. I tell them when i can have it done. I also save time for family evenings. I limit to one customer at a time.
I wouldn't quite completely. Set your hours. If you want to sew three days a week do that. When people want something done tell them this is how long it will take. Some of those people will go somewhere else and the one that like your sewing will stay.

-- Edited on 1/25/12 11:04 PM --

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to skae

Date: 1/26/12 8:35 AM

skae,

You are smart! I've gotten in too deep and lost control. I am too much of a "yes" person, and always think I can get more done than reality. I've tried to do 1 home dec job per week, but people just keep shoving more stuff in on me, or changing the order mid-job. I am too accommodating, and don't think I can change that about myself. Then, throw in an inevitable rework once in awhile and I'm sunk!

Also, I have to sew most of my husband's clothes, and mine. We are very tall!

It's just too much. Now, how to tell people I'm quitting......

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Has anyone closed their sewing business?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Simplicity 1776

photo
by: sherri930

Review
Sassy Bag

Sassy Bag

Buy Now
SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Fleece Hoodie

photo
by: dolcevita

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.